MATCH: Notts County (A) 26/12/22

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

We could go on for days about how we have fucked shit up over the last 28 years. I will try to sum it up in a few paragraphs.

The root cause is bad leadership, poor owner after poor owner after poor owner and a number of bad actors who have enabled them to carry out the demise of the club in that time too. We've had ambitious plans for stadiums which have never worked out we've had a couple of owners show abit of intent then fuck off and leave us in a worse position from where they found us. False dawn after false dawn has left the fans with a permanent feeling of forboding and anxiety.

Incidentally if you are interested in reading up on the Joe Royle years may I recommend a book called "This is how it feels" written by journalist and fan Mike Keegan. As a football fan and with someone with a connection to the area you might find it really interesting, it chronicles the Royle years and gives great insight into the situations that the club was in and the way Royle himself had to think on his feet. It also shares some of the stories funny and heart warming of the club during that time.

As for our current situation well we currently have owners who not just care about the club but also have a strong sense of Civic duty and want to take care of the towns most important sporting institution. I do believe they will get this right at some point they are making the right noises off the pitch. We will buy back the stadium in the new year and long term off the pitch plans look like they are being drawn up and implemented. Wider investment is being seeked to help the club move forward. The owner also has a good relationship with the local council which hopefully mean they will be a help rather than a hinderence like they have been in the past, although one should never trust politicians but I digress.

On the pitch we appointed David Unsworth who looked a good manager on paper aa he had some good Coaching experience and was looking to make the next step in his career. He also brought in what looks like a good backroom team. The owners have backed him with signings however it's not working and its now looks like a very expensive mistake as we are staring down the barrell of regional football. 

Despite this I'm still optimistic that 2023 will be where things start to turn for the better for us. The off pitch progress we've made in the last 6 months will comtinue. Mr Unsworth will either miraculously turn this round or more likely be sacked. He is the choice of the Royles but The Rothwells(the ones putting the money in) I think will over rule them here if they think relegation is a strong possibility. We have a very bloated squad but we do have quite abit of quality within it. With players proven at this level and with a few key signings in key positions in January then even a semi competent manager will steer us well clear of relegation. A chance to further rebuild in the summer will hopefully see us challenging for promotion next season.

I've been supporting this club for coming upto 33 years next month and if it has told me anything it is that things can always get worse even when you think we've hit rock bottom but I do genuinely believe that this right now here is as low as it will ever get and things will turn for the better.

See you in the Championship in 2028.

NURSE!!!!!!

Great summary of the last 30-odd years. If Unsworth had as sure a grasp when it comes to team selection and tactics we'd be well on the way back to L2!!!

11 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Big Joe has recommended us three managers so far, can you name them? 😂

10 hours ago, JoeP said:

Sharp, Penney, Unsworth...

Poor. No sugar coating it. 

I never knew that. Jeez. Joe Royle walks on water as far as I am concerned but, very deep down, I am concerned. I remember when he came back to manage us at the end of the season (around 2009/10?) and we were very poor. I think he won one game in nine (last game away from home) and turned down the opportunity to manage us for the following season (probably realising his management days were over).

I`ve spent the afternoon today in Liverpool, with an Everton mad fan who tells me that Joe and DU are very close friends. Apparently they worked together for over 2 years with the yoof team, in addition to other joint collaborations. Explains a lot and perhaps re-inforces the view expressed by Lee Sinnot a few times i.e. DU is going nowhere.

I just hope blind loyalty doesn't see us suffer more than we already have - we should not be in this position after the takeover; stop making excuses for an appalling manager and sort it out before it's too late.

• Matt unfeatured this topic

Archived