• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He gets very little credit for the work he does, even though he hasn't been fully fit for what, 4 years? So much of the space Rooney has enjoyed when he's looked good for England has been made by Owen's movement, he is a nightmare for fullbacks. Oh, and he's going to end his career as England's all-time leading record goalscorer. Not bad for someone who's rubbish eh?

I'm signing into the "Michael Owen Is Rubbish" Club.

I'd pick Rooney; Bent; Ashton; Nugent; Johnson; Defoe; Beattie and probably even Michael Ricketts before him.

:sign0094:

Nugent is one of the most overrated players I have seen... looked a bit rubbish in the Champ - he will never score more than 10 goals in the premiership - he is just not good enough! and Beattie - no way!

Owen is rusty, but a fully fit Rooney and Owen are our number 1 strikeforce - the trick is getting them fit....

He gets very little credit for the work he does, even though he hasn't been fully fit for what, 4 years?

What work would that be then?

Not bad for someone who's rubbish eh?

I, too, would love to be as rubbish as Michael Owen, but my point is that others are a better pick than him because he hasn't played. He's not in the Fat Ronaldo class of player whom you would pick even if they were fat or injured or dead.

What does it say to potential England strikers if "McLaren" prefers to pick a serial crock who hasn't done the business for ages rather than you, even if you're the top English scorer in the Premiership? By picking "Owen", "McLaren" is undermining the confidence of others and ruining any possibility of breeding any kind of competetive culture regarding selection for the national side. His philosophy seems to be that if you did it 10 years ago, you will always be able to do it.

If Owen was a horse he'd have been shot. He is however a pony.......with only one (former) trick, pace.

Give over Martin - the bloke escaped from the Dwarf section of a circus and yet how many goals has he scored with his head, without the pace of yesteryear? That's the sign of a player with intelligence who knows where to be to score a goal. We don't know yet what state he will be in physically yet when and if he gets up to speed, but even without the pace he has a lot more know-how than most of the names mentioned as competition. How anyone can get worked up about Owen's selection in a game where "Alan Smith," according to my newspaper, also started as centre-forward, is really beyond me. That bloke is lucky to be a Premiership player IMO. It doesn't say a lot for Spurs 3rd and 4th choice strikers, who some are advocating, that two England managers (OK, bad ones, but they've seen them play) prefer that Yorkshire carthorse to them.

It doesn't say a lot for Spurs 3rd and 4th choice strikers, who some are advocating, that two England managers (OK, bad ones, but they've seen them play) prefer that Yorkshire carthorse to them.

Actually, it says more about the managers than it does about those players. How come "Michael Owen" is an automatic pick? Because the managers have lacked balls and imagination.

It seems as if even if Pele were the alternative, little Mickey would still be the first on the team sheet. Even all the so-called commentators refer to him simply as "Michael" (he's so good we only use his first name now). He'll still be in the England team if Allardyce sells him to Accrington Stanley. When will "McLaren" catch on that whatever the problem is, "Owen" ain't the solution?

I'd pick Rooney; Bent; Ashton; Nugent; Johnson; Defoe; Beattie and probably even Michael Ricketts before him.

You might think he is rubish, but bar Rooney, he is better than all those players you listed. I'll take it you meant Ricketts as a joke, but Beattie?!?! LOL.

Edited by dave_ragg1984

You might think he is rubish, but bar Rooney, he is better than all those players you listed. I'll take it you meant Ricketts as a joke, but Beattie?!?! LOL.

Being a striker is about scoring goals or adding something to the team.

For a start, Owen is always injured or recovering from injury. He cannot hold the ball up, cannot dribble, is a terrible passer and is not finding the net. As has been said earlier on this thread, he is a one trick player who used to score goals because of his explosive pace. His injuries suggest to me that he will never regain that which leaves him with next to nothing.

Agreed many of the ones listed aren't brilliant either but I would sooner see others given a decent chance - particularly in meaningless friendlies - rather than waiting for the 27 year old child prodigy to regain some form and fitness.

I'll admit I was wrong if Owen does start scoring again for Newcastle or England. Until then, LOL away.

• 3 weeks later...

And he can't shoot :laught30:

Denied another goal by a great defensive last ditch slide.

Fair enough should have scored from his double chance.

38 and counting. Greaves and Lineker next, then Charlton. Not bad in an era of tightening defences, for a one trick pony relying on pace who is always crocked. I reckon he'll call it a day at around 60 goals, should be high enough that no Englishman (or Welshman) will ever overtake him.

How's them onions Mr Tulsehill?

Must have missed this thread the first time round.

How people can have a go at Owen is beyond me. In the friendly he was obviously rusty but his positional sense meant that he got chances. He is one of the few top international players we have had over the years. The man scores more than a goal every other game in the league, something he isn't far short of at international level. To criticise that level of scoring is nothing short of lunacy.

He may have lost a yard of pace, but he is still a quality player.

NB. I'll put my hand up to the Heskey one. And I'll keep it up. He can do a job, but it can't be long until someone comes along who can do it better.

I did also put on here that I thought Heskey would do a decent job. And I've said for years that Barry should at the least be in every squad as he is quality in several positions. If I could learn to grin like a half-wit all the time, rather than just when I'm drunk, then the England job would be in the bag.

Tune in next week to find out why John Terry is not half as good as the Press and he thinks he is.

Tune in next week to find out why John Terry is not half as good as the Press and he thinks he is.

You can't seriously mean that you think John 'at least one cock up a game against decent opposition' Terry isn't quite as good as the media think John 'has never made a mistake, and is really, really fast honest. And it wasn't really anything to do with him anyway that nightclub incident' Terry is!!!

You can't seriously mean that you think John 'at least one cock up a game against decent opposition' Terry isn't quite as good as the media think John 'has never made a mistake, and is really, really fast honest. And it wasn't really anything to do with him anyway that nightclub incident' Terry is!!!

In his defence, he does make sure to deal with his abject fear of facing fast forwards without Makelele, Essien and a 7 foot ditch to protect him by standing on his goalkeepers toes all game. As for his hard man image, I just wet myself every time I see Ronaldinho running through his body check the other season.

Owen's international goalscoring record demands he plays, he has consistently scored in the big tournaments and is rightly first choice. Defoe lacks heart and can't even get a game at spurs, Crouch likewise can't get in the Liverpool squad, Andy Johnson whole game is based on diving for penalties, none are fit to lace Owen's boots.

Sorry, but Owen scored v Israel (sorry Bob). Decent defenders will have him mopped up in a flash. I do agree with the list who are not fit to lace his boots, but Owen is about the best of the rest bar Rooney.

I would just like to add, who needs Lampard?

With Gerrard playing I would pick Lampard for England behind Carrick, Hargreaves and Barry. And Phil Neville. If Gerrard was out there is a case for him to stand there and wait for a chance to shoot.

Lampard is not as good as Gareth Barry or Hargreaves in a flat central midfield role, but i think he should be played in an advanced position just off the front two, he is creative and can score a few goals

Michael Owen is a living England legend.

Anyone who has written any of the above ridiculous reports please tell me who else would have scored a wonder goal against Isreal in the 49th minute last Saturday.

You do not get to 38 international goals by being a one trick pony.

Show some respect and football knowledge to acknowledge a striker that will be talked about for many, many years to come, long, long after Shearer, Wright, Sheringham, Johnson et, all - except messrs Greaves, Linekar and Charlton (for now).

What odds another OWEN goal against the Ruskies on Wednesday?