Play off form

5 minutes ago, Wardie said:

No surprise though.
Seventh place probably the most we can hope for or a miraculous run of wins.

We are only outside the top 7 on goal difference still some twists and turns to come I still think we can get top 5. It wouldn't require a miracle to do that.

43 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

Will Mellon be sacked if we don’t make the playoffs?

Not a chance although like the players he should be under some pressure to get us to perform, he needs backing and his point return tells you that although it's not pretty it could be counted as progress. When we've got his team I think we will see a difference. 

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Not a chance although like the players he should be under some pressure to get us to perform, he needs backing and his point return tells you that although it's not pretty it could be counted as progress. When we've got his team I think we will see a difference. 

I bloody well hope so!

Just now, AndyB2 said:

Why is that weird? 

2 hours ago, penrhyn said:

Weird league only Chesterfield and Bromley lost fewer games than us .

We are within touching distance of 4th (or we were until Tuesday’s results). Don’t you think that that means we are likely to be amongst those teams we fewer loses?

8 hours ago, League one forever said:

Do you think he should. . . ? 

I think whoever has led the recruitment strategy goes. If that’s Darren Royle then fine. 

I am worried and am rapidly losing interest. This could spell the end of my Latics relationship. My passion and interest has been kept going by the hope of us one day turning the corner. Now it has, in theory, happened, it’s been so underwhelming. In many ways, this is a new low in supporting Latics. 10k tops if we were to fluke a trip to Wembley 

1 hour ago, AndyB2 said:

I think whoever has led the recruitment strategy goes. If that’s Darren Royle then fine. 

I am worried and am rapidly losing interest. This could spell the end of my Latics relationship. My passion and interest has been kept going by the hope of us one day turning the corner. Now it has, in theory, happened, it’s been so underwhelming. In many ways, this is a new low in supporting Latics. 10k tops if we were to fluke a trip to Wembley 

I see you have enough interest to come on a forum to tell us your Latics relationship might be over. 

If we ‘fluke’ Wembley- (which by the way will the first time in history of football that a team has fluked a 49 game season) then I will be there singing my heart out and very likely a bit emotional at seeing them walk out. If you find that a new low - then I don’t know what to say, only- maybe you’re right and following Latics isn’t for you. 

Mellon is going nowhere, and nor should he. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JohnG123 said:

Let’s not forget all the teams in the league had a 9 game start when we had Unsworth in charge. 

We were eight points behind Bromley at the time of his dismissal. We are eight points behind Bromley now. 

Makes you think.

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

We were eight points behind Bromley at the time of his dismissal. We are eight points behind Bromley now. 

Makes you think.

Does it make you think though? Do you have an opinion? Should he be sacked if we don’t make the play offs?

2 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Does it make you think though? Do you have an opinion? Should he be sacked if we don’t make the play offs?

I never wanted him in the first place and said so at the time so my stance is pretty clear.

I don't think for one minute he will be.

I do have growing concerns about the people making the football related decisions.

• Like 1

Just now, deyres42 said:

I never wanted him in the first place and said so at the time so my stance is pretty clear.

I do have growing concerns about the people making the football related decisions.

I know your thoughts on his appointment. Can’t change that though.  I was asking whether you think he should be sacked if we don’t make the play offs. 

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

Be honest- are you hoping he fails (which means hoping we lose) so that he goes and you get someone more to your liking? 

2 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I know your thoughts on his appointment. Can’t change that though.  I was asking whether you think he should be sacked if we don’t make the play offs. 

I wouldn't shed any tears if he went today.

Missing out on the playoffs would have to seen as a failure given our resources and the position we got ourselves into just a few weeks ago.

5 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Be honest- are you hoping he fails (which means hoping we lose) so that he goes and you get someone more to your liking? 

No but I'm not someone who just wants to win at any cost.

1 minute ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I think they already have, haven't they? Unsworth and Thompson...?

They weren't responsible for recruiting Conlon, Sachdev, Walker, Langley, Hammond, Garner or Dallas.  Only Garner of those anything like a success I think?  Unlucky with Stones although it seemed clear he came with risks attached.

17 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

They weren't responsible for recruiting Conlon, Sachdev, Walker, Langley, Hammond, Garner or Dallas.  Only Garner of those anything like a success I think?  Unlucky with Stones although it seemed clear he came with risks attached.

Quite. 

We have the double bubble of Unsworth signings largely not being good enough, and their replacements being largely poor as well. 

Recruitment has to improve dramatically. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndyB2 said:

Don’t think we make the playoffs now. That is on the players. Spineless, weak mentality, pampered and arrogant. Out of their depth. I don’t rate any of them. 

The thing is with recruitment, you can see why a lot of them have been brought in. Highly regarded at teams at this level and above, goal-scorers at a higher level, previous experience of winning this league, youth AND experience. It's not a Mellon thing, because they were shite under Unsworth too.

I just don't get why it's not working as well as it should...

We do seem to have gotten worse since January. I was initially happy with all of Mellon's signings. They made sense for what we needed and added either proven experience, youthful potential or a bit of speed and positional flexibility.

I think that the only Mellon signing that I questioned at the time was Garner and he's arguably had the most impact. The odd signings for me, with hindsight, are Walker, Sachdev and Dallas. Three players who can change the style we have to play with the current group, yet they either don't get in the squad at all or are crow barred into the 352.

I've stopped listening to the pre match interviews so I don't know if Mellon has been addressing why they are absent or being used in the way they are (think Walker and Dallas both been injured at points) but it seems weird strategy to bring them in to offer something different and then use them in the same way as everyone else or not at all. 

• Like 1