Players we signed who you thought would be world beaters

How many players have we signed who we thought would do the business for us big time, and ended up being a waste of time, money and space?

There are quite a few down the years, but top of my list has to be Allan Smart. The first big money signing we made in years, and he scored about eight goals for us, costing us something like 40 grand a goal. absolute shambolic, and to top it all he went out and got arrested on a night out. I really did have big hopes for him when he signed.

There are others tho, Dele Adebola for example.

On another note, how many players have we signed you thought would be pants, and actually turned out being half decent? I thought Porter was a bad signing tbh, purely because he cost £100,000, but he did the business in the end and, taking away the manner in which he left us, he was actually a cracking purchase.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many players have we signed who we thought would do the business for us big time, and ended up being a waste of time, money and space?

There are quite a few down the years, but top of my list has to be Allan Smart. The first big money signing we made in years, and he scored about eight goals for us, costing us something like 40 grand a goal. absolute shambolic, and to top it all he went out and got arrested on a night out. I really did have big hopes for him when he signed.

There are others tho, Dele Adebola for example.

On another note, how many players have we signed you thought would be pants, and actually turned out being half decent? I thought Porter was a bad signing tbh, purely because he cost £100,000, but he did the business in the end and, taking away the manner in which he left us, he was actually a cracking purchase.

Massive Disappointments:-

Steve Whitehall

Glenn Keeley

Mike Fillery

John Keeley

Richard Butcher

Brian Kilcline

Chris Day

Andy Liddell

Nick Banger

David Currie

Paul Moulden

Billy Kenny

Toddy Orlygsson

John Gannon

Paul Kane

Neil Tolson (The next Alan Clarke)

Darren Beckford

Matthew Rush

Jigsaw Barlow

Unexpected Revelations:-

Fitz Hall

Tony Carss

John Sheridan

Frank Bunn

Ian Ormondroyd (2nd Spell)

Gary Kelly

Neil Kilkenny (Occasionally)

Chris Porter

Paul Warne

Ian Snodin

Gunnar Halle

Craig Fleming

Edited by oafcprozac

Massive Disappointments:-

Steve Whitehall

Glenn Keeley

Mike Fillery

John Keeley

Richard Butcher

Brian Kilcline

Chris Day

Andy Liddell

Nick Banger

David Currie

Paul Moulden

Billy Kenny

Toddy Orlygsson

John Gannon

Paul Kane

Neil Tolson (The next Alan Clarke)

Darren Beckford

Matthew Rush

Jigsaw Barlow

Unexpected Revelations:-

Fitz Hall

Tony Carss

John Sheridan

Frank Bunn

Ian Ormondroyd (2nd Spell)

Gary Kelly

Neil Kilkenny (Occasionally)

Chris Porter

Paul Warne

Ian Snodin

Gunnar Halle

Craig Fleming

liddell? whats the dissapointment , he is not 21 anymore so he cant run all day but was leading the table in assists last season wasnt he?, not to mention a few goals.cant ask more from a right winger can you?

liddell? whats the dissapointment , he is not 21 anymore so he cant run all day but was leading the table in assists last season wasnt he?, not to mention a few goals.cant ask more from a right winger can you?

Can't run, won't run. Doesn't like getting stuck into a challenge.

Can't watch, won't watch??? (the same game as the rest of us)

Only my opinion, I was so excited when we signed Liddell as I thought we were getting a player that would light up dreary afternoons at BP. Instead we got a player who plays when he feels like it ok he's provided assists but it is no coincidence in his two long absences coincided with our best runs of the season Feb - April '06 and the run we are currently on.

tbh past few games crossley's been better than usual. just a few dodgy kicks. put them aside and hes been decent imo

He's gone from below average to distinctly average. He's doing the bare minimujm of what's expected. Just a shame Marlon got injured. I think Crossley is slowly getting fitter though and once Skippy is fit he'll have someone breathing down his neck and that can only be good news.

In recent times Kalala is absolute bobbins after all the hype Yeovil were desperate to keep him. Andy Goram second time around was a huge mistake and tarnished his memory. Andy Gorton for throwing away a very very bright future.

On the other side Mark Ward turned out a good un for us. Quite a list from Prozac so little more to add.

How about Carlo Corrazin? He was a Canadian international striker don't you know. Never seemed to quite be the striker I thought he would be and wasn't that Lee Hardy supposed to be David Eyres' natural replacement?

I didn't think Crossley would be that brilliant but I didn't think he'd be as bad as he has been so far.

He's gone from below average to distinctly average. He's doing the bare minimujm of what's expected. Just a shame Marlon got injured. I think Crossley is slowly getting fitter though and once Skippy is fit he'll have someone breathing down his neck and that can only be good news.

l cant wait for Pogliacomi to come back there were nothing wrong with him in the first place

:angry: get rid of crossley

Edited by spadam

what did everyone think of paul rickers?

Rickers like Scott McNiven was harshly criticised imo, especially as he was often played out of position on the right when his best position was centre-mid. He was also good for a few goals every season, his goals at Bramall Lane and Glanford Park stand out as screamers and his clincher v Bolton in his debut season was a great moment too. McNiven S and Rickers were Like players such as Smalley, Eardley and Trotman they are/were being educated and growing up playing first team football.

As for McNiven D......................... :angry:

Edited by oafcprozac

How about Carlo Corrazin? He was a Canadian international striker don't you know. Never seemed to quite be the striker I thought he would be and wasn't that Lee Hardy supposed to be David Eyres' natural replacement?

Carlo was the DBs, 100% effort every game.

As for Rickers, I remember that his one brief spell of good form was followed by his transfer. Never forget the 2 beauties he scored at 'Udders though in the league cup which led to Steve Bruce's demise.

I echo other sentiments re: Crossley; I expected average, and we got somewhere ranging from terrible to below average depending on your point of view.

Edited by slurms mckenzie