Marc White on tonight's BPAS phone in

21 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you were stating fact either.

No bother. 

22 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

The mentality I'm talking about is to do with how we handle adversity, rather than triumph.

It’s the same thing to me, the same fans who boo and get on players backs (IE the partisan) are the same fans that sing non stop when we’re winning. They‘re highly emotive- that’s great when you’re winning, not great when you’re losing. But the place would be very very quiet without them. . . so you take the rough with the smooth. (As every club does) 

What’s really interesting to me is- what do we expect from Circa 7/8000 people? Because if the consensus is- booing and calling players out isn’t helpful. . . . Then in effect we expect all those people to cheer largely poor football and results, don’t criticise and just sit quietly. Which is virtually impossible given how we involved we become. 

In short- what is a reasonable request in theory, is not any way going to happen in practice. 

12 minutes ago, League one forever said:

No bother. 

It’s the same thing to me, the same fans who boo and get on players backs (IE the partisan) are the same fans that sing non stop when we’re winning. They‘re highly emotive- that’s great when you’re winning, not great when you’re losing. But the place would be very very quiet without them. . . so you take the rough with the smooth. (As every club does) 

What’s really interesting to me is- what do we expect from Circa 7/8000 people? Because if the consensus is- booing and calling players out isn’t helpful. . . . Then in effect we expect all those people to cheer largely poor football and results, don’t criticise and just sit quietly. Which is virtually impossible given how we involved we become. 

In short- what is a reasonable request in theory, is not any way going to happen in practice. 

I remember going to the forest away game in the cup and sitting next to a group of fans that gave the team dogs abuse at half time. I remember thinking it was a bit over the top but then in the second half they were singing from the off and they were the noisiest of everyone. At the time, despite me not agreeing with the booing, I saw then how important fans like that are. So I totally accept your point about that.

My issue is with something that I think is relatively new, I certainly haven't seen it before unless we're getting tonked... the stuff that happens early in games when we're not even losing. The stuff after 30 minutes at Chesterfield. The stuff at Borehamwood (ie chanting about san marino during the game and waving san marino flags at the players when they came over to clap). Sarcastically cheering the 4th official when he puts Nuttall's number up irrespective of whether he's had a good game or not. The angry shouting at Frank in the stands. I think it's a reasonable to ask our own fans not to do that. I think it's that sort of stuff that opponents are referring to when talking about how to use our own fans as a weapon.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

My issue is with something that I think is relatively new, I certainly haven't seen it before unless we're getting tonked... the stuff that happens early in games when we're not even losing. The stuff after 30 minutes at Chesterfield. The stuff at Borehamwood (ie chanting about san marino during the game and waving san marino flags at the players when they came over to clap). Sarcastically cheering the 4th official when he puts Nuttall's number up irrespective of whether he's had a good game or not. The angry shouting at Frank in the stands. I think it's a reasonable to ask our own fans not to do that. I think it's that sort of stuff that opponents are referring to when talking about how to use our own fans as a weapon.

Yeah, agreed. There is nuance. 

If you’re getting hammered at home, you can understand the booing and to a certain degree the calling out of shit performance’s. 

But the San Marino thing is just bizarre.  The idea that we’ll take the piss out of our own team before a ball is kicked is just weird. As is hammering them at 0-0.

While the game is in the balance, (or not even kicked off😂) we should get behind them. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, League one forever said:

No bother. 

yanowhat thats true about the numbers. clear evidence tho we have the reputation cant ignore facts.

well..

4 hours ago, League one forever said:

No bother. 

Absolutely correct. Anyone with any real emotion in their body shouldn’t want it that way either. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

Absolutely brilliant listen that! Marc is a legend and one of the best things in football. I’m watching “Bunch of Amateurs” from the beginning and it’s extraordinary what they have achieved 

I'm planning to do this too - is the first one this? 

Or was there a separate series before this one called Bunch of Amateurs?

On 9/7/2023 at 12:05 PM, League one forever said:

It’s got nothing to do with our history in my view, (have you seen the reaction to 3 wins on the bounce, a lot think we should romp the league- how is that possible if we’re so brow beaten) ) and everything to do with human behaviour and the emotions that come with being a football fan. 

Marc said he has spurs friends who wanted Poch gone- after he had spent nothing and got them to a champions league final. 

Andy Jacobs on talksport is always highly emotive and reactionary to any Chelsea result. 

At every single club- the world falls in when results are poor, and expectation goes through the roof when results are good. We are exactly the same as everybody else. 

Can't disagree with your points here overall, though I would say maybe if/when we win 3 on the bounce the OTT reaction that you describe might be precisely because we are so success starved. Bit like a guy dying of thirst being given water - if he doesn't sip it but gulps it down, it can have disastrous consequences!

On 9/7/2023 at 12:18 PM, nzlatic said:

Yeah I know you have your view on this and there's no chance on moving it!

And I'm not saying other fans don't complain about stuff. I'm just saying that for me it is logical that the long term experience of a fanbase will have some affect on it's mentality. You get a glimpse of it online, where noises are made that we're heading to financial ruin if we don't go up this season etc. Or that the only explanation for not sacking him yet is because its jobs for the boys, or that Frank is naive and exploited or other similar bollocks. The simplest explanation is they want to give him time because they think it's the right thing to do and their experience in business is to give employees the time and resources to flourish. If it doesn't work out with Unsworth then they've tried their best, but that approach will pay off long term.  

My opinon (ie I'm not presenting all this as fact) is that our fanbase is more likely to jump to those negative conclusions quicker, in more numbers and more vocally than other clubs because we have been conditioned to expect doom at every turn.

You make some great points and actually I find myself agreeing with both you and L1F, so it's clearly a tricky subject!

Where I do think L1F has a good point is re fans complaining. I always remember the second FA Cup SF v United in 1994 at Wembley for the dogs abuse that Giggs got from United fans that day, it was unbelievable.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2023 at 1:47 AM, marhar said:

Or was there a separate series before this one called Bunch of Amateurs?

Bunch of Amateurs started by following Barks around first at Charlewood - which was superb. Later, the Dorking and Marc White series started.

BoA have series on Charlewood, Holland Sports FC, Dorking and starting this season, Walton and Hersham in Surrey.

I can recommend watching them all, they're brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/@BunchOfAmateurs/playlists 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Matt said:

Bunch of Amateurs started by following Barks around first at Charlewood - which was superb. Later, the Dorking and Marc White series started.

BoA have series on Charlewood, Holland Sports FC, Dorking and starting this season, Walton and Hersham in Surrey.

I can recommend watching them all, they're brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/@BunchOfAmateurs/playlists 

Great, thanks for the info - will definitely take a look