Marc White on tonight's BPAS phone in

Absolutely brilliant and a fantastic listen. If you didn't catch it live then listen once posted up. 

He's just a football fan living a dream. 

Interesting that another manager told him put us under pressure for 5....yes just 5 minutes and the crowd will turn on the players and manager.

But abuse and booing doesn't work against us....right?

Seems we are getting a reputation. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Lags said:

Absolutely brilliant and a fantastic listen. If you didn't catch it live then listen once posted up. 

He's just a football fan living a dream. 

Interesting that another manager told him put us under pressure for 5....yes just 5 minutes and the crowd will turn on the players and manager.

But abuse and booing doesn't work against us....right?

Seems we are getting a reputation. 

It’s the same the football world over. Any well supported club at any level that are drastically underachieving will have the crowd on their backs if they go behind and/or are playing shite. 
Im not saying it’s right, but we are far from unique, apart from the fact that we’ve been waiting 33 years (and counting)  for any glimmer of success.

• Like 9

I think we are slightly different currently Steve. I agree all fans are disgruntled when results and performances are poor. Grumbles can be heard on the terraces.

I think the level of nasty vitriol is up a notch and quicker for sections of the crowd to turn on the team.  I think this stems from the rightful protests in recent times at the club trying to force change. It becomes a culture. That and 30 plus years of decline.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, Lags said:

I think we are slightly different currently Steve. I agree all fans are disgruntled when results and performances are poor. Grumbles can be heard on the terraces.

I think the level of nasty vitriol is up a notch and quicker for sections of the crowd to turn on the team.  I think this stems from the rightful protests in recent times at the club trying to force change. It becomes a culture. That and 30 plus years of decline.

I think every club thinks they’re ‘a bit different’.  The truth is - we’re not. We are exactly the same as other clubs- why?  Because people are people, especially when it comes to football.

Oh, and I think I’m falling in love with Marc White.

I especially liked ‘you either entertain, or you grind out wins-  the problem comes when you’re trying to be hard to beat and don’t win. 

WELCOME TO RHINOBALL MARC. 😎

19 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I think every club thinks they’re ‘a bit different’.  The truth is - we’re not. We are exactly the same as other clubs- why?  Because people are people, especially when it comes to football.

I especially liked ‘you either entertain, or you grind out wins-  the problem comes when you’re trying to be hard to beat and don’t win. 

it was actually impossible to hear that and not think of you!!!

well, l don't know you so l just thought of your username, the dark orangey colour it my phone uses for you and loadsa your opinions.

Aspergers.

sorry again everyone for using the board as therapy!!!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, League one forever said:

You may be right. 

What I will point out.  Check the posts bashing DU for not closing up shop (grinding out the win) against gateshead.  I guess sometimes a person can never win. 

Marc White is certainly likeable that's for sure. 

• Like 1

l stopped watching Dorking Uncovered bc he pissed me off when he was mic'd up durin match coverage but l realised last night that that is on me and my buried issues bc he is shouting the truth at lazy/tired players!!!!

lm buzzin forit now and am starting again from ep1 what a guy 😍

• Like 1

He's a likeable bloke but I don't really get the love in however that's clearly down to me. I do wish they would tone down the language on the call in/pod though. I'm no stranger to industrial language but it just seems a bit unnecessary at times when broadcast, even on a pod or a youtube channel.

In terms of what Marc said about refereeing, "Years ago a ref would just tell me Marc, you're a **** and I'd take that and I knew where I was and just get on with it" and old refs think it was better in there day. It's clearly true there are some significant problems adjusting to new laws and interpretation this year. However, what struck me is that no matter what the industry or profession people who've been around awhile nearly always think it used to be better in the old days. Not sure that's true and you don't have to go too far below National League to see that lack of respect for officials is a major problem.

I don't see why people are resistant to the idea that as a fan base we might be different to others.  We are the most mistreated fans of any team in the country. No promotion or cup win or cup final or play off final or many top half finishes in over 32 years. Who else has had to put up with that?

Most of that time as well we've had little hope. Usually to do with the ownership.  So when things are bad on the pitch, we can complain about the players or the manager or both, and usually the owners would do something about it and make changes. But the thing that was harder to change was the thing that was the root cause of our problems - the ownership. Apart from a small number of seasons (Moore, TTA when they were spending/interested), we've not had reason for real hope because of the people in charge.

Now we do have hope because we have the dream owners. So our expectations instantly sky rocket and there's nothing wrong in expecting things to improve.

