MATCH: Notts County (A) 26/12/22

We are 6/1 to win our next home game against County, 6 to fucking 1 to win a home game in the National League…….that is absolutely shameful and yet unfortunately is a true reflection of exactly where we are!!!

I would normally be all over that but in our current situation it would be akin to throwing money down the fucking toilet….how have we sunk this low?

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Latics fans... Reading fan here, although exiled on the south coast in East Sussex.

I've joined your forum for two reason:

• I'm astonished and disheartened to see your club where it is now, and I'd like to get some kind of understanding of what the hell has happened and why. It's a "there but for the grace of God..." thing really (from a Royals p-o-v, it depends on how much we trust our owner Mr Dai Yonge (yes, that really is his name), and speculating on what would happen and what he would do should we get relegated).

• The other reason is sentimental. My mum's family were from Greenfield (her ashes are scattered up by Wessenden Reservoir), indeed my grandfather was a regular at the Farrers Arms on Oldham Road for many years, for those of you that know it. He (grandad) took me to my first ever football match at Boundary Park as small boy in the 60s. I think it was against The Swine, complete with "The" Don Rogers in their lineup, a night game and you won 3-1 (I think). It was either Swindon or Cardiff (which I also saw at BP at some point) but I like to think it was the former (probably got all that completely wrong 🤣). As a result of that night, that was me, cursed forever by being hooked to football, and here we are today!

I was expecting some gallows humour on here, but it seems things have got beyond that now. What would relegation to NLN mean for you guys? Semi-pro, surely? Having to vacate BP? What are your realistic hopes now - just simply avoiding relegation ("stop the rot")? Dark times, they may be, but eventually you can bounce back, just look at where Luton are now, for example.

Anyway, all the best in getting the club back up the league(s), and hopefully one day i can come back to BP as an away fan.

If this should be on an "Introduce Yourself" thread, then apologies, please move it to where it should go.

1 minute ago, Royal Sussex said:

Hi Latics fans... Reading fan here, although exiled on the south coast in East Sussex.

I've joined your forum for two reason:

• I'm astonished and disheartened to see your club where it is now, and I'd like to get some kind of understanding of what the hell has happened and why. It's a "there but for the grace of God..." thing really (from a Royals p-o-v, it depends on how much we trust our owner Mr Dai Yonge (yes, that really is his name), and speculating on what would happen and what he would do should we get relegated).

• The other reason is sentimental. My mum's family were from Greenfield (her ashes are scattered up by Wessenden Reservoir), indeed my grandfather was a regular at the Farrers Arms on Oldham Road for many years, for those of you that know it. He (grandad) took me to my first ever football match at Boundary Park as small boy in the 60s. I think it was against The Swine, complete with "The" Don Rogers in their lineup, a night game and you won 3-1 (I think). It was either Swindon or Cardiff (which I also saw at BP at some point) but I like to think it was the former (probably got all that completely wrong 🤣). As a result of that night, that was me, cursed forever by being hooked to football, and here we are today!

I was expecting some gallows humour on here, but it seems things have got beyond that now. What would relegation to NLN mean for you guys? Semi-pro, surely? Having to vacate BP? What are your realistic hopes now - just simply avoiding relegation ("stop the rot")? Dark times, they may be, but eventually you can bounce back, just look at where Luton are now, for example.

Anyway, all the best in getting the club back up the league(s), and hopefully one day i can come back to BP as an away fan.

If this should be on an "Introduce Yourself" thread, then apologies, please move it to where it should go.

Get stuffed!

Purely for Jamie Cureton and me getting hyperthermia in a 1-0 loss in the early 2000's albeit at home (which that bastard Cureton scored a worldy)

This season is panning out awfully, the good feeling from August is evaporating.

I cant think about another relegation, it would be absolutely horrific 

17 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Get stuffed!

Purely for Jamie Cureton and me getting hyperthermia in a 1-0 loss in the early 2000's albeit at home (which that bastard Cureton scored a worldy)

This season is panning out awfully, the good feeling from August is evaporating.

I cant think about another relegation, it would be absolutely horrific 

Thank you for the warm welcome! 🤣

Wiki reckons Cureton is still playing at the tender age of 47 for Enfield. If it's any consolation he scored four against us for Bristol Rovers in a home game we lost 6-0 in 1999 (and more bizarrely the other 2 were from Jason Roberts - he of the 2012 promotion team)!

6 minutes ago, Royal Sussex said:

Thank you for the warm welcome! 🤣

Wiki reckons Cureton is still playing at the tender age of 47 for Enfield. If it's any consolation he scored four against us for Bristol Rovers in a home game we lost 6-0 in 1999 (and more bizarrely the other 2 were from Jason Roberts - he of the 2012 promotion team)!

