Darren Royle Interview

4 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Good interview from Darren. I don't mind these from time to time. It's all that's required. We don't need deep details, we just need to be reminded from time to time that good hands are at the wheel. They care, the Rothwells care, and sometimes you forget Darren's a fan as much as any of us are. 

I know some comments in this thread are wanting him to specifically state the mistakes he takes ownership for but it's not neccessary. He mentioned growth strategy or something which translates as no harbouring blame and just focus on what they can do better next time. Couldn't agree more with this point, we all make mistakes in life and DR has the lions share of the most difficult decisions at the club. I'll be forever grateful for him bringing the Rothwell family - one with no real football nous - to the club. He'll always be cut an extra amount of slack for that reason alone.

Re-energised already for the new season.

Absolutely, DR is the one who knocked on Frank’s door and asked the question of investment. He will always have my respect for that. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, True Tic said:

Absolutely, DR is the one who knocked on Frank’s door and asked the question of investment. He will always have my respect for that. 

Doesn’t mean he is a good ceo. 

6 minutes ago, True Tic said:

True, but surely you must be grateful for what has done to get the club on its feet again. 

Absolutely. And am not saying he isn’t a good ceo. But there is little room for sentiment and he should be judged on his performance as ceo in considering whether he is a good ceo not what he did to save the club. Important not to conflate the two issues.

the fact that we have blown so much money on shit players concerns me in this regard.  

8 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

Absolutely. And am not saying he isn’t a good ceo. But there is little room for sentiment and he should be judged on his performance as ceo in considering whether he is a good ceo not what he did to save the club. Important not to conflate the two issues.

the fact that we have blown so much money on shit players concerns me in this regard.  

I agree, I don’t know much about being a good ceo and I don’t know who has been making the recommendations for the players we have signed. Maybe too much trust put in certain people. To be fair some of the signings I was initially impressed with and I strongly believe they have us and themselves down massively . 

36 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

You've still, not once, told us what the CEO does and is responsible for

58 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

You've still, not once, told us what the CEO does and is responsible for

I believe he oversees the running of the football club and all its component parts. Forgive me if that’s wrong.

as I say, I am not making any judgement on him as CEO. 

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

I believe he oversees the running of the football club and all its component parts. Forgive me if that’s wrong.

as I say, I am not making any judgement on him as CEO. 

You said he should be judged on whether he is a good CEO, so what does that look like?

You also said concerning spent so much on shit players. Who is responsible for that?

Edited by mcfluff1985

21 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

You said he should be judged on whether he is a good CEO, so what does that look like?

You also said concerning spent so much on shit players. Who is responsible for that?

Sustainable progress on the pitch and a sound financial footing would represent a ceo doing a good job. 

25 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

Sustainable progress on the pitch and a sound financial footing would represent a ceo doing a good job. 

I would agree that a good CEO is responsible for running the club on a sound financial footing. I would suggest progress on the pitch is mainly down to the manager and his coaching team, not DR.  DR and Rothwells should be applauded for providing funds and I would not question their business acumen.  Without them we would not have a club. 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Whitts said:

I would agree that a good CEO is responsible for running the club on a sound financial footing. I would suggest progress on the pitch is mainly down to the manager and his coaching team, not DR.  DR and Rothwells should be applauded for providing funds and I would not question their business acumen.  Without them we would not have a club. 

Always question. It’s healthy. 

6 hours ago, Whitts said:

Who signs players? 

55 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I think he made it pretty clear that he doesn't. I'm pretty clear that we don't want the CEO to do so.

I would want him to be the individual who signs off on any recruitment - by that I mean asking the manager to make the case for any signing, justifying why and ultimately being accountable before the deal is approved by the CEO or whoever.
Well that’s what I’d do anyway…😃

37 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I would want him to be the individual who signs off on any recruitment - by that I mean asking the manager to make the case for any signing, justifying why and ultimately being accountable before the deal is approved by the CEO or whoever.
Well that’s what I’d do anyway…😃

Yep. But there seems to be some on here that want to make him directly responsible for everything that happens on the pitch. There are times when word mincing isn't appropriate and this is one of them, because that is utter bollocks.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Have you watched the interview? 

