Unsworth

10 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

He’s a decent footballer at this level when fully fit but, and he would probably admit it, is now past his best.

He's 27 i think. Unsworth mentions fitness and even pre season for next season as being key. If he sticks to slimming world and the physios get him on track he'll play when 100%.

Dan Gardner is a good player for this level but hasn't been fit at all since he signed. If you're not fit you're going to be off it whoever you are.

I think there is a miss-conception that the lower down the leagues you go the Maghey type centre halves become more effective, but for me that depends on the opposition. Judging by the games I have seen, not too many play hoofball, a lot of them like to get the ball down play in from the flanks with low balls in and across the box, which has were we have conceded the majority of our goals from. Stop the threat out wide and teams will run out of ideas and resort to riskier passes where can turn the possession over quicker. 

As soon as we brought on Couto on the County home game and double up on Nemane (little Ruel Fox) he simply passed the ball back and their full back launched it up in the air where Norman claimed.

No doubt the lad has experience, but I'm not sure that alone is worthy of a place in the side, and if his backs dodgy then a less than mobile player then becomes more of a liability.

At Dorking we started to press from the front which was great to see, but as may have eluded to on here, midfield is the problem, opposition teams have way too much time to pick out their wide men as they come under no real pressure form our midfield (bar Sheron's recent move to midfield), get that sorted and we will be in business.

Best form of defence is attack, all over the pitch.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Hope had one good game all season, away at York. He was his usual headless chicken self in every other game we played...

3 in 7 from wide left / up top before he was battered in the car park.

Edited by Clifford

56 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Thought he had a decent match at home to Aldershot, popped up with a great finish in the last minute. I'm struggling after that.

That was the worst of the lot! He was Aldershot's best player and should have been hauled off 5 minutes before his goal when he shanked the cross into the Rochdale Road End whilst under no pressure. Lucky he wasn't hauled off, mind...

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, disjointed said:

If you think that Pidge is a cunt I hate to think what the rest of the squad rates in your eyes. He was one of the few who gave a shit and gave his all. He made mistakes but without him we would have had our fate sealed a lot sooner. Perhaps Warnock was right. 

Yes without Pidge we'd have been relegated a lot sooner than we were. However as Captain, his sending off and signing for relegation rivals undid all the goodwill he had earned by being respectable in a crap side.

He's not a Charlie Uniform November Tango, but he doesn't get off scot-free. 

Why we didn't appeal his sending off I don't know. Actually scratch that I do know, it was typical Stench false economics, saving money by not spending it only for it to probably cost more money in the long run.

4 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I certainly wouldn't accuse him of deliberately being sent off. But him uncharacteristically getting sent off, and ultimately missing 3 games which saw us relegated, and then signing for the club that stayed up at our expense, certainly sent some alarm bells ringing for me...

And he was practically assisting for the opposition until around November/December. A few months of fist pumping, playing well and doing his job and people make out like he was Vidic last season. 

Proper plodding binman.

8 minutes ago, Clifford said:

And he was practically assisting for the opposition until around November/December. A few months of fist pumping, playing well and doing his job and people make out like he was Vidic last season. 

Proper plodding binman.

How did you see him until November/December? Thought you were boycotting, Scabby...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clifford said:

Proper plodding binman.

Is there a player you actually like?

5 hours ago, Clifford said:

He's 27 i think. Unsworth mentions fitness and even pre season for next season as being key. If he sticks to slimming world and the physios get him on track he'll play when 100%.

He has played over 200 games but his career to date has gone from the playing  Championship football down through the leagues to where he is now.

I suppose that was what I meant with the comment ‘he’s probably past his best’’  👍

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

He has played over 200 games but his career to date has gone from the playing  Championship football down through the leagues to where he is now.

I suppose that was what I meant with the comment ‘he’s probably past his best’’  👍

Just don't think he's fit enough. That may be down to him. Hopefully Clarke can have an influence on him. Talent is clearly there.

6 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Yes without Pidge we'd have been relegated a lot sooner than we were.

That's a preposterous take.

The opposition had a goal or two's start for more than half the season due to his constantly kicking/heading the ball to them and his constant calamitous defending.

The points he directly, single handedly cost us were the difference between staying up and going down - assuming his replacement wouldn't have been as bad, which he wouldn't have been as that's impossible. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

The opposition had a goal or two's start for more than half the season due to his constantly kicking/heading the ball to them and his constant calamitous defending.

The points he directly, single handedly cost us were the difference between staying up and going down - assuming his replacement wouldn't have been as bad, which he wouldn't have been as that's impossible. 

Spot on. He was heroic for a spell but the damage was done.

3 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

Pidge can fuck off. If not for the suspicious Northampton sending off then definitely the flying tackle in the 95th minute to give Bradford 3 points in August.

15 minutes ago, JoeP said:

If Pidge was "shit", all other defenders from last season must be off the scale..

Well, they were, weren't they? That's why we got relegated. I still shudder at that City prick Keith Curle playing Alan Sheehan 10 yards behind every other defender in some games last season...

6 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Well, they were, weren't they? That's why we got relegated. I still shudder at that City prick Keith Curle playing Alan Sheehan 10 yards behind every other defender in some games last season...

Shit defenders certainly makes the list of reasons we got relegated.

Just bizarre that Pidge is picked out for criticism when he was the best we had..

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Fucking hell 😂 forgot about that shit show that we had to witness