Scarves out of car windows

everyone seems to have window stickers these days! u do see the odd scarf flying along the motorway tho...i always used to be scared id lose mine if i hung it out the window:)

I used to get a real thrill, as a young lad, seeing blue and white (or tangerine and blue) scarves flying when travelling to away games. We would count the number of scarves we saw to pass the time .

The reason I'm asking is because, last Saturday, I flew a scarf out of my car window, for the first time in years, as I travelled to watch my local team. My wife thought I was completely mad until I explained that was what all English football fans did. She then understood, but still thought I was mad!!

Viva cultural differences!!

Edited by ThaiLatic

I used to get a real thrill, as a young lad, seeing blue and white (or tangerine and blue) scarves flying when travelling to away games. We would count the number of scarves we saw to pass the time .

The reason I'm asking is because, last Saturday, I flew a scarf out of my car window, for the first time in years, as I travelled to watch my local team. My wife thought I was completely mad until I explained that was what all English football fans did. She then understood, but still thought I was mad!!

Viva cultural differences!!

Its best driving down with a certain club mascots head outside ya window

i did well not to mention any names there!

I used to until my mate got a car where he could control every window from his door, he thought it was funny to see me panic,

electric windows killed it for me lol.

i would say its a good idea if you are playing well generally away from home. bit like showing off really.

Ticker tape, rattles et al!!

They sell small old-fashioned wooden football rattles at Gallery Oldham in Greaves Street -they're cheap too. I doubt whether they would be allowed into BP or any other ground, but if you want one for nostalgia's sake the Gallery is the place.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

Sorry, double post! :blush:

You see Diego, the madness catches us all in the end. I think the scarf out of the window died when clubs started selling the flags on plastic flagpoles which you clip over the glass. I just lie my scarf across the back parcel shelf these days. Stops all this northern smog dirtying it!!!

In recent years I've usually gone on away trips by train so I haven't noticed anything die out. I remember playing Sheffield Wednesday in the Premiership and seeing all these scarfs hanging out of windows from different cars and being terrified

I know Coulrophobia is the fear of clowns :clown: but I'm not sure a fear of football scarves has been recognised as an illness yet by the BMA :grin:

Wardle's car last year, containing him, Mark, Johnny, Ominous Poulty and myself (it was cosy :wub: ) driving over to Bradford, just after the tangerine scarfs were out, mistook a van load of Donkey Lashers covered in said colour for Latics and were waving as we went by. Could have been contraversial if they were naughty boys.

Arrhhh scarfs a word I love. If traveling by car it is the first thing I do .... scarve out of the window. My favourate scarve is my 'yed one that has oldham sown in it ..... somethings I stick them out of train windows, out them out of the windows of the coach on the way back from Brighton.

Ummm talking of scarves .... watch this space!!!!!!!

Arrhhh scarfs a word I love. If traveling by car it is the first thing I do .... scarve out of the window. My favourate scarve is my 'yed one that has oldham sown in it ..... somethings I stick them out of train windows, out them out of the windows of the coach on the way back from Brighton.

Ummm talking of scarves .... watch this space!!!!!!!

I'm pleased to hear that it is still a part of the English football culture.

I did it again this evening, on the way to the match. We won 3-1 and I'd like to think that my scarf out of the car window payed a major part in our victory.

Next weekend I intend to introduce throwing toilet rolls to Thai football :)

I'm pleased to hear that it is still a part of the English football culture.

I did it again this evening, on the way to the match. We won 3-1 and I'd like to think that my scarf out of the car window payed a major part in our victory.

Whats thai football like do you get big crowds?atmos etc? or is this just local stuff as the countries quite big.

As long as you don't go as far as sharpened coins, golf balls with nails through or darts, I think that you should be OK.

PS ........ Do they serve Bovril at Football matches in Thailand?

Edited by Rick

As long as you don't go as far as sharpened coins, golf balls with nails through or darts, I think that you should be OK.

PS ........ Do they serve Bovril at Football matches in Thailand?

The majority of teams in the Thai Premier League are company or forces teams.

However, I support a team who represent a city (and province). We are the best supported team in the country and attact a passionate bunch of fans. Our average home attendance is about 1,800 and we regularly take 200 to away games. There were 1,500 at the match tonight.

I appreciate that, by English standards, this is quite poor but here our home crowds are the equivalent of 100,000 at the Nou Camp!! Most other teams attract around 500/750.

Sadly, Bovril is not available at Thai football grounds but you can drink beer and eat as much somtam as you like whilst watching the match.

There was a cracking atmosphere at tonight's match as we ended a 4 match winless streak with a 3-1 victory which moved us back into 2nd place.