Yes. 

When I delegate decisions at work the buck still stops with me.

its disapointing that the club has sanctioned do much spending on shite. The board, including DR, have a level of responsibility for that. 

That’s my opinion on how businesses are run. I don’t believe football clubs are any different in that regard 

Just now, AndyB2 said:

Yes. 

When I delegate decisions at work the buck still stops with me.

its disapointing that the club has sanctioned do much spending on shite. The board, including DR, have a level of responsibility for that. 

That’s my opinion on how businesses are run. I don’t believe football clubs are any different in that regard 

They haven’t sanctioned spending on shite. They’ve sanctioned spending on players the recruitment team deemed to be the right players at the time. Any faults with that process should lie entirely with the recruitment team. DR oversees them so it’s his job to work with them and identify what went wrong so mistakes don’t get repeated in the future, not to start making decisions on whether he thinks prospective signings are good enough or not. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Have you watched the interview? 

You seem really interested in my opinion on everything. Am honoured to be asked so many questions, I really am. It’s gives me a warm fuzzy feeling 

2 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

They haven’t sanctioned spending on shite. They’ve sanctioned spending on players the recruitment team deemed to be the right players at the time. Any faults with that process should lie entirely with the recruitment team. DR oversees them so it’s his job to work with them and identify what went wrong so mistakes don’t get repeated in the future, not to start making decisions on whether he thinks prospective signings are good enough or not. 

Also known as sanctioning spending on shite

I’ve no issue with Darren Royle and the board overall

One element of the interview I liked to hear was the rejection of a blame culture way of running things. 

It’s a too simplistic way of looking at things, ie blaming individual people (sack the manager) or individual things (put statsbomb in the bin) as some sort of easy fix to bigger problems. I’m happy to hear they run the business in a way that they assess it more completely and look to see how things can be done better. Long term it should stand us in good stead. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyB2 said:

You seem really interested in my opinion on everything. Am honoured to be asked so many questions, I really am. It’s gives me a warm fuzzy feeling 

Looks like he found someone else now I ignore him.

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

One element of the interview I liked to hear was the rejection of a blame culture way of running things. 

It’s a too simplistic way of looking at things, ie blaming individual people (sack the manager) or individual things (put statsbomb in the bin) as some sort of easy fix to bigger problems. I’m happy to hear they run the business in a way that they assess it more completely and look to see how things can be done better. Long term it should stand us in good stead. 

That was spin, and he’s very good at it.

There’s a big difference between blame - (which is negative and I would never have thought they did that anyway) and honesty and accountability. 

He made it clear that Mellon along with the Head of recruitment will be doing the recruitment, why say that? Why qualify it? Because it’s the result of a honest and frank discussion between Mellon and the board where mistakes have been made. (I suspect stats bomb) You can know exactly where you stand without blame. 

To say ‘it’s to simplistic to look at individual things’ - is really odd. It’s exactly what they should be doing and by sounds of it have done. Stats bomb wasn’t working. It must’ve had some role to play in our awful scatter gun recruitment and the club are looking to improve in all areas- by looking at individual things to make the collective more cohesive and successful. 

47 minutes ago, League one forever said:

That was spin, and he’s very good at it.

There’s a big difference between blame - (which is negative and I would never have thought they did that anyway) and honesty and accountability. 

He made it clear that Mellon along with the Head of recruitment will be doing the recruitment, why say that? Why qualify it? Because it’s the result of a honest and frank discussion between Mellon and the board where mistakes have been made. (I suspect stats bomb) You can know exactly where you stand without blame. 

To say ‘it’s to simplistic to look at individual things’ - is really odd. It’s exactly what they should be doing and by sounds of it have done. Stats bomb wasn’t working. It must’ve had some role to play in our awful scatter gun recruitment and the club are looking to improve in all areas- by looking at individual things to make the collective more cohesive and successful. 

I can't see how any stats system can play any part whatsoever in failing to recruit for specific positions. No stats system tells anyone to sign half a dozen strikers but not to bother about a right back.

• Like 1