This squad

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

Those 9 games barring perhaps Altrincham & Rochdale were against what you could describe as some of the weakest sides in the division and we were by no means dominant in any of them!!

We lost comprehensively, to the bottom club in the division last night. It was one way traffic and totally embarrassing!

It was quite possibly one of the worst performances I’ve ever seen from an Oldham team and it could easily have been 5 or 6!

I really hope Mellon can turn it around but IMO thinking he can do it with the current squad is totally unrealistic!

Ah, the old ‘we’re winning but we’re still shit argument.’ 🙄

Well, unless you’re expecting Frank to pay off long lucrative contracts for the majority you think are not good enough (after 8 unbeaten) then you’re going to be disappointed. Mellon will have known he is going to have to largely work with what he’s got. Which is fine because there’s a lot of quality players. Something he’s said himself. 

We need two signings- not 8/9. 

Remember- Unsworth got sacked largely because he couldn’t get a tune from a top 3 budget. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

Those 9 games barring perhaps Altrincham & Rochdale were against what you could describe as some of the weakest sides in the division and we were by no means dominant in any of them!!

We lost comprehensively, to the bottom club in the division last night. It was one way traffic and totally embarrassing!

It was quite possibly one of the worst performances I’ve ever seen from an Oldham team and it could easily have been 5 or 6!

I really hope Mellon can turn it around but IMO thinking he can do it with the current squad is totally unrealistic!

So it wasn't Unsworth then...

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

Aye- you can’t have it both ways. 

If the squad is nowhere near good enough, he should still be in a job. . . 

How do you work that one out….it was more or less his hand picked squad!

6 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Of course it was, he was responsible for bringing these players in but he was only part of the problem!

So they should have kept him in and changed recruitment. We had Steve Thompson. If MM can bring players in this season then fine. Of not you may as well have stuck with DU

• Like 1

Just now, oafc1955 said:

How do you work that one out….it was more or less his hand picked squad!

You think the squad isn’t good enough - yes? 

Well, the board disagree with you- because they heavily backed Unsworth with a top 3 budget, and he couldn’t make it work after being given everything he wanted- so he got sacked- because he was given some very good players. .  

What you’re now claiming is- well they’re shit because Unsworth picked them. Which is of course, absolute nonsense. 

6 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

So they should have kept him in and changed recruitment. We had Steve Thompson. If MM can bring players in this season then fine. Of not you may as well have stuck with DU

I’m really hoping Mellon can get more out of the squad but I still think Unsworth was hopeless and that the recruitment could have been a lot better! 

2 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

So it wasn't Unsworth then...

I think everyone agrees (?) that DU was not up to the job (but I get the point Mcfluff is making). In the year he was in charge he never had an 8 game unbeaten run. The minute he goes (and with exactly the same squad) we instantly go on an 8 game unbeaten run. 

Last night was an aberration and MM was visibly shell-shocked in his post match. I can't see him letting that happen again, so hopefully back to winning ways and let's aim for the play-offs.

We'd all feel far more comfortable with a proper RB (Freeman must now be a lost cause?) and another midfielder but whether the budget is there now, who knows?

Edited by wiseowl
clarification

17 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Freeman only 31, I know nothing about him at all, has he had injury problems? If so that might explain why he’s here in the first place!

Is he in training, is he even still at the club?

He was given time off as his Mrs had a baby. He’s been back in training for quite a while- but can’t catch.

Played a lot in higher leagues- primarily for Sheff United. But has been very injury prone. Hence we give him a short deal. In the two games he’s played he’s been light years ahead of Sutton IMO. 

18 hours ago, League one forever said:

I really can’t be arsed going through each player and his pedigree. 

But after our first loss in 9- to start claiming the majority are shit and need replacing is over reactive nonsense. 

Not really, barring Thommo's first two games we've got results despite playing really poorly in the main. 

I'd be amazed if, come February, and certainly come August Mellon hasn't massively overhauled this squad....

Or, even better, he coaches some of the shite to become decent.... 

5 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Not really, barring Thommo's first two games we've got results despite playing really poorly in the main. 

I’ll take ‘being shit and winning’ every day of the week. 

6 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I'd be amazed if, come February, and certainly come August Mellon hasn't massively overhauled this squad....

No doubt he’ll bring a few in, but most are on long contracts. Can’t afford to bring a load in and pay people off. 

8 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Or, even better, he coaches some of the shite to become decent.... 

Spot on. The same players that looked awful for ten games, suddenly went 8 unbeaten. 

Midfield is our achilles heel, as it has been every season since Lee Johnson I would say. Too easy to play through, not creative enough. Still hold out hope Lundstram will solve the creative problem but whilst our other options are Sheron, Shelton, McGahey and Gardner and his Ritz cracker legs then we're going to struggle.

Not to say there isn't other areas of concern (right back 🚨) but without a strong midfield you're never gonna challenge

39 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

The squad we have are easily capable of making the playoffs, but I'd be much happier if we signed a decent goalkeeper...

What about a right back and a creative midfielder, that'd help as well, wouldn't it?

21 hours ago, League one forever said:

Hobson

Hogan

Raglan

Kitching

Sutton (at centre half) 

Dickenson

Reid

Kurt

Norwood.

How you can say Kurt would improve the sides at the top of the division is beyond me. You could of course be right in the long term but we've barely seen anything of him to even have an opinion on him. I did say when we signed him and everyone was getting excited that he'd only done it at the level below and he had to prove he could do it at this level. The jury is still out, through no fault of his own at this stage but it does worry me that 3 managers have seen him in training and none of them felt he is worthy of a start so far.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PeteG said:

How you can say Kurt would improve the sides at the top of the division is beyond me. You could of course be right in the long term but we've barely seen anything of him to even have an opinion on him. I did say when we signed him and everyone was getting excited that he'd only done it at the level below and he had to prove he could do it at this level. The jury is still out, through no fault of his own at this stage but it does worry me that 3 managers have seen him in training and none of them felt he is worthy of a start so far.

I think Willoughby is a decent player and can play a part for us aswell as Reid and Fondop, he linked up well with Reid v Kidderminster and between them they pretty much secured the points. Fondop is chaotic but can cause chaos for the opposition too. They just need to be used correctly. Norwood is the main man now but he isn’t a lone goal machine as we can see. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, League one forever said:

He was given time off as his Mrs had a baby. He’s been back in training for quite a while- but can’t catch.

Played a lot in higher leagues- primarily for Sheff United. But has been very injury prone. Hence we give him a short deal. In the two games he’s played he’s been light years ahead of Sutton IMO. 

Let’s Hope he can slot back in then and there can be some other changes too for Saturday. Raglan for Hogan. Two up front. 

• Like 1