This squad

It’s been said many times that this squad is more than capable of mounting a challenge under the right manager.

Hopefully we now have that manager, however, I was looking at our current squad and trying to decide who I would like to keep and the players I’d let go.

✔️There are surprisingly only 10 I would want to keep! 

X  I would release 8 

❓There are 7 more I’m unsure about due to not having seen them play enough or who have recent or ongoing

fitness / injury concerns.

Hudson      ✔️

Norman      ✔️

Kitching     ✔️

Hogan        ✔️

Hobson      ✔️

Raglan       ❓

McGahey   ❓

Sutton        ✔️

Freeman    ❓

Couto          X

Shelton        X

Lundstram  ✔️

Ward           ❓

Sheron        ✔️

Tollitt            X

Gardner       ❓

Dickenson   ❓

Willoughby. ❓

Fondop         X

Nuttall           X

Green            X

Hope             X

Reid              ✔️

Norwood      ✔️

Are we really good enough and how many new players do we actually need!

16 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

It’s been said many times that this squad is more than capable of mounting a challenge under the right manager.

Hopefully we now have that manager, however, I was looking at our current squad and trying to decide who I would like to keep and the players I’d let go.

✔️There are surprisingly only 10 I would want to keep! 

X  I would release 8 

❓There are 7 more I’m unsure about due to not having seen them play enough or who have recent or ongoing

fitness / injury concerns.

Hudson      ✔️

Norman      ✔️

Kitching     ✔️

Hogan        ✔️

Hobson      ✔️

Raglan       ❓

McGahey   ❓

Sutton        ✔️

Freeman    ❓

Couto          X

Shelton        X

Lundstram  ✔️

Ward           ❓

Sheron        ✔️

Tollitt            X

Gardner       ❓

Dickenson   ❓

Willoughby. ❓

Fondop         X

Nuttall           X

Green            X

Hope             X

Reid              ✔️

Norwood      ✔️

Are we really good enough and how many new players do we actually need!

I actually agree with the majority of that, which is pretty sad with all the money we’ve spent. What a mess we’ve made of recruitment, not always in terms of quality buy also in terms of the balance of the side. 

I’d remove the tick against Hogan, who I think whilst Ok at this level is very much a NL standard Centre half who is very replaceable. I’d also keep the tick against Sutton, on the provision it was a Centre half only, and we’d be fine with Raglan, Hobson, McGahey and Sutton as centre halfs for the season. 

Controversial opinion, and whilst it’s not going to happen i’d get rid of both keepers. Nothing against them, and not the worst we’ve had, but they are just OK for me, and i’d be looking for an improvement in the summer. Definitely not our biggest issue though. 

Unfortunately i’d have a cross next to Gardner too. If he could stay fit it wouldn’t be a ? It’d be a tick, but he can’t stay fit and I don’t see how at his age those niggly muscle injuries will suddenly disappear. We’ve looked our best when he’s been in the side, and so it’s a shame, but thats football. 

I’d probably keep Fondop.

Green is a strange one for me. I got pelters last season when I said players like him are ten a penny at this level. Then to be fair he showed glimpses and looked a good player, and I was thinking maybe I was wrong. I’d say the last 4 or 5 games though he’s been a passenger for the large majority of the games, and i’ve been more impressed by the player in his position on the opposing side, and so i’m back in the ten a penny opinion on him. *awaits pelters*

Hope, Tollitt, Nuttall, Couto and Shelton can all go today for me. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

No idea obviously but that’s not what I asked is it?😆

Indeed.  But we can't help navel gazing - especially after last night.  Fact is we've had one incompetent manager, one temporary novice manager and  one who's only had a couple of games.  I'd hope your retain list would have more names in it a few months down the line when we hopefully have a more coherent approach in place

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

No idea obviously but that’s not what I asked is it?😆

He has a point though. 

How many of Barnets, Woking, or alty’s squad would get in our first team?  I’d guess not many. 

Yes, the squad is imbalanced and it definitely needs two more. But a lot of them players are more than capable and some have played at higher levels. So it’s attitude/desire/application with a lot of them. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, League one forever said:

He has a point though. 

How many of Barnets, Woking, or alty’s squad would get in our first team?  I’d guess not many. 

