BPAS PODCAST: 30th Jan '23, S3E24: January Blues

Latics finished January unbeaten in the league, with two wins and two draws, that's decent, we'll take that. Are we seeing a corner turned? Are the new signings making us a much more solid outfit? Are we much fitter and better focused? We discuss these things, as well as the situation on the sale of the ground with Paul Whitehead, former member of the "FLG". One for Big Bazza this... 

To support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 via this link https://anchor.fm/oafcpodcast/subscribe. All the regular episodes will remain free to everyone but only subscribers can access an audio only version of the Latics Football Phone In as a podcast from Friday morning at 7am. If you'd like to make a one off donation, you can now also Buy Us A Coffee by clicking here

You can also support us by visiting https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop. Follow the show on Twitter, Instagram & Facebook @oafcpodcast.

Please subscribe to our YouTube channel here Download and listen to the podcast via the FanHub app, where content creators and fans alike are rewarded for getting involved #ctg.

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

I enjoyed that. The most interesting thing was the underlying mood - I don't think I have listened to a single Pod that was based on cautious optimism, but that was what came through in this one.

I agree about February. Often the most important and pivotal year in a team's season. We are in much the same boat as you - loads of games coming thick and fast, some pretty winnable ones too.

• Matt featured this topic

A good listen as always, although I'm not sure the floodlight discussion will make the highlight reel 😂

The fan guest said he thought we'd start next season with around 17 members of the current squad.

I'm struggling to get beyond 12/13:

Norman; Kitching, Couto, Sutton, Hogan; Tollitt, Shelton, Sheron, Gardner (2nd year of contract), Rooney; Reid, Nuttall and Fondop.

Is there an expectation that we'll sign the three players on season long loans ( P. Clarke, Abraham an Chapman)?

An assumption that we'll sign Varney on longish contract terms?

Are the rest made up of youngsters? I don't think Joe Edwards has got off the bench this season but I note he was on trial at Hull before Vaughan.  

Ah, Burgess and Windass are on two year contracts, that takes us to 15. 

51 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

A good listen as always, although I'm not sure the floodlight discussion will make the highlight reel 😂

The fan guest said he thought we'd start next season with around 17 members of the current squad.

Norman; Kitching, Couto, Sutton, Hogan; Tollitt, Shelton, Sheron, Gardner (2nd year of contract), Rooney; Reid, Nuttall and Fondop.

Is there an expectation that we'll sign the three players on season long loans ( P. Clarke, Abraham an Chapman)?

Are the rest made up of youngsters? I don't think Joe Edwards has got off the bench this season but I note he was on trial at Hull before Vaughan.  

I'm happy with almost all of those players contracted for next season. As long as the majority of summer additions improve the quality and balance of the match day squad. If that happens I'd expect us to be comfortably top 7 next season.

2 hours ago, Hemel latic said:

It’s been reported we’re in talks to sign one or two of the loan players for next season. Chapman was definitely mentioned.

2 hours ago, Hemel latic said:

plus McGahey by the sound of things

6 hours ago, Shrek said:

This podcast gives hope on a weekly basis that the loud drunks are in the vocal minority. Most can see things take time and we're getting there, slowly.

Loud drunks. . 😂

Nah,  just football fans not happy that they can’t win a game of football. 

Then football fans feeling a bit more optimistic when results start to improve. 

We are no different to any other fans.  

9 hours ago, League one forever said:

Loud drunks. . 😂

Nah,  just football fans not happy that they can’t win a game of football. 

Then football fans feeling a bit more optimistic when results start to improve. 

We are no different to any other fans.  

He's half right. The loud drunks have made away games quite toxic at times this season...

17 hours ago, Shrek said:

This podcast gives hope on a weekly basis that the loud drunks are in the vocal minority. 

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

He's half right. The loud drunks have made away games quite toxic at times this season...

Just before kickoff, one of the more well known ‘loud drunks’ came onto the terraces behind me at Aldershot last Saturday. He had obviously had a few. His first ‘chant’ was to have a go at Unsworth before he settled down and got behind the team.

Despite the overly cautious approach from the team on the day, the atmosphere never got toxic - possibly due to the home fans providing a diversion throughout the game. 👍

• Matt unfeatured this topic

Archived