I watched Cureton play plenty of times for Bishop's Stortford where Enfield now play. My A level results would've been better if it wasn't for the Farrars Arm's and my still lives within a few yards of it. And my brother and his son have season tickets at Reading. As for Latics where we are is the result of 30 years of neglect.

1 minute ago, Monty Burns said:

remember when Ritchie missed that penalty at Elm Park?

that was a long, depressing coach ride home 😢

Graeme Sharp with the most pathetic penalty ever at home against Leeds - he scores that we stay up

Then misses a sitter at Wembley

I hated that man 

2 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Graeme Sharp with the most pathetic penalty ever at home against Leeds - he scores that we stay up

I hated that man 

You need to cut your connections to Everton ("massive club" ya-de-ya-de-ya - haven't won anything in decades of course, although the new ground looks interesting).

Looks to me that Unsworth is hanging on for the pay-off, rather than play-off - remember, managers never quit these days...

Joe Royle was iconic for you guys tho and must rank as your best ever manager, surely? The connection to the Royals there is that he and Steve Coppell both attended Quarry Bank school in Liverpool (along with some other beat-combo guys it seems). Of course, in Berks, Coppell is simply a Living Legend.

Do we need a new thread for all this?

20 hours ago, Royal Sussex said:

You need to cut your connections to Everton ("massive club" ya-de-ya-de-ya - haven't won anything in decades of course, although the new ground looks interesting).

Looks to me that Unsworth is hanging on for the pay-off, rather than play-off - remember, managers never quit these days...

Joe Royle was iconic for you guys tho and must rank as your best ever manager, surely? The connection to the Royals there is that he and Steve Coppell both attended Quarry Bank school in Liverpool (along with some other beat-combo guys it seems). Of course, in Berks, Coppell is simply a Living Legend.

Do we need a new thread for all this?

We could go on for days about how we have fucked shit up over the last 28 years. I will try to sum it up in a few paragraphs.

The root cause is bad leadership, poor owner after poor owner, after poor owner, and a number of bad actors who have enabled them to carry out the demise of the club in that time too. We've had ambitious plans for stadiums which have never worked out, we've had a couple of owners show abit of intent then fuck off and leave us in a worse position from where they found us. False dawn, after false dawn, has left the fans with a permanent feeling of forboding and anxiety.

Incidentally if you are interested in reading up on the Joe Royle years may I recommend a book called "This is how it feels" written by journalist and fan Mike Keegan. As a football fan and with someone with a connection to the area you might find it really interesting, it chronicles the Royle years and gives great insight into the situations that the club was in and the way Royle himself had to think on his feet. It also shares some of the stories funny and heart warming of the club during that time.

As for our current situation, well we currently have owners who not only care about the club but also have a strong sense of civic duty and want to take care of the towns most important sporting institution. I do believe they will get this right at some point. They are making the right noises off the pitch. We will buy back the stadium in the new year, and long term off the pitch plans look like they are being drawn up and implemented. Wider investment is also being seeked to help the club move forward. The owner also has a good relationship with the local council which hopefully will mean they will be a help rather than a hinderence like they have been in the past, although one should never trust politicians but I digress.

On the pitch we appointed David Unsworth who looked a good manager on paper as he had some good Coaching experience and was looking to make the next step in his career. He also brought in what looks like a good backroom team. The owners have backed him with signings. However it's not working and its now looks like a very expensive mistake as we are staring down the barrell of regional football. 

Despite this I'm still optimistic that 2023 will be where things start to turn for the better for us. The off pitch progress we've made in the last 6 months will continue. Mr Unsworth will either miraculously turn this round or more likely be sacked. He is the choice of the Royles but The Rothwells(the ones putting the money in) I think will over rule them here if they think relegation is a strong possibility. We have a very bloated squad but we do have quite abit of quality within it. With players proven at this level and with a few key signings in key positions in January then even a semi competent manager will steer us well clear of relegation. A chance to further rebuild in the summer will hopefully see us challenging for promotion next season.

I've been supporting this club for coming upto 33 years next month, and if it has told me anything it is that things can always get worse even when you think we've hit rock bottom. But I do genuinely believe that this, right now here, is as low as it will ever get and things will turn for the better.

See you in the Championship in 2028.

NURSE!!!!!!

4 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

I hated that man 

Don't even get me started. 

All this and then we make him manager..

14 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Big Joe has recommended us three managers so far, can you name them? 😂

he has more than earned it tho. maybe that's also clouding my judgement!!

Sharp, Penney, Unsworth...

