Charlie Cooper ✍️

Played well second half at Fylde after not impressing me too much at Radcliffe, played well first half against Wigan though and he is a useful addition, no nonsense and didn't mind the physical challenge shall we say, could well start at Torquay if Shez goes defensive.

Still need the quality attacking players in though and the quicker we get those players in the better.

23 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

2 goalscorers for me 

We might already have them..

It's not like last season when we literally had no strikers for periods.  Fondop, Porter, Luamba and Hope (to some extent..) might have goals in them at this level..

27 minutes ago, JoeP said:

We might already have them..

It's not like last season when we literally had no strikers for periods.  Fondop, Porter, Luamba and Hope (to some extent..) might have goals in them at this level..

All dollops. No pace or movement with goals. They offer us other things, but I also reckon we need some pace and mobility.

16 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

All dollops. No pace or movement with goals. They offer us other things, but I also reckon we need some pace and mobility.

Luamba's nippy isn't he?

I'd rather have pace out wide to get the balls in for the targetmen/"dollops".

11 hours ago, LaticMark said:

Indeed. I remember watching (the late) Terry Cooper playing for Leeds and England. A quality left back.

Me too, one of the first wingbacks to make a mark. 

12 hours ago, JoeP said:

Luamba's nippy isn't he?

I'd rather have pace out wide to get the balls in for the targetmen/"dollops".

But only Porter is a goalscorer, but he lacks pace. I'm not sure what Luamba is at the moment, which is fine given his age. Hope is not very mobile, his first touch is poor and his goalscoring ability is limited. He works hard, but he is a dollop. Fondop is also a very large dollop with a poor scoring record. Powerful, but not really someone who is going to bag a few goals. If we add a couple of players with pace, including one with a goalscoring capability, then we would really have enough ammunition to compete.  

Is it only me that is concerned when I see the phrase 'should be good enough for this level' about our players? I am not convinced that this level is as low as some of us may believe, especially clubs in the top half. Without researching it,it feels like National League promoted teams have stayed in League 2 without too much fuss in the past few years. I hope I'm wrong but I think we may be in for a rude awakening if we thing the standard is much  lower than League 2.

I have done some research now for the past 10 years - 2011/12-2020/21

Of the 19 teams relegated from L2 8 have got promotion back. Only 2 at the first time of asking- Bristol R and Cheltenham. 

Of the 20 teams promoted from the NL 4 have been relegated subsequently. 9 are still in L2, 6 in L1 and Luton in the Championship. 

The sides that have come up have done well. Those relegated might have done a bit better than I imagined but 2 out of 19 coming back first time is not encouraging. 

17 minutes ago, astottie said:

Is it only me that is concerned when I see the phrase 'should be good enough for this level' about our players? I am not convinced that this level is as low as some of us may believe, especially clubs in the top half. Without researching it,it feels like National League promoted teams have stayed in League 2 without too much fuss in the past few years. I hope I'm wrong but I think we may be in for a rude awakening if we thing the standard is much  lower than League 2.

Apart from a few who can afford to recruit the better players, the standard of player across the rest of the teams will be generally the same.

The phrase ‘good enough for this level’ is used when referring to the standard level of player.

What Latics currently lack are the ‘better players’ who will make the difference.

29 minutes ago, astottie said:

I've seen a fair few NL games over the last 3 years and I remain convinced it's massively inferior to League Two...

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Not the bottom half of division 2.

Taking Wrexham out of it who have a League 1 budget at least the rest are much of a muchness.

Having a decent manager is probably more important at this level, I really hope we get a different Shez to the one Chesterfield had at this level where he won about 17 out of 52 games (30.6%), they actually lost 22 games.

In fact his record since his last stint with us  of 57 wins in 178 games (31.2%)  makes pretty grim reading so let's hope we get off to a flyer this season.

Archived