Please release me, let me go

There’s loads of goals I wanna score

To waste my life would be a sin

So release me and let me score again

Please release me can’t you see

You’d be a fool to cling to me

To blow this chance would bring me pain

So release me and let me score again

We know only too well about the bad side of Lee Hughes and we’ll have to share with him the abuse from fans of other clubs which he and we are bound to receive.

Meanwhile, as he starts his parole (if it was granted from today as anticipated) I want to focus on the football side of Lee Hughes.

Born and bred close to the Baggies' Hawthorns ground, he was a junior with WBA but was released in 1990.

He worked part-time as a roofer and played for Kidderminster Harriers. He scored 35 goals in Kidderminster's 1996-97 GM Vauxhall Conference campaign, but they were beaten to promotion into the Football League by Macclesfield Town. He scored a total of 62 goals for Kidderminster.

In 1997 he was sold to WBA for £200,000 (rising to eventually £350,000 after appearances) - the record fee paid for a non-league player. He described it as a 'dream come true', being a life-long supporter of the club. Hughes was a key player in the Albion side of the late 1990s and turn of the century, scoring 31 Division One goals in the 1998-99 season - more than any other player in the Football League or the Premiership.

When at WBA he was one of the club’s most popular players. Hughes' first four seasons represented every fan's dream coming true. Nicknamed the Ginger Ninja, he was popular with supporters because of his enthusiasm, local roots and his desire to play for WBA. He even sports a tattoo of the club's crest.

With his fame came the riches - he boasted a £16,000 a week wage packet and a £750,000 mock Tudor mansion in the desirable Warwickshire village of Meriden - believed to be the centre of England.

Hughes was also quickly stereotyped in the media for his love of balti food, and after his first season with West Brom, Hughes began to attract controversy. He had a brief engagement to a lap dancer, but appeared to settle down in June 2000 when he married Croatian Anna Kuzmanic in her home country before their first child Mia was born.

However, he was unable to get Albion into the Premiership and was sold to Coventry City for £5million in the summer of 2001. This gave Kidderminster Harriers a £695,000 cut because of a lucrative sell-on fee.

City had just been relegated from the Premiership after 34 years of top division football and Hughes was seen as the man to help fire the club back into the Premiership. City narrowly missed out on the play-offs, while Hughes's former club Albion were promoted to the Premiership.

He soon returned to Albion for £2.5million - half the fee Albion had received for him a year earlier. Despite being a regular first team player, Hughes was unable to score a single Premiership goal in 2002-03 and Albion were relegated in 19th place with just 6 wins and 26 points from 38 matches.

His first steps of freedom may lead to a giant leap into the football unknown. It’s definitely a gamble and we are about to share with him a ride on the great roller-coaster that is Latics.

Good luck Lee - you’re going to need it.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't there a rumour he's going on a holiday with his family before he links up with us?

He's having a week off to get used to things again and see his family etc but he is due to link up with the squad for training next week i think. I can't see him making the match day squad for a few weeks at least though

He's having a week off to get used to things again and see his family etc but he is due to link up with the squad for training next week i think. I can't see him making the match day squad for a few weeks at least though

A few weeks?????????? he hasn't played football in 3 years Gemma; I'd be amazed if he steps foot on pitch before November earliest (1st team that is). hence reason I've always been of the opinion that this is a mistake waiting to happen

A few weeks?????????? he hasn't played football in 3 years Gemma; I'd be amazed if he steps foot on pitch before November earliest (1st team that is). hence reason I've always been of the opinion that this is a mistake waiting to happen

...but the club are doing a good thing. They are giving him a steady job with prospects, which is more than a lot get when they leave prison, which is why a lot end up back in prison. Even if he doesn't make the first team (I think he probably will, in time), there's so much that he can do.

Psychologically, let alone physically, I don't think that he will be ready to play first team football 'til November or even later. Even so, he'll be working every day training and people ought to welcome that. It's definitely not a "mistake", even if he never plays for us.

