Unsworth

Another bad day for Oldham Athletic FC. 😞

Another home defeat.

Another nil in the goals for column.

Another sending off. 

I've made my points quite clear on what I believe Unsworth and co's inadequacies are in other threads, and today just solidifies the view that he has to go before the season becomes a right off.

To change half the side after being "absolutely delighted" with a clean sheet on Saturday, and after in his words a near perfect display at Chesterfield was nonsensical.

Changing the whole front 3 was absolutely nonsensical. Only Kurt who lasted 60 mins at Chesterfield had started a game all season prior to today, and Reid had played 9 minutes to date I think.

Not stating with at least Norwood up front...our marquee signing and top goal scorer was nonsensical.

Playing the Shelton/Sheron crabs together AGAIN at home was nonsensical.

He clearly is way out of his depth, and for over a year now I genuinely have not seen any improvement in his management abilitity or in game management.

He may be a great bloke and I've never made any personal attack on him, but it's not doing the club, the supporters or his own well being any good, him continuing  in a job he's just not cut out to do.

Please.....do the right thing Frank and make a change now, as it's going to get a lot worse I think if he remains in charge.

UNSWORTH OUT/WILD IN.🤞

Edited by Londonboy
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Yes it's a shame we've now got a decent owner and Board and a poor manager which is in direct contrast to our previous regime.

What have the previous regime got to with this, or Corney or Blitz or any other regime. We are talking about the here and now.

2 hours ago, Londonboy said:

Another bad day for Oldham Athletic FC. 😞

Another home defeat.

Another nil in the goals for column.

Another sending off. 

I've made my points quite clear on what I believe Unsworth and co's inadequacies are in other threads, and today just solidifies the view that he has to go before the season becomes a right off.

To change half the side after being "absolutely delighted" with a clean sheet on Saturday, and after in his words a near perfect display at Chesterfield was nonsensical.

Changing the whole front 3 was absolutely nonsensical. Only Kurt who lasted 60 mins at Chesterfield had started a game all season prior to today, and Reid had played 9 minutes to date I think.

Not stating with at least Norwood up front...our marquee signing and top goal scorer was nonsensical.

Playing the Shelton/Sheron crabs together AGAIN at home was nonsensical.

He clearly is way out of his depth, and for over a year now I genuinely have not seen any improvement in his management abilitity or in game management.

He may be a great bloke and I've never made any personal attack on him, but it's not doing the club, the supporters or his own well being any good, him continuing  in a job he's just not cut out to do.

Please.....do the right thing Frank and make a change now, as it's going to get a lot worse I think if he remains in charge.

UNSWORTH OUT/WILDE IN.🤞

The ultimate OWTB accolade, having your name misspelt.

1 hour ago, latics22 said:

Just watched his interview, felt he was really honest. Feel a bit sorry for the guy, he’s obviously doing his best. But he just isn’t good enough.

I felt for him watching it too. It's only a little over 2 weeks ago the ground was singing David Unsworth's Blue & White Army and now look at us.

I don't think anybody comprehended a start this bad though. They say the table takes shape after 10 games and, short of winning the next 4, we'll be outside the top 10 let alone 7.

He needs to split up Shelton and Sheron as a matter of urgency (which to be fair he did at half time and so I'm gonna cut Rhino some slack on that front).  With Lundstram and Ward out I'd be tempted to partner Dickensen with one of them and go for a Willoughby, Tollit or why not Hope wide.

• Like 1

To argue his case, there is only three points separating about a dozen teams, so a brace of wins has a big effect at this point of the season.

That said, the overall performances just haven't been good enough and bear striking similarities to the way we were in November and December last season. He turned it around by settling on a steady 14 players and crunching results out. Personally, I suspect he's only a couple more games from the board losing patience now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

but it literally did make me go wow and laugh and think it was brilliant!!  but yeah, then l didnt back come on the thread for 18 hours so you were right!!

Yeah, everyone is a bit upset and everyone's upset a bit differently - it's just maddening that people all want the best for the club, sometimes with a difference - but no-one deserves to be insulted on here, no matter what they say. Ignorance is always the best option on the internet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A manager’s comments after his team lost yesterday:

"We got what we deserved in terms of the result. It does not need details today, it needs the basic fact that we fell short of our performance levels collectively and individually.

"It wasn't a great game, it had 0-0 written all over it but I didn't feel we would concede. Technically we were miles off it today.

"It is something we need to look at, people will say we made a few changes but whether you have played the last few games or not, you have to be prepared to play. There is no reason why players should not hit the ground running with performance levels."

That’s from the Forest boss, Steve Cooper. I wonder what reaction Unsworth would get if he was as honest as that about his players? 

Edited by TheBigDog
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

"We got what we deserved in terms of the result. It does not need details today, it needs the basic fact that we fell short of our performance levels collectively and individually.

"It wasn't a great game, it had 0-0 written all over it but I didn't feel we would concede. Technically we were miles off it today.

"It is something we need to look at, people will say we made a few changes but whether you have played the last few games or not, you have to be prepared to play. There is no reason why players should not hit the ground running with performance levels."

That’s from the Forest boss, Steve Cooper. I wonder what reaction Unsworth would get if he was as honest as that about his players? 

Far more respect from me. Rather than saying Boreham Wood only made one chance and the 3mins highlight proving that a categorical lie. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

He'd be accused of hanging them out to dry.

• Like 2

It already feels like the season is over and unfortunately has been an expensive mistake.

Im struggling to muster the enthusiasm to actively engage when the games are going on.

When they do eventually sack him, can we even trust the board to find a suitable replacement?

I went to Boreham Wood and I found the whole thing thoroughly depressing and I don’t think I’ll go to another Oldham game for a while.

I am honestly feeling very disillusioned by the whole thing. I am very grateful for the actions taken by the Rothwell family, but we are a club that has been beaten for so long, I’m really uncertain if it can ever learn to win consistently again. 

Im sad I feel this way about the club that I’ve been utterly obsessed with since I could speak, but every man has their limit and I feel I’ve reached mine.

2 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

It already feels like the season is over and unfortunately has been an expensive mistake.

Im struggling to muster the enthusiasm to actively engage when the games are going on.

When they do eventually sack him, can we even trust the board to find a suitable replacement?

I went to Boreham Wood and I found the whole thing thoroughly depressing and I don’t think I’ll go to another Oldham game for a while.

I am honestly feeling very disillusioned by the whole thing. I am very grateful for the actions taken by the Rothwell family, but we are a club that has been beaten for so long, I’m really uncertain if it can ever learn to win consistently again. 

Im sad I feel this way about the club that I’ve been utterly obsessed with since I could speak, but every man has their limit and I feel I’ve reached mine.

Sorry for your loss....

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

One less negative load of shite to read each week

• Like 1

Some of us get tired of reading posts defending the indefensible under the guise of “positivity “. 

There are a lot of us who feel we have a squad with enough quality to be near the top of the league. If that is true of course during a game we will see the signs that we can compete. So if it’s not happening for us, something else isn’t right. As we have a good owner now, there is only one other major element in a football club to look at.  That’s why the call to replace the team management is getting louder.

I’m sure this squad will get some good results, but we are now in the horrible position of needing 4 wins on the trot. New manager bounce is probably the only thing that may get that.

17 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Some of us get tired of reading posts defending the indefensible under the guise of “positivity “. 

There are a lot of us who feel we have a squad with enough quality to be near the top of the league. If that is true of course during a game we will see the signs that we can compete. So if it’s not happening for us, something else isn’t right. As we have a good owner now, there is only one other major element in a football club to look at.  That’s why the call to replace the team management is getting louder.

I’m sure this squad will get some good results, but we are now in the horrible position of needing 4 wins on the trot. New manager bounce is probably the only thing that may get that.

Interesting to see that this thread now runs to 100 pages…

What we saw at Gateshead was a team that tried hard to execute a game plan. High press when out of possession and looking to break quickly. It worked in part - but there were times at the back when we had so many pressing the forward on the ball that we left others free.

We also lost our shape and discipline too often - as illustrated by their second equaliser. At times it resembled playground football.

Yes we created chances and with more composure would have scored more than the two scruffy goals that got us the point.

Are the players being shackled by the managers game plan? To an extent I believe they are - but it’s up to them to do the basics better when on the pitch.

We still seem slow in thought and movement -  and we simply must be more clinical in front of goal.

There is a collective responsibility for our current league position but the buck stops with the coaching staff.

Slight improvement but it has to be more.