Players we signed who you thought would be world beaters

We keep going forward with Smalley....not turning back into the midfield endlessly. Smalley's made some difference. And is a kid I'd rather see given a chance than someone who's legs have gone and passes backwards endlessly. Oh and Smalley comes into the middle during attacks (yep he misses glorious chances at times...at least he's there and in time he'll bag them) with Davies going wide right which has helped. Movement....interchanging players and positions. Rather than Lids who drops anchor. I know which I'd rather. And it really is no coincidence. I'm afraid pointing out to some that Lids is disappointing is like telling a bible basher than Mary was a slut! :D

A pedictable response BB........the only thing missing was a reference to a previous laboured point of yours showing off that you were correct or have said it before...............plus maybe a link to one of your 6 month old posts??? :wink:

The debate now seems to be going away from "Andy Liddell has been a disapointment", which he has been given what I (probably unrealistically) expected, to "Andy Liddell is over the hill, a major factor in the poor form we were going through and his enforced absence the key to our now good form," which has in turn led to the Smalley/Liddell argument.

You believe we are more potent with Deane Smalley playing instead of Andy Liddell

Well I, like Shez, judge a player primarily on his ability to 'take care of the ball'. Something the quality veteran Andy Liddell does very well. You see him pass backwards endlessly, I see him doing the simple things well. Smalley on the other hand fails to do the simple things well, the boo boys arent on his back because they dont like his face. I anticipated your argument would include something along the lines of 'Smalley gets forward, there is movement and interchanging of positions', well your Alan Hansen impression doesnt pull the wool over my eyes. That is :censored:. I think you would defend a scarecrow being picked over 'Teflon' Lids as you call him. Teflon Smalley would be better seeing as the ball wont stick to him!

All in all BB80 I like your posts I think you talk a lot of sense but your fortnightly gunning of Andy Liddell on JKL is equally as tiresome and predictable on here as it was on there. Anybody who cares is now fully aware of your opinion of Lids but few agree so can we lay it to rest now please?

Oh and I dont like to criticise Smalley, im sure he will come good and he has my support, but his recent performances have been poor hence his temporary ommision from the side.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:grin: For those who didn't see it Prozacs remark is true the keeper had to take two steps forward to pick it up!

Happy days..........

highlight of that day was Beckford going in goal he was superb, far more effective than his big fat (two jack Russells fighting in a sack) arse playing up front! He even kept a clean sheet against Steve Bull and co.

:laught16::laught16::laught16::ass3: More like two Irish Wolfhounds. Didn't he have stabalisers fitted? but great performance in goal.

The only time I ever saw Beckford get a clean shot away was on Craig Short's conk in their punch up late on in the FA Cup Tie, that was tremendous on a par with some of the shots Mayweather landed on Hatton last week!

A pedictable response BB........the only thing missing was a reference to a previous laboured point of yours showing off that you were correct or have said it before...............plus maybe a link to one of your 6 month old posts??? :wink:

The debate now seems to be going away from "Andy Liddell has been a disapointment", which he has been given what I (probably unrealistically) expected, to "Andy Liddell is over the hill, a major factor in the poor form we were going through and his enforced absence the key to our now good form," which has in turn led to the Smalley/Liddell argument.

You believe we are more potent with Deane Smalley playing instead of Andy Liddell

Well I, like Shez, judge a player primarily on his ability to 'take care of the ball'. Something the quality veteran Andy Liddell does very well. You see him pass backwards endlessly, I see him doing the simple things well. Smalley on the other hand fails to do the simple things well, the boo boys arent on his back because they dont like his face. I anticipated your argument would include something along the lines of 'Smalley gets forward, there is movement and interchanging of positions', well your Alan Hansen impression doesnt pull the wool over my eyes. That is :censored:. I think you would defend a scarecrow being picked over 'Teflon' Lids as you call him. Teflon Smalley would be better seeing as the ball wont stick to him!