I know he hasn't, i said a few weeks at least. He may be on the bench for a johnston paint trophy game or a league cup at home should be beat Burnley - i don't know the exact dates of when they are though. I think he needs to be brought into the team gradually, hence a home tie in the johnstone paint trophy would be an ideal game to give him 10/15mins run out (as long as we beat accrington that is) As for being in the starting 11 for league games, i can't see that for a few months, maybe even after Christmas. It all depends on how he handles it all

Edited by Gemma06

Latest

Click

Looks like we may have some media people around BP for a few days soon.

My response to the article :

"I assume that the "preferential treatment" to which you refer was the fact that "Other inmates were held back while Hughes was smuggled out".

Well, what shocking action!! How dare they? I mean these inmates were highly concerned about the "media camped outside" waiting for them also I assume?

What he has done is wrong. However I am willing to bet that of those "held back", many were also released after only a portion of their sentence had been served and that they will go back to their normal lives without the "media" chasing them down the street!

What he did was wrong, but by no means exceptional. He, like the others, is entitled to his second chance.!"

It will all end in tears.

Karl said: Aug 20th, 2007 at 1:08 pm Everybody makes mistakes but some are unforgiveable and in Lee Hughes’ case it is just that. He should have been made to walk through those prison gates just like the next man and take what was waiting for him on the chin. I just hope that he is prepared for a totally different life to the one he enjoyed prior to that fateful day. He deserves no favours or preferential treatment and certainly does not deserve a resurrected career in football

Coco?

Yeah because i'm clearly the only person to have a problem with someone like Lee Hughes at my club.

It wasnt actually meant in that tone, but if you want to take it that way thats fine, i think we all have reservations about it, but some of us would rather not comment on it!

Why not?

I'll go on record now and say I hope this whole thing falls flat on it's face, Hughes is gone by Christmas and the people involved with bringing him here (Mainly Mr Owen) are suitably embarrassed in what has been a PR disaster for the club.

Has it though? I don't think a few hysterical people competing to appear most outraged on a Coventry based online rag equates to national outrage. Many people will have qualms about it and some no doubt will hate Hughes for what he did, but PR disaster? I for one respect the courage the club and Big Bad Bazza have shown in giving the man a chance despite the likely media attention that would follow.

Why not?

I'll go on record now and say I hope this whole thing falls flat on it's face, Hughes is gone by Christmas and the people involved with bringing him here (Mainly Mr Owen) are suitably embarrassed in what has been a PR disaster for the club.

Not a very positive sentiment for the clubs owners !!! Would you not prefer the same outcome (Gone by Xmas ) but for some MASSIVE club with no bottle to come in and buy him off us for ££££ ????

The club have taken the risk so dont they deserve a positive outcome ?

Has it though? I don't think a few hysterical people competing to appear most outraged on a Coventry based online rag equates to national outrage. Many people will have qualms about it and some no doubt will hate Hughes for what he did, but PR disaster? I for one respect the courage the club and Big Bad Bazza have shown in giving the man a chance despite the likely media attention that would follow.

3 shows/phone-ins on talkSPORT devoted to the subject when it was first announced, shows on 5live, club officials coming across poorly when interviewed, national newspapers, add to that the negative press when he first turns up for training, gets his first red card (how will that effect his parole conditions if he's sent of for violet conduct?), scores his first goal.

Shez has done well to stay reasonably quiet on Hughes.

3 shows/phone-ins on talkSPORT devoted to the subject when it was first announced, shows on 5live, club officials coming across poorly when interviewed, national newspapers, add to that the negative press when he first turns up for training, gets his first red card (how will that effect his parole conditions if he's sent of for violet conduct?), scores his first goal.

Talksport don't exactly trade in positive news stories, I don't give a toss what some jumped up shock jock said on there. It might just happen that he keeps his head down, works hard, does community work and so on, and rebuilds his career. If that happens it would be a big success story for me, not a negative one.

Guest sheridans_world

He isnt an Oldham player yet, Shez has had no need to comment.

As for everything else. Latics could stand to profit alot from Hughes playing.

Let me put something to you, if Hughes comes along and scores 25 goals this season (none of which you celebrate) and gets us auto promotion into the championship then does the same next season and gets us into the playoffs in the championship for a shot at the premiership, what would you say then? If he stays out of trouble for two seasons, he fires us up one league then on the verge of the next. What would you say then coco?