This squad

32 minutes ago, PeteG said:

How you can say Kurt would improve the sides at the top of the division is beyond me. You could of course be right in the long term but we've barely seen anything of him to even have an opinion on him. I did say when we signed him and everyone was getting excited that he'd only done it at the level below and he had to prove he could do it at this level. The jury is still out, through no fault of his own at this stage but it does worry me that 3 managers have seen him in training and none of them felt he is worthy of a start so far.

Yeah, fair do’s.

We haven’t seen enough to judge this season, I included him because of his record last season and I’m sure everyone with the exception of chesterfield would’ve been interested. He was seen as a coup when he got him, and had other offers. 

Quite a lot signed on for next year already.

1. Magnus Norman (2025)
13. Matt Hudson (2025)
3. Mark Kitching (2025)
5. Shaun Hobson (2025)
16. Charlie Raglan (2025)
21. Will Sutton (2025)
6. Mark Shelton (2025)
8. Josh Lundstram (2025)
11. Dan Ward (2025)
14. Nathan Sheron (2025)
15. Devarn Green (2024, with option for 1 more year)
7. Kurt Willoughby (2025)
10. Joe Nuttall (2025)
25. Alex Reid (2025)
30. James Norwood (2025, with option for 1 more year)

15 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Yeah, fair do’s.

We haven’t seen enough to judge this season, I included him because of his record last season and I’m sure everyone with the exception of chesterfield would’ve been interested. He was seen as a coup when he got him, and had other offers. 

I'm not saying he isn't good enough, he just has to prove it. Tbf to the lad he hasn't been given a chance and the odd game he has had he's been stuck out on the wing. I'd like to see more of him myself but I can't help worrying that 3 managers (albeit 1 has only been here for 2 weeks) have seen him in training and he hasn't even been making the bench. It's weird that Unsworth was chasing him for so long apparently but then didn't even give him a chance. If it is based on what he's showing in training, there has been plenty of players over the years who did nothing in training but performed on a Saturday at 3pm. I think the lad deserves a chance up front alongside Norwood and to be told not to worry you're in the side for the next 5 games regardless. It would ease the pressure on him and we might just find we've got a player on our hands.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Quite a lot signed on for next year already.

1. Magnus Norman (2025)
13. Matt Hudson (2025)
3. Mark Kitching (2025)
5. Shaun Hobson (2025)
16. Charlie Raglan (2025)
21. Will Sutton (2025)
6. Mark Shelton (2025)
8. Josh Lundstram (2025)
11. Dan Ward (2025)
14. Nathan Sheron (2025)
15. Devarn Green (2024, with option for 1 more year)
7. Kurt Willoughby (2025)
10. Joe Nuttall (2025)
25. Alex Reid (2025)
30. James Norwood (2025, with option for 1 more year)

15 players with over 18 months left, a major overhaul ain’t happening. But there’s scope to mould a bit to more of what Mellon wants in the summer. 

On 10/25/2023 at 2:50 PM, oafc1955 said:

It’s been said many times that this squad is more than capable of mounting a challenge under the right manager.

Hopefully we now have that manager, however, I was looking at our current squad and trying to decide who I would like to keep and the players I’d let go.

✔️There are surprisingly only 10 I would want to keep! 

X  I would release 8 

❓There are 7 more I’m unsure about due to not having seen them play enough or who have recent or ongoing

fitness / injury concerns.

Hudson      ✔️

Norman      ✔️

Kitching     ✔️

Hogan        ✔️

Hobson      ✔️

Raglan       ❓

McGahey   ❓

Sutton        ✔️

Freeman    ❓

Couto          X

Shelton        X

Lundstram  ✔️

Ward           ❓

Sheron        ✔️

Tollitt            X

Gardner       ❓

Dickenson   ❓

Willoughby. ❓

Fondop         X

Nuttall           X

Green            X

Hope             X

Reid              ✔️

Norwood      ✔️

Are we really good enough and how many new players do we actually need!

My thoughts on the squad.