All in all BB80 I like your posts I think you talk a lot of sense but your fortnightly gunning of Andy Liddell on JKL is equally as tiresome and predictable on here as it was on there. Anybody who cares is now fully aware of your opinion of Lids but few agree so can we lay it to rest now please?

Oh and I dont like to criticise Smalley, im sure he will come good and he has my support, but his recent performances have been poor hence his temporary ommision from the side.

Not really Stitch....it's a shame those sticking up for Lids have to turned it into "the Smalley/Liddell argument".....and quite frankly, just to piss all over that, I was actually saying that Taylor should be moved back over to right rather than Smalley coming in. But as that wasn't going to happen, said that Smalley should be given a go. If you want me to continue your Smalley/Liddell argument.....He got that chance and for an 18yr old, really hasn't disappointed.....he's got to make his mistakes to learn from them. Wasn't Smalley fouled in the box on Sat for the pen? Hmmmm....would Lids have been getting in there.....we can make comparisons if you like, but I think that's quite pointless as they offer different things. Smalley's offered plenty since he's come in and yeah...I do "believe we are more potent with Deane Smalley playing instead of Andy Liddell"

And for those trotting out the Assist table as stats from the past to prove the greatness of Liddell.....stats from the present are....

League: 13 goals in 14 league games with Lids playing, compared to 9 in 5 games.

Overall: 20 goals in 18 league games with Lids playing, compared to 14 in 8 games.

Yes, we are more potent.

Oh and one final thing....on a post titled "players you thought would be world beaters" etc......I will stick Andy Liddell thanks! It's those who cry when I do that who resurrect the "fortnightly gunning of Andy Liddell".....and so my same points that you've read before, that they possibly haven't are repeated. Oh well.

Stick him in the middle, from the bench and I'll be happy.

Not really Stitch....it's a shame those sticking up for Lids have to turned it into "the Smalley/Liddell argument".....and quite frankly, just to piss all over that, I was actually saying that Taylor should be moved back over to right rather than Smalley coming in. But as that wasn't going to happen, said that Smalley should be given a go. If you want me to continue your Smalley/Liddell argument.....He got that chance and for an 18yr old, really hasn't disappointed.....he's got to make his mistakes to learn from them. Wasn't Smalley fouled in the box on Sat for the pen? Hmmmm....would Lids have been getting in there.....we can make comparisons if you like, but I think that's quite pointless as they offer different things. Smalley's offered plenty since he's come in and yeah...I do "believe we are more potent with Deane Smalley playing instead of Andy Liddell"

And for those trotting out the Assist table as stats from the past to prove the greatness of Liddell.....stats from the present are....

League: 13 goals in 14 league games with Lids playing, compared to 9 in 5 games.

Overall: 20 goals in 18 league games with Lids playing, compared to 14 in 8 games.

Yes, we are more potent.

Oh and one final thing....on a post titled "players you thought would be world beaters" etc......I will stick Andy Liddell thanks! It's those who cry when I do that who resurrect the "fortnightly gunning of Andy Liddell".....and so my same points that you've read before, that they possibly haven't are repeated. Oh well.

Stick him in the middle, from the bench and I'll be happy.

Some good points there. Particularly the Taylor should have moved back to the right one. I also agree Lids wouldnt have been in that position to win the pen, has generally been somewhat of a disapointment given his reputation and that his future may be from the bench. But I also think you are repeatedley very harsh on him which is why I made the effort to defend him this afternoon, when I was fed up at work and feeling somewhat confrontational! :lol:

I do think that when he is fit he will be back in and around the team and that will be, in Shez's eyes, on merit. And I think it will be either on the right of midfield in a 4-4-2 or hopefully central in the new 4-3-3.

EDIT : I totally disagree that we are more potent with Smalley over Lids. And the goals scored stat can't support that because it has been 1 of a few changes. And many think Lids would be more effective centrally so considering the recent changes we might just yet see him there and feel a benefit. Time will tell!

