Play off form

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

I wouldn't shed any tears if he went today.

Missing out on the playoffs would have to seen as a failure given our resources and the position we got ourselves into just a few weeks ago.

Yeah I assumed you’d be fine if they did let him go. I was just asking if you think they should let him go if we don’t make the play offs. That’s ok if you don’t want to give an opinion. 

36 minutes ago, OAFC Blues said:

We do seem to have gotten worse since January. I was initially happy with all of Mellon's signings. They made sense for what we needed and added either proven experience, youthful potential or a bit of speed and positional flexibility.

I'd say that applied to most of Unsworth's signings at the time as well.  Both sets have been sucked into the Boundary Park vortex.

14 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Yeah I assumed you’d be fine if they did let him go. I was just asking if you think they should let him go if we don’t make the play offs. That’s ok if you don’t want to give an opinion. 

I have no confidence that he would find the necessary improvements to win promotion next season so yes I think he should be sacked if he can't even make it into them this time.

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

I never wanted him in the first place and said so at the time so my stance is pretty clear.

I don't think for one minute he will be.

I do have growing concerns about the people making the football related decisions.

Wow - I actually am in agreement with a @deyres42 post 😳

22 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I have no confidence that he would find the necessary improvements to win promotion next season so yes I think he should be sacked if he can't even make it into them this time.

If we don’t get the playoffs, then I agree it’s a disappointing return given the signings he’s been allowed and the players already on the books. He would still get the summer to mould things, but if we start poorly next season- then he’s under big pressure. 

If we get in the playoffs, then that’s credit in the bank- and he gets all next season to see if he build on it. (Barring an awful run) 

• Like 1

As much as it wasn't pretty to watch, the hoofball was being deployed to good effect until recently gaining us 1.8PPG but that style of play doesn't suit any of the January incomings. Dallas and Walker point to two inside forwards playing off of Garner or service for Norwood, Conlon and Hammond point to an two footballers, one with energy and the other experience. 

I think Mellon wanted to adjust to another system by now. The failed Boreham Wood experiment came just before this run of Sat/Tue fixtures and from there it was stick or twist. Knowing he would have to rotate players to come through that period, MM assessed the situation and figured the best way to get results is to keep going the same way and he has alluded to as much frequently. Its now got to the point we have players sub optimal for the current style of play but also the vast majority of the squad not capable of playing the way MM wants and no one comes out of it looking good.

Whats the answer to that conundrum? Stick it out and hope form picks up again to scrape the playoffs or start the transition to better football now, appeasing the fans and new recruits but likely missing the playoffs because of it. Either way, I think we will see something easier on the eye come next season, after a full pre season and summer of recruitment.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LaticsEddie said:

As much as it wasn't pretty to watch, the hoofball was being deployed to good effect until recently gaining us 1.8PPG but that style of play doesn't suit any of the January incomings. Dallas and Walker point to two inside forwards playing off of Garner or service for Norwood, Conlon and Hammond point to an two footballers, one with energy and the other experience. 

I think Mellon wanted to adjust to another system by now. The failed Boreham Wood experiment came just before this run of Sat/Tue fixtures and from there it was stick or twist. Knowing he would have to rotate players to come through that period, MM assessed the situation and figured the best way to get results is to keep going the same way and he has alluded to as much frequently. Its now got to the point we have players sub optimal for the current style of play but also the vast majority of the squad not capable of playing the way MM wants and no one comes out of it looking good.

Whats the answer to that conundrum? Stick it out and hope form picks up again to scrape the playoffs or start the transition to better football now, appeasing the fans and new recruits but likely missing the playoffs because of it. Either way, I think we will see something easier on the eye come next season, after a full pre season and summer of recruitment.

Great post Ed. 

I don’t believe for one second that this football is what got him promotion elsewhere. 

I think you’re spot on with the stick or twist. Do you enforce a style (risking writing this season off while the players adapt) or do you stay pragmatic and try and find a way to win games with what you’ve got. He knows that he can’t say- ‘we’re losing because I want to play another way and I need time.’ He was brought in to win. 