Poor. No sugar coating it. 

11 hours ago, AnthonyOAFC said:

Sunday is going to be toxic isn't it? Some of us in the Athleticos block have been struggling to generate any sort of atmosphere for a while now. Sunday will be a struggle.

It doesn’t need to be. I would hope that everyone who goes to this game gets behind the team and ‘make some noise for the boys’  - I’m not sure how many County will bring but you would like to think it will be 2k or so.

it could be a cracking atmosphere and we might even give it a go. 

Let’s not get too negative before the game has even started 🙏 

11 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

We could go on for days about how we have fucked shit up over the last 28 years. I will try to sum it up in a few paragraphs.

The root cause is bad leadership, poor owner after poor owner after poor owner and a number of bad actors who have enabled them to carry out the demise of the club in that time too. We've had ambitious plans for stadiums which have never worked out we've had a couple of owners show abit of intent then fuck off and leave us in a worse position from where they found us. False dawn after false dawn has left the fans with a permanent feeling of forboding and anxiety.

Incidentally if you are interested in reading up on the Joe Royle years may I recommend a book called "This is how it feels" written by journalist and fan Mike Keegan. As a football fan and with someone with a connection to the area you might find it really interesting, it chronicles the Royle years and gives great insight into the situations that the club was in and the way Royle himself had to think on his feet. It also shares some of the stories funny and heart warming of the club during that time.

As for our current situation well we currently have owners who not just care about the club but also have a strong sense of Civic duty and want to take care of the towns most important sporting institution. I do believe they will get this right at some point they are making the right noises off the pitch. We will buy back the stadium in the new year and long term off the pitch plans look like they are being drawn up and implemented. Wider investment is being seeked to help the club move forward. The owner also has a good relationship with the local council which hopefully mean they will be a help rather than a hinderence like they have been in the past, although one should never trust politicians but I digress.

On the pitch we appointed David Unsworth who looked a good manager on paper aa he had some good Coaching experience and was looking to make the next step in his career. He also brought in what looks like a good backroom team. The owners have backed him with signings however it's not working and its now looks like a very expensive mistake as we are staring down the barrell of regional football. 

Despite this I'm still optimistic that 2023 will be where things start to turn for the better for us. The off pitch progress we've made in the last 6 months will comtinue. Mr Unsworth will either miraculously turn this round or more likely be sacked. He is the choice of the Royles but The Rothwells(the ones putting the money in) I think will over rule them here if they think relegation is a strong possibility. We have a very bloated squad but we do have quite abit of quality within it. With players proven at this level and with a few key signings in key positions in January then even a semi competent manager will steer us well clear of relegation. A chance to further rebuild in the summer will hopefully see us challenging for promotion next season.

I've been supporting this club for coming upto 33 years next month and if it has told me anything it is that things can always get worse even when you think we've hit rock bottom but I do genuinely believe that this right now here is as low as it will ever get and things will turn for the better.

See you in the Championship in 2028.

NURSE!!!!!!

I'm liking the optimism here🙂 - without it, there's no point in following football.

The key words here are We will buy back the stadium. How advanced are the plans to do that? Owning the stadium seems to be crucial - see Derby & Coventry for details. For the southern clubs, the real estate is particularly their Achilles heel, even for a club like Chelsea (apart from Stamford Bridge, they are sitting on a goldmine with their massive training complex at Cobham).

Will check the book out, could be a good holiday read. Good luck on Sunday!

Just now, Royal Sussex said:

I'm liking the optimism here🙂 - without it, there's no point in following football.

The key words here are We will buy back the stadium. How advanced are the plans to do that? Owning the stadium seems to be crucial - see Derby & Coventry for details. For the southern clubs, the real estate is particularly their Achilles heel, even for a club like Chelsea (apart from Stamford Bridge, they are sitting on a goldmine with their massive training complex at Cobham).

Will check the book out, could be a good holiday read. Good luck on Sunday!

Its at a very advanced stage The fee has been agreed and everything it's just with the solicitors to go through the detail its a 20 acre site so no doubt requires a huge amount of legal paperwork. But their is no reason for this to head west so its unlikely to do so.

34 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

It doesn’t need to be. I would hope that everyone who goes to this game gets behind the team and ‘make some noise for the boys’  - I’m not sure how many County will bring but you would like to think it will be 2k or so.

it could be a cracking atmosphere and we might even give it a go. 

Let’s not get too negative before the game has even started 🙏 

my reading is there's loads who will be coming just to be toxic 😞

the team is going to have to pull their tripe out, bc soon as somebody passes it out of play or Maynards second touch is a header thats it

Archived