Edited by Stitch_KTF

Some good points there. Particularly the Taylor should have moved back to the right one. I also agree Lids wouldnt have been in that position to win the pen, has generally been somewhat of a disapointment given his reputation and that his future may be from the bench. But I also think you are repeatedley very harsh on him which is why I made the effort to defend him this afternoon, when I was fed up at work and feeling somewhat confrontational! :lol:

I do think that when he is fit he will be back in and around the team and that will be, in Shez's eyes, on merit. And I think it will be either on the right of midfield in a 4-4-2 or hopefully central in the new 4-3-3.

EDIT : I totally disagree that we are more potent with Smalley over Lids. And the goals scored stat can't support that because it has been 1 of a few changes. And many think Lids would be more effective centrally so considering the recent changes we might just yet see him there and feel a benefit. Time will tell!

If KK goes, then I really do think with Smalley kept in, Lids will take up that "Scholes" role behind the front two. Ok, he wouldn't cover as much ground as the ginger one, but with McD to complement and Allott doing the "cute" stuff in the centre circle.....I think it might work. As you say, time will tell. Anyway, it is moving away now from the point of this topic, but my opinion on this topic is that Lids should be included as a disappointment. Well.....he is for me. Shame really.

Mark Hughes.

That's a good call. I thought he was the most under-rated of the loanees when we had him with KK and Croft (average age of the midfield = 25), he had fantastic defensive positioning and could put in a very good reducer. He seemed to fade badly when we signed him amidst talk of his McCat diet and general health and fitness concerns.

Just for BOB!

Asa Hartford played for us between March - May 1989. He was well past it by then, basically Uncle Joe was doing him a favour as he'd just been sacked as Stockport County Player/Manager. On checking both Pine Villa and Oldham Athletic A 100 year Journey and my proggy collection Hartford'd appearance's panned out as follows:-

He played as a sub in the 3-1 away defeat at West Brom on 27/4/89

He played as a sub in the 4-1 defeat of Ipswich on 4/4/89 The night Palmer broke Gemmell's record

He was also a playing sub vs Palace away in a 2-0 loss on 8/4/89

He played sub against Plymouth in a 2-2 draw at BP on 29/4/89

He started 3 games

at no. 4 vs Bradford City in a 1-1 draw at BP on 1/4/89

Then he proceeded to play two games wearing no. 9!!! Versus Leicester in a 2-1 win a Fibert street on 1/5/89

And another game at no. 9 at Elland Road in a 0-0 draw on 6/5/89

Hartford was a non-playing sub on 4 occasions too!

The programme vs Bradford City on 1/4/89 stated the following:-

"Manager Joe Royle moved quickly last week when he signed the experienced Asa Hartford to provide midfiled cover during the next few weeks. Asa was surprisingly sacked as player manager at Stockposrt County after taking them to the fringe of promotion play off pack, but was pleased to be able to provide cover at Boundary Park as skipper John Kelly starts a two match suspension today and MIke Milligan is only a further booking away from the same fate. 38 year old Asa has kept himself remarkably fit and has the experience of over 900 senior appearances behind him, but manager Joe Royle has promised him that should a management oppportunity come his way he will be released immediately."

Edited by oafcprozac

Betsy was infuriating, everyone knew technically he was a class above but often he didn't want it enough. A bit like Liddell............ :tongue1:

Besty also was forced to play upfront for most of his Latics career, everyone knew he was a wide player. He moved onto Wycome/Brizzle and played on the right and was fantastic. I would have him back tomorrow. Him amd taylor on the flancs would be fantastic. B)

• 1 month later...
Christian Collusso anyone?

He'll always be a 'Tics legend for the equaliser at Gigg Lane. Incredible scenes!

It's the same with Macca...however much criticism he gets whilst at the club from his detractors, in a few years time when he's long been gone he'll be rightly remembered as a true Latics Legend for his goals at Scunny and Everton.

That's a good call. I thought he was the most under-rated of the loanees when we had him with KK and Croft (average age of the midfield = 25), he had fantastic defensive positioning and could put in a very good reducer. He seemed to fade badly when we signed him amidst talk of his McCat diet and general health and fitness concerns.

erm... McCat? am i missing something here?