Players we signed who you thought would be world beaters

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carlo was the DBs, 100% effort every game.

I don't disagree with that at all, he definately put his all in every game, didn't dislike him as a player but from what he was built up to be and what he turned out to be was a bit of a disappointment. I remember his goal against Leeds in a friendly and the goals he scored past Huddersfield but apart from his start he was a bit of a disappointment to me.

He did you're right! Another one to be removed from the debate! Hall of famer! :lol:

Actually he scored his 4 in 2000/01, my mistake.

9/9/00 Wrexham 3 Latics 1 (Corazzin) A Certain Mr. Killen scored his first ever League Goal for Rectum whilst on loan from Citeh

10/2/01 Latics 5 Wrexham 1 (Corazzin 4, Rickers)

11/8/01 Wrexham 3 Latics 3 (Allott, Eyres, Corazzin)

19/1/02 Latics 3 Wrexham 1 (Murray, Shez (Pen), Corazzin)

Both Matty Appleby and Michael Clegg came to the club with a bit of pedigree...

Appleby looked decent until his injury, Clegg was pants but did ok in 03/04 when we had no-one else but to seeing as he had a pedigree at Man Utd and played quite a few games deputising for Mr. Neville he was poor!

Unexpected revelations.. David Eyres.

Signing a 38 (?) year old winger from Preston.. didnt think he'd be as good as he was.. also didnt expect him to stay with us for that long.

Agree totally. When signing carss and Eyres on the same day I remember thinking Carss Who? And Eyres I though WTF he's 38 what good is he going to be!!!!!???

Club From To Fee League FA Cup League cup Other

Oldham 12-10-2000 08-05-2006 Free 181 (25) 33 15 (2) 5 8 (0) 2 8 (2) 4 Eyresy LEGEND! Probably one of the cleanest strikers opf the ball I've seen at Latics. Shame Joe Royle didn't sign him before Blackpool in '89 when he had the chance. Doh!

Edited by oafcprozac

Anyone remember Albert Quixall and Martin Buchan playing for Latics..if so any comments ?

I remember Buchan but not Quixall. Buchan of course came to us after a distinguished career with Man Utd and I suppose you would have to say that he just saw out his years without showing much at all for us. Probably a bit like Willie Donachie who was always just steady rather than spectacular.

Anyone remember Albert Quixall and Martin Buchan playing for Latics..if so any comments ?

Ah yes, Quixall the "Golden Boy". He of the