But these owners are doing things differently, they're not panicking. They're treating their staff well by trusting them and giving them all the resources possible to succeed in their jobs. A lot of fans have clearly made their decisions, but the board have not. And I think that needs to be respected.

We shouldn't be saying we're not unique. We should accept that we are and accept the reasons for it. No one has had it as shit as us, no one really comes close. It's justified to be impatient given all the shit we've had to put up with for decades. It's our turn for some fucking success! However, that impatience is now being seen as a weapon for the opposition so it's counter productive if we want achieve success.  Ultimately, we have to look at the owners, see that pretty much everything they do is about improving the club and also wanting to improve the town and we have to trust them to get it right. I have no issue with booing a bad performance after the final whistle. Or having a word with Frank on the terraces to tell him your disappointment. Or ranting in the pubs or on social media. But giving the team so much stick so early in games or taking the piss out of them at the first sign of perceived negativity or misplaced pass is now being used against us.

Obviously it would help if we could win a few games too, please Mr Unsworth!

Edited by nzlatic
typo
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I don't see why people are resistant to the idea that as a fan base we might be different to others.  We are the most mistreated fans of any team in the country. No promotion or cup win or cup final or play off final or many top half finishes in over 32 years. Who else has had to put up with that?

Most of that time as well we've had little hope. Usually to do with the ownership.  So when things are bad on the pitch, we can complain about the players or the manager or both, and usually the owners would do something about it and make changes. But the thing that was harder to change was the thing that was the root cause of our problems - the ownership. Apart from a small number of seasons (Moore, TTA when they were spending/interested), we've not had reason for real hope because of the people in charge.

Now we do have hope because we have the dream owners. So our expectations instantly sky rocket and there's nothing wrong in expecting things to improve.

But these owners are doing things differently, they're not panicking. They're treating their staff well by trusting them and giving them all the resources possible to succeed in their jobs. A lot of fans have clearly made their decisions, but the board have not. And I think that needs to be respected.

We shouldn't be saying we're not unique. We should accept that we are and accept the reasons for it. No one has had it as shit as us, no one really comes close. It's justified to be impatient given all the shit we've had to put up with for decades. It's our turn for some fucking success! However, that impatience is now being seen as a weapon for the opposition so it's counter productive if we want achieve success.  Ultimately, we have to look at the owners, see that pretty much everything they do is about improving the club and also wanting to improve the town and we have to trust them to get it right. I have no issue with booing a bad performance after the final whistle. Or having a word with Frank on the terraces to tell him your disappointment. Or ranting in the pubs or on social media. But giving the team so much stick so early in games or taking the piss out of them at the first sign of perceived negativity or misplaced pass is now being used against us.

l didnt think we were different until now and am adding string to my bow, fuckit.

we are Oldham

little Oldham

we don't win shit

but we care

mostly for you 

some against you

but we turn up

everywhere

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

It’s got nothing to do with our history in my view, (have you seen the reaction to 3 wins on the bounce, a lot think we should romp the league- how is that possible if we’re so brow beaten) ) and everything to do with human behaviour and the emotions that come with being a football fan. 

Marc said he has spurs friends who wanted Poch gone- after he had spent nothing and got them to a champions league final. 

Andy Jacobs on talksport is always highly emotive and reactionary to any Chelsea result. 

At every single club- the world falls in when results are poor, and expectation goes through the roof when results are good. We are exactly the same as everybody else. 

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

It’s got nothing to do with our history in my view, (have you seen the reaction to 3 wins on the bounce, a lot think we should romp the league- how is that possible if we’re so brow beaten) ) and everything to do with human behaviour and the emotions that come with being a football fan. 

Marc said he has spurs friends who wanted Poch gone- after he had spent nothing and got them to a champions league final. 

Andy Jacobs on talksport is always highly emotive and reactionary to any Chelsea result. 

At every single club- the world falls in when results are poor, and expectation goes through the roof when results are good. We are exactly the same as everybody else. 

Yeah I know you have your view on this and there's no chance on moving it!

And I'm not saying other fans don't complain about stuff. I'm just saying that for me it is logical that the long term experience of a fanbase will have some affect on it's mentality. You get a glimpse of it online, where noises are made that we're heading to financial ruin if we don't go up this season etc. Or that the only explanation for not sacking him yet is because its jobs for the boys, or that Frank is naive and exploited or other similar bollocks. The simplest explanation is they want to give him time because they think it's the right thing to do and their experience in business is to give employees the time and resources to flourish. If it doesn't work out with Unsworth then they've tried their best, but that approach will pay off long term.  

My opinon (ie I'm not presenting all this as fact) is that our fanbase is more likely to jump to those negative conclusions quicker, in more numbers and more vocally than other clubs because we have been conditioned to expect doom at every turn.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, League one forever said:

yes but ours have been poor the longest yet lets take it out Rhino against Franks wishes?

nah

15 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

My opinon (ie I'm not presenting all this as fact) is that our fanbase is more likely to jump to those negative conclusions quicker, in more numbers and more vocally than other clubs because we have been conditioned to expect doom at every turn.

it's a fact. 

tryna tell the masses on fb they donnae like it 

its possible lve presented far less effectively than above!!

18 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Yeah I know you have your view on this and there's no chance on moving it!

And I'm not saying other fans don't complain about stuff. I'm just saying that for me it is logical that the long term experience of a fanbase will have some affect on it's mentality. You get a glimpse of it online, where noises are made that we're heading to financial ruin if we don't go up this season etc. Or that the only explanation for not sacking him yet is because its jobs for the boys, or that Frank is naive and exploited or other similar bollocks. The simplest explanation is they want to give him time because they think it's the right thing to do and their experience in business is to give employees the time and resources to flourish. If it doesn't work out with Unsworth then they've tried their best, but that approach will pay off long term.  

I’m not presenting it as fact, I’ve said each time ‘in my view’ - it’s only opinion. 

I understand the point you’re making about how unsuccessful we’ve been. But if you’re correct- why isn’t that mindset still prevelant when we win or go a run??

All you hear after 3 wins is- ‘we should hammer these’ or ‘it’s a leisure centre club’ Eyrsey likes to tell us all time how entitled the fanbase is. 

In my view fan reaction/feeling/opinion lives and dies by results. 

Let me ask you- do you think if we went the next ten unbeaten,  anyone would be talking about 30 years of hurt?

Because I don’t, I think it will would quickly flip and all we would hear is ‘about time’ ‘we should win league from here’ 

26 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

their experience in business is to give employees the time and resources to flourish.

Two things come to mind

-Our most successful period was under two long serving managers

-The five longest serving managers in the premier league are currently in 1st/3rd/4th/5th and 8th

I get it that if you are successful you get to stay in the job so it becomes a little self fulfilling but constant chopping and changing hasn't been a glorious success over the last 10 years..

If Unsworth is to flourish I'd just wish he'd get on with it.

16 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

yes but ours have been poor the longest yet lets take it out Rhino against Franks wishes?

nah

I wasn’t taking about Rhino here, just fan mentality about quality of football/results. 

The same thing that is happening to Unsy happened with Ronnie Moore 15 years ago. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I’m not presenting it as fact, I’ve said each time ‘in my view’ - it’s only opinion. 

I understand the point you’re making about how unsuccessful we’ve been. But if you’re correct- why isn’t that mindset still prevelant when we win or go a run??

All you hear after 3 wins is- ‘we should hammer these’ or ‘it’s a leisure centre club’ Eyrsey likes to tell us all time how entitled the fanbase is. 

In my view fan reaction/feeling/opinion lives and dies by results. 

Let me ask you- do you think if we went the next ten unbeaten,  anyone would be talking about 30 years of hurt?

Because I don’t, I think it will would quickly flip and all we would hear is ‘about time’ ‘we should win league from here’ 

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you were stating fact either.

The mentality I'm talking about is to do with how we handle adversity, rather than triumph. For me, we're now set up as a club to absorb short term adversity because of the owners. This is why I don't see the form at the start of the season as being as disastrous as others might. And might explain their patience. But a large number of vocal fans are acting like we're not set up like that. I can understand that though because that's all we've experienced for decades.

I saw on twitter last night someone saying that blindly supporting the club now is akin to blindly supporting the club during the whole Torex thing. That's bonkers to compare the two.

Edit - I might be being unfair here. I might be able to take that position because I live down south and am not investing as much time or money as others. I rarely get to home games so don't experience how much a social day out with friends or family could be impacted by a shit game. So it is easier for me to tell other people to chill out because I'm less impacted by what happens.

Edited by nzlatic
self reflection

51 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Totally agree and I posted similar earlier. It's also clear from Marc last night opposition managers are now actively looking to use it. So we know what WE can do to remove that tool.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Lags said:

Totally agree and I posted similar earlier. It's also clear from Marc last night opposition managers are now actively looking to use it. So we know what WE can do to remove that tool.

do you feel like you are repeating yourself :rolleyes:

edit btw check me out doin web style emojis on my capitalist tracking device!!

Edited by Monty Burns
as above