Yes, the squad is imbalanced and it definitely needs two more. But a lot of them players are more than capable and some have played at higher levels. So it’s attitude/desire/application with a lot of them. 

How many of ours would improve the top sides in the division is perhaps the more important question...

18 minutes ago, daniel said:

I’d remove the tick against Hogan, who I think whilst Ok at this level is very much a NL standard Centre half who is very replaceable. I’d also keep the tick against Sutton, on the provision it was a Centre half only, and we’d be fine with Raglan, Hobson, McGahey and Sutton as centre halfs for the season. 

Really don't get this-to pick out Hogan and then try to defend Sutton who other than the fact he has come thru the ranks doesn't make any sense. The lad is hopeless as a full back and cannot pass a ball to a blue shirt no matter what position he plays.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It doesn’t work just looking at individuals. Olly Banks wouldn’t make anyone’s wish list based on his time here yet has promotions on his cv and is playing and scoring for Chesterfield this season. Ben Garrity is another example. 

Just now, nzlatic said:

It doesn’t work just looking at individuals. Olly Banks wouldn’t make anyone’s wish list based on his time here yet has promotions on his cv and is playing and scoring for Chesterfield this season. Ben Garrity is another example. 

He left us and found his level lower down the leagues.

44 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Norwood & possibly Hobson as for the others…,you have to be joking!!

Any team bar Chesterfield would probably take Kitching, granted the juries out on the rest but until we can put out a settled midfield with footballers I'll reserve judgement on the rest, if they were available on a free though you'd likely get plenty of takers. 

50 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Banks signed by Mellon and helped Tranmere to promotion to League 1. What do we know!

1 hour ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

I'd have both Fylde's wide players over any of ours based on nothing other than their performances last night.

They all raise their game against us. Watch their next game and I’d guess they’ll be pretty underwhelming. They are bottom of the league . 

Im thinking about starting next season with the ambition of winning the thing. So with squad balance in mind, we certainly need to get rid of a ST and a CB. Nuttall and Hogan for me. It's a shame for Nuttall but its never clicked for him here, I think theres a player there and we havent seen the best of him unfortunately but I think best for both parties for him to go elsewhere. Similarly for Hogan, I think he is solid enough with a CB partner with pace like Yarney last season and Hobson this season but he's the worst out of our options. Added bonus, they are probably both on a decent wedge and that can be used to plug the CM hole once and for all.

In terms of deadwood, Green, Shelton, Tollitt and Freeman can go for me. Green has his moments, no doubt, but 90% of the time looks uninterested, 0 defensive work-rate, has as much fight as a feather and weighs about as much too. Not to mention his deliveries are more often than not dreadful. Shelton is basically Sheron if he didnt have half as much work rate and was scared to put a foot in, saying that why would you want to work for a team who's fanbase boo's you on the pitch. Unless he can do a job at RB, show him the door. Top lad by all accounts but for every moment of quality Tollitt provides, theres 5 mistakes, just not good enough. Freeman is only on a short contract and has barely played so a waste of a wage at this point.

I think that would leave us with a solid base to build from. Certainly need to use that budget to get a RB, CM and RW.

6 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I really can’t be arsed going through each player and his pedigree. 

But after our first loss in 9- to start claiming the majority are shit and need replacing is over reactive nonsense. 

Those 9 games barring perhaps Altrincham & Rochdale were against what you could describe as some of the weakest sides in the division and we were by no means dominant in any of them!!

We lost comprehensively, to the bottom club in the division last night. It was one way traffic and totally embarrassing!

It was quite possibly one of the worst performances I’ve ever seen from an Oldham team and it could easily have been 5 or 6!

I really hope Mellon can turn it around but IMO thinking he can do it with the current squad is totally unrealistic!

We only need 3-4 signings to turn this squad into a promotion challenging team.

Getting those signings and identifying them and convincing them to come will be the difficult bit. So to will getting players out the door who are surplus to requirements. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes us until new year to get a really settled squad.

For that reason if we go into Christmas and we are just outside the play offs I wouldn't be that worried. What is critical is that we evolve this squad just enough so that we are in a position to make a strong charge in the second half of the season because I think its quite possible that we can be that team who can go into the play offs on form and knowone usually fancies playing that side.

• Like 1