I also think this explains walkers absence and Sav not playing every game, and Conlon being so poor. We don’t play with width, we don’t pass through the lines. I think he choosing to play the percentages. Which as we know, is not great to watch. But its needs must. 

With the above in mind, the criticism I have of him is this, for someone of his experience he really shouldn’t have been trying to change style mid season, and he definitely shouldn’t haven’t signed players in January that don’t fit into a preferred formation or he can’t get the best out of because it doesn’t suit their game. Those signings should have waited until summer, and we should have brought in a few warriors on loan in Jan to see us through. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, LaticsEddie said:

Dallas and Walker point to two inside forwards playing off of Garner or service for Norwood, Conlon and Hammond point to an two footballers, one with energy and the other experience. 

Does anyone actually know what Walker is?

Just now, Dave_Og said:

Does anyone actually know what Walker is?

Winger, occasionally a CF. When he has featured here its been high and wide. He was deployed as a winger and CF at Morecombe and mainly a winger at Carlisle too.

1 minute ago, LaticsEddie said:

Winger, occasionally a CF. When he has featured here its been high and wide. He was deployed as a winger and CF at Morecombe and mainly a winger at Carlisle too.

But wasn't good enough to command a place at Morecambe?

The thing is everyone says we are set up wrong and the also that recruitment has failed us. It can be both of course but if the latter is true, there is only so much Mellon will achieve.

so who has to replaced? 

people say sheron fulfils a role, the strikers are clearly capable and there doesn’t seem much wrong at at back. 

who then of starting team isn’t up to it?

if Hammond isn’t a write off and the jury is out on conlon then specifically who is failing us? 

1 minute ago, LaticsEddie said:

Hence he dropped down a league. You asked about his position not ability.

Indeed - but how many minues has he played for us?  I've no idea about his ability as I've never seen him.  In fact I had to look him up to remember his first name!

Just now, Dave_Og said:

Indeed - but how many minues has he played for us?  I've no idea about his ability as I've never seen him.  In fact I had to look him up to remember his first name!

Kyle I think 

Just now, Dave_Og said:

Just about 90 I think, 44 against Woking and his cameo against Hendon. I think the main issue is he doesn't fit in the team and backs up the point from my original post- Mellon wanted to change by now.

53 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Great post Ed. 

I don’t believe for one second that this football is what got him promotion elsewhere. 

I think you’re spot on with the stick or twist. Do you enforce a style (risking writing this season off while the players adapt) or do you stay pragmatic and try and find a way to win games with what you’ve got. He knows that he can’t say- ‘we’re losing because I want to play another way and I need time.’ He was brought in to win. 

I also think this explains walkers absence and Sav not playing every game, and Conlon being so poor. We don’t play with width, we don’t pass through the lines. I think he choosing to play the percentages. Which as we know, is not great to watch. But its needs must. 

With the above in mind, the criticism I have of him is this, for someone of his experience he really shouldn’t have been trying to change style mid season, and he definitely shouldn’t haven’t signed players in January that don’t fit into a preferred formation or he can’t get the best out of because it doesn’t suit their game. Those signings should have waited until summer, and we should have brought in a few warriors on loan in Jan to see us through. 

I understand the criticism, but would suggest I dont think it was bad assumption if Mellon thought he could finish in the playoffs with the current squad and so add a few additions with a head start on recruitment for next season. Could we afford to let Conlon, Garner, Dallas go to division rivals when they were picked out as targets for us? The fanbase clearly wants a change in style along with the coaching staff so maybe even the playing staff do, maybe the board too.

21 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Blackburn must be delighted with how the spell is going.

2 hours ago, LaticsEddie said:

If we transition to better football, why would we miss out on the playoffs? 🤔

13 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

If we transition to better football, why would we miss out on the playoffs? 🤔

The story seems to go that you can only get out of it by hoofing it. At least that is what some would have you believe...