Hudson      

Norman      

Both keepers are average for the division. Not really bothered which of them plays on a regular basis as I don't think there is much between them. They will both do for now as we have more pressing issues but one or both would need replacing if we got promoted.

Kitching     Decent going forward, ok defensively. Got a good engine on him and could step up into League 2. 

Hogan        Don't really rate him tbh. Plenty of CB's in the division better and as good as him. Couldn't step up into League 2 if required, probably the reason Stockport got shut.

Hobson      Been really impressed with him although he's raw. Will only get better, he's a big lad, quick and comfortable on the ball. Will definitely play at a much higher level and we may struggle to keep hold of him long term.

Raglan       Not really seen enough of him but i'm not buying it we've got a League 1 CB. He only featured for Cheltenham in League 1 about 15 times last season and that includes sub appearances. No League 1 side would be looking at him now. Surprised he's only 30. I'd like to see him have an extended run alongside Hobson tbh and i'd like to think he will be an improvement on Hogan.

McGahey   Can he overcome his injuries? If he can, he's a better option than Hogan at the back and showed he's versatile in playing as a defensive midfielder recently. Decent squad player to have at this level.

Sutton        Been thrown in at the deep end and primarily played out of position. Think he has a future although can't see him playing much higher than league 2. Happy to keep him around for the foreseeable and see how he progresses.

Freeman    Can't even comment on him. Been on paternity for about 6 weeks? Unless there was a problem (I really hope all his family are well) then seems odd. He's not had the baby as Roy Keane once said.

Couto          I thought this lad had a great deal of potential when he first broke into the side. Looked quick, good going forward with a decent delivery on him. I thought he was a better prospect than Vaughan tbh but seems to have gone backwards. Have we broke him throwing him in on a regular basis in very difficult circumstances. Like to see him back and see if he can have a fresh start under Mellon.

Shelton        Garbage, get rid asap. One of the worst to wear the shirt and that's saying something.

Lundstram   Not seen enough yet but again I think we got over excited with his signing. He's a lot to prove yet and won't suddenly transform that midfield on his own. Didn't really make it in League 2 with Crewe but doesn't mean he won't long term. Happy to see if he can progress.

Ward           Again, not seen enough but seems we've signed a player in the same mould as Sheron. All teams need that type of player but we certainly don't need more than 1 in the starting 11. Happy to have him in the squad and see what he can do.

Sheron        I actually like Sheron. Does a lot of the dirty work, got a great engine and does actually pop up with the odd goal. Limited from a technical point of view but he does a job, just needs a couple of footballers around him.

Tollitt            I liked what i saw of him last season. Technically good on the ball but does go missing in games but that's pretty common for that type of player. Think he is an asset to the squad whether it's starting games where we need to unlock a defensive away side or coming off the bench when we need a goal. Went into his shell under Unsworth and another who needs a fresh start. Played under Mellon so he will already have a decent idea about him.

Gardner       Finished, if we get a dozen games out of him between now and May it will be a bonus and then it's time to say thanks and show him the door.

Dickenson   Has looked ok when he's played. Obviously got a great left peg but had his injury problems so not sure how many games we can rely on him for. Squad player for now.

Willoughby.  Needs a run of games and a goal. Confidence is massive with strikers and his has probably been hit for 6. No real opinion on him at the moment as we haven't seen what he can do. Hope he gets a run of games soon and proves a decent signing.

Fondop         Not really good enough. Comes up with the odd worldy but he's very limited. Decent option to throw on from the bench so i'd keep him around for now.

Nuttall           Frustrating to say the least. He's a big lad and no doubt there is some ability there but he's not done it and doesn't look interested. Probably best for both parties he moves on.

Green            Similar bracket to Tollitt for me. He's got pace and an eye for goal but inconsistent, again not unusual for wide men especially at the level. Happy to keep him for the time being but need better long term.

Hope             Don't particularly rate him that highly but does provide an option for us wide left and is as good as anyone we currently have in that position so on that basis i'd keep him. Does depend on formation though as for me can play wide left in a 433 but not in a 442 or 4141 as he's clueless defensively.

Reid              Not sure about him, does seem to score when he gets a chance but doesn't do enough for me although it is hard to judge our strikers with the service they have had over the past 12 months. Happy to keep and see if he can forge a partnership with Norwood.

Norwood      Been done to death on the other thread. By far and away our best player. Build the team around him!

• Like 1

Just re-read what i've wrote and given we all thought what a stellar attack we had, i've got question marks over 5 of the 6 forwards!?!? Hope i'm completely wrong but it's not quite as good as we thought but we do all think it's the midfield that is restricting the forwards plus the fact that Unsworth was so negative. With that in mind, they are all worth a new chance under Mellon but he needs to come up with a partner and formation for Norwood asap. Given he knows all about Norwood I'm confident he will do but it would be nice to see the same partnership up front for at least half a dozen games to give them some time to gel. My initial thoughts are to give Willoughby a run of games with Norwood, with Fondop and Reid options from the bench unless Nuttall suddenly has a change of attitude and puts in a performance like he did against Aldershot which is 1 in about 12 months now.

14 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Just re-read what i've wrote and given we all thought what a stellar attack we had, i've got question marks over 5 of the 6 forwards!?!? Hope i'm completely wrong but it's not quite as good as we thought but we do all think it's the midfield that is restricting the forwards plus the fact that Unsworth was so negative. With that in mind, they are all worth a new chance under Mellon but he needs to come up with a partner and formation for Norwood asap. Given he knows all about Norwood I'm confident he will do but it would be nice to see the same partnership up front for at least half a dozen games to give them some time to gel. My initial thoughts are to give Willoughby a run of games with Norwood, with Fondop and Reid options from the bench unless Nuttall suddenly has a change of attitude and puts in a performance like he did against Aldershot which is 1 in about 12 months now.

I'd go with Willoughby upfront with Norwood, in his few appearances he has looked lively and with the benefit of a run of games under his belt I reckon he will step up to this level. If they could strike up an understanding we could have a potent strike force on our hands. The caveat being we need to sort the midfield out, if they are all fit I'd go with Gardner, Lundstram, Dickenson with either Sheron or Mcgahey as the cdm. 

5 hours ago, PeteG said:

I'm not saying he isn't good enough, he just has to prove it. Tbf to the lad he hasn't been given a chance and the odd game he has had he's been stuck out on the wing. I'd like to see more of him myself but I can't help worrying that 3 managers (albeit 1 has only been here for 2 weeks) have seen him in training and he hasn't even been making the bench. It's weird that Unsworth was chasing him for so long apparently but then didn't even give him a chance. If it is based on what he's showing in training, there has been plenty of players over the years who did nothing in training but performed on a Saturday at 3pm. I think the lad deserves a chance up front alongside Norwood and to be told not to worry you're in the side for the next 5 games regardless. It would ease the pressure on him and we might just find we've got a player on our hands.

Yep…I would be tempted to give Willoughby an extended run alongside Norwood. He’s never really had any sort of run in the side and usually only comes on in the closing stages of a defeat!!

He scored 27 goals for Chester last season in the division below and we only managed to beat them after a replay and Peterborough Sports from the same division on penalties.

The vast majority of players with that sort of record would be an obvious target for the division above.

We could potentially have a very good pairing there but we’ll never know unless we try it!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Yep…I would be tempted to give Willoughby an extended run alongside Norwood. He’s never really had any sort of run in the side and usually only comes on in the closing stages of a defeat!!

He scored 27 goals for Chester last season in the division below and we only managed to beat them after a replay and Peterborough Sports from the same division on penalties.

The vast majority of players with that sort of record would be an obvious target for the division above.

We could potentially have a very good pairing there but we’ll never know unless we try it!

Exactly, it's certainly a strange one that none of the 3 managers has give him a run yet although Mellon has only had 2 games and both were away from home. Whatever he's doing in training isn't impressing anyone right now so he needs to pick it up. Let's hope he does get a run and i'm sure a goal or two would do him the world of good.