Play off form

2 hours ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Got sent some messages about Norwood says he hates it here and was saying I was playing in front of 18k last year In front of officials…

If true, he needs to think about how much money he chugging in compared to a lot of hard working people and get the fuck on with it. 

• Like 1

Got sent some messages about Norwood says he hates it here and was saying I was playing in front of 18k last year In front of officials…

He knew he would be playing in front of sub 3k crowds when he signed 

Could you add some more context to this 

Lose to Chesterfield and it’s very likely we will be out of the play offs. We could be out of them tonight if both Gateshead and Alti win. 

After Chesterfield, we have a decent run of fixtures and the Saturday / Tuesday cycle stops, apart from Halifax now. Hopefully that will help our ageing squad.

It’s going to be tight, but we need to stick with them and remain positive. 

Thought I'd have another look at the form table seeing as we're on a bad run with no win in the last 3. Despite that we've not been too badly affected when it comes to league position.

Over the last 4 games, only Barnet (3rd), Aldershot (4th) and Halifax (5th) are in the top 7 of the form table out of the play off contenders. Solihull are 8th and the rest are miles off including us unfortunately... Bromley (15th), Oldham (16th), Gateshead (18th) and Altrincham (22nd)

Over the last 10 games, only Aldershot (4th) and Gateshead (6th) are in the top 7 of the form table. Barnet (9th), Halifax (10th), Solihull (11th), Oldham (14th), Altrincham (16th) and Bromley (18th).

When looking at the 4, 6, 8 and 10 game form tables, only Aldershot are in the top 7 for all of them (4th, 5th, 2nd and 4th respectively). They're the only truly consistent team over that time, others have had good runs over a smaller number of games.

I'm going to do that thing that loads of people hate... put a positive spin on things!  Putting the quality of football aside, there's nothing in that data that suggests we're at serious risk of dropping out of the play offs. Purely because almost all the other teams are having equally iffy runs. So it still looks like there's every chance we'll be in the play offs. Then you look at the potential opposition and there's no one there that you'd expect would blow us away - even the best form team Aldershot only just edged us and we were absolutely woeful.

I'd imagine that Mellon is looking at the end of the season as 8 build up games before a short end of season cup competition. And the only things he's bothered about achieving in that time are 1) enough points to make sure we're in the cup comp and 2) win the cup competition by whatever means necessary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

Thought I'd have another look at the form table seeing as we're on a bad run with no win in the last 3. Despite that we've not been too badly affected when it comes to league position.

Over the last 4 games, only Barnet (3rd), Aldershot (4th) and Halifax (5th) are in the top 7 of the form table out of the play off contenders. Solihull are 8th and the rest are miles off including us unfortunately... Bromley (15th), Oldham (16th), Gateshead (18th) and Altrincham (22nd)

Over the last 10 games, only Aldershot (4th) and Gateshead (6th) are in the top 7 of the form table. Barnet (9th), Halifax (10th), Solihull (11th), Oldham (14th), Altrincham (16th) and Bromley (18th).

When looking at the 4, 6, 8 and 10 game form tables, only Aldershot are in the top 7 for all of them (4th, 5th, 2nd and 4th respectively). They're the only truly consistent team over that time, others have had good runs over a smaller number of games.

I'm going to do that thing that loads of people hate... put a positive spin on things!  Putting the quality of football aside, there's nothing in that data that suggests we're at serious risk of dropping out of the play offs. Purely because almost all the other teams are having equally iffy runs. So it still looks like there's every chance we'll be in the play offs. Then you look at the potential opposition and there's no one there that you'd expect would blow us away - even the best form team Aldershot only just edged us and we were absolutely woeful.

I'd imagine that Mellon is looking at the end of the season as 8 build up games before a short end of season cup competition. And the only things he's bothered about achieving in that time are 1) enough points to make sure we're in the cup comp and 2) win the cup competition by whatever means necessary.

Dont really disagree with the last paragraph, just such a shame we haven't had a good run at 3rd place which would've significantly increased our chances of success.

5 minutes ago, trickyrickyholden said:

Dont really disagree with the last paragraph, just such a shame we haven't had a good run at 3rd place which would've significantly increased our chances of success.

I thought we were heading that way but form has fallen away. If we'd carried on Mellon's 2 points per game from when I started this thread, including beating Bromley, then we'd only be 3 points behind them with 8 to play. But I think the gap is too big to the top 3 now without a serious upturn in form.

My prediction is that we'll be 5th or 6th, but it looks like it'll be really tight so could be anywhere from 4th to out of it completely.

15 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

You could argue we've got worse for the batch of new signings.

Possibly. But it's hard to pin on something simple because the team has changed so much game by game. Whether that's deliberately or forced.

He might look to settle the team down going into the last few games. I think he'll need to if we're going to build enough consistency to win 3 play off games.

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

In the form table…

Over the last 4 games, Oldham (16th)

Over the last 10 games Oldham (14th)

There was a lot of debate on here about the validity of ‘Form Tables’ but the plain truth is that we have got progressively worse since the end of  January and, strangely, coinciding with Mellon being allowed to bring in his own players…😮

That’s worse in results and far worse in performance on the pitch. 

There has been too much tinkering with the team by the manager and too many unfit or poor players joining the squad.

The players who do get out onto the pitch, are consistently letting us and themselves down.

Meanwhile certain players who may add to the squad (Hope and Reid, and possibly a certain youth player for example) are ignored or frozen out.

Mellon was ‘ thoroughly pissed off’ with our latest showing - and we can but hope that he does what he is paid to do and get the players to play.

Tough ask Saturday 😳

• Like 3

We've had quite a heavy run of fixtures recently playing Saturday Tuesday quite abit maybe Tonight's postponement might be a blessing in disguise giving us an extra couple of days rest before what will be a very tough game on Saturday.

From here we have 8 games to go 5 wins 2 draws takes us to 75 points that will get us top 7 and into the play offs for the first time in 17 years. It might be less than that, that's required but it's a very achievable goal.

40 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

The lengths people are going to defend their guy 🤣🤣

Chopping and changing as part of some grand plan.

Putting in work on the training ground.

So much for unity among fans.

”Their guy” is actually our guy. He’s our manager. Try getting behind him.

3 minutes ago, mick26 said:

Tonight's games couldn't be going any worse for us. Please, please can we get on a winning run starting Saturday 🙏.

5 for Altrincham now 

4 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

This is weird

Basically admitting you want him to fail

Why even bother pretending you're a fan? It's really odd

Why would I want him to fail? I just want him to ask his players to try and pass the ball to each other.