Unsworth

2 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Not really. I’m afraid I still find it patronising to suggest that Frank and the Rothwell family are being taken advantage of presumably by someone acting in bad faith? They’ve assembled what appears to be a very experienced and competent board to manage their investment. 

I'll end on this because you want to have the last word 

Bad faith NO

Incompetence YES

24 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

For it to work properly recruitment should be its own department that the first team manager is included in but not in charge of. Success determined by a balance sheet effectively. So if recruitment bod buys a player that doesn’t work out but can still be sold on for profit then that’s still a success of sorts. 

If you recruit a load of Urko Veras then you’re out on your ear. 

This is how I would imagine this sort of thing works but I’m just guessing and not sure that’s what we’re even trying to do!

My point is that a well run club shouldn’t need a complete squad overhaul whenever they change manager. That’s how I see our squad now. It shouldn’t need major surgery if they do decide he’s not the right man. 

I agree, but clubs fortunes have improved when a manager changes without all these different departments since the dawn of time (or dawn of football..).  Admittedly, on the whole, we've been pretty shit at this since Joe Royle left...

I think stats on a spreadsheet are fine to an extent, but most of Management is about dealing with people primarily surely?

If you were a manager surely you'd want to bring in people who you can work with and know you can get this best out of, regardless of what the spreadsheet says?

7 minutes ago, PeteG said:

I don't think there is an open cheque book in all fairness. With the exception of Norwood we aren't talking vast sums, certainly not to the levels of Wrexham but certainly in the top 2 in this division and that's what it boils down to. The league is crap and we are under achieving and it's either poor recruitment or the manager, possibly a combination of the 2. 

Nobody has had this kind of backing for many a year and it's obviously wasted on him but as he's here to stay, I'm more concerned about money being frittered away, leaving whoever takes over the car crash left, zero opportunity to put it right.

That's all.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Nobody has had this kind of backing for many a year and it's obviously wasted on him but as he's here to stay, I'm more concerned about money being frittered away, leaving whoever takes over the car crash left, zero opportunity to put it right.

That's all.

I get what you are trying to say. But it’s pretty naive to suggest Frank and Co have only planned to fund the club for the period of one manager. They are here for the long haul. 

Just now, LightDN123 said:

I get what you are trying to say. But it’s pretty naive to suggest Frank and Co have only planned to fund the club for the period of one manager. They are here for the long haul. 

I've invested money most of my working life and the gravy train only lasts as long as your capital,

You'll have heard the term, Nobody ever got rich by wasting money?

Well, that about sums it up!

11 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

That's all.

Don't disagree with you, I don't believe Unsworth is the man to bring any long term success, I wouldn't have appointed him in the first place but he was always coming once the Royles were involved.

Just now, PeteG said:

Don't disagree with you, I don't believe Unsworth is the man to bring any long term success, I wouldn't have appointed him in the first place but he was always coming once the Royles were involved.

Well, they too must also decide whether their investment is safe or not?

If the manager was a stock in my share portfolio, I'd of sold out last year and cut my losses

That's me talking, not a big business man who should know better

11 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

I've invested money most of my working life and the gravy train only lasts as long as your capital,

You'll have heard the term, Nobody ever got rich by wasting money?

Well, that about sums it up!

This is football, you don’t join the industry to make money. 

3 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

This is football, you don’t join the industry to make money. 

You most certainly don't join it to lose it either,

There comes a time when any club needs to atleast break even and become self supporting, you can guess the rest.

26 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Well, they too must also decide whether their investment is safe or not?

If the manager was a stock in my share portfolio, I'd of sold out last year and cut my losses

That's me talking, not a big business man who should know better

So I may be presuming here but our new owner has considerable more money than you by using his business acumen YET you think he is making the wrong decisions based upon a few football results.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, whittles left foot said:

So I may be presuming here but our new owner has considerable more money than you by using his business acumen YET you think he is making the wrong decisions based upon a few football results.

I don't doubt it but just an observation from someone who hates money being wasted,

If he sees it as right, that's his decision, it wouldn't be mine.

31 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

There comes a time when any club needs to atleast break even and become self supporting, you can guess the rest.

Will have to agree to disagree with this one. Football is not sustainable and it’s becoming less and less so by the day. £100m transfers are the norm now. 

35 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

For somebody who has posted how he deals in stocks and shares you show remarkable little knowledge about how football clubs are run.

14 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

I mean it's a fair comment and you're right.

But I don't think you need to be an astute businessmen to work out that we're paying wages that are high for this division and, football being what it is, because of that we should be challenging at the top.  If we're not, then something's not right and his money isn't being used effectively...

Can't believe the latest talk is being started by @Littlemoor Lad that poor old Frank is too old and naive to know what's best for himself. he's being taken advantage of. Hes soft in the head and has been manipulated to spend his pittance of a pension on Oldham Athletic. 

Don't half chat some you fella.

I'm pretty sure that him and his family are savvy enough to know they ain't making shit all out of this football club and can make their own minds up about where to spend their money.

Making outline he's too scared and timid to say no to big, bad David Unsworth.

Absolute joke comments 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JoeP said:

I mean it's a fair comment and you're right.

But I don't think you need to be an astute businessmen to work out that we're paying wages that are high for this division and, football being what it is, because of that we should be challenging at the top.  If we're not, then something's not right and his money isn't being used effectively...

Fair comment. I have no idea how much money is being spent at this club now-but you are making the usual football supporters mistake that money spent equals success.

4 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Fair comment. I have no idea how much money is being spent at this club now-but you are making the usual football supporters mistake that money spent equals success.

Barring a few anomalies it generally does, doesn't it?

I don't like it myself, but it is what it is... 

3 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

For somebody who has posted how he deals in stocks and shares you show remarkable little knowledge about how football clubs are run.

Bad management, no fans

No fans, no income

No income, no club

It's exactly the same as shares

5 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

We’ve never been lower have we?

17th in the 5th division is hopefully as low as it will get!!

If you want to take a literal meaning then maybe not-I thought we may have actually been  next to bottom briefly last season-but that was not really my point. This club very very nearly disappeared just over a year ago and I would put to you that it is in a much better place now whatever its lge position.

So it's lowest point-No. 

8 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Can't believe the latest talk is being started by @Littlemoor Lad that poor old Frank is too old and naive to know what's best for himself. he's being taken advantage of. Hes soft in the head and has been manipulated to spend his pittance of a pension on Oldham Athletic. 

Don't half chat some you fella.

I'm pretty sure that him and his family are savvy enough to know they ain't making shit all out of this football club and can make their own minds up about where to spend their money.

Making outline he's too scared and timid to say no to big, bad David Unsworth.

Absolute joke comments 

We'll see just how it pans out but I'm sure you'll be the very first to hold up your hand and that would be in keeping with your persona.

Ofcourse, I hope I'm wrong and we win every game from now to the end of the season (without Frank having to bankroll it) 😉

2 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

We'll see just how it pans out but I'm sure you'll be the very first to hold up your hand and that would be in keeping with your persona.

Ofcourse, I hope I'm wrong and we win every game from now to the end of the season (without Frank having to bankroll it) 😉

Maybe you should raise this with Age Concern or the police seen as you feel he's been duped out of his money. Maybe buckets outside the next home game?

1 hour ago, whittles left foot said:

If you want to take a literal meaning then maybe not-I thought we may have actually been  next to bottom briefly last season-but that was not really my point. This club very very nearly disappeared just over a year ago and I would put to you that it is in a much better place now whatever its lge position.

So it's lowest point-No. 

I’m pretty sure Rokerite was referring to our league position not our financial status ie. That for any manager coming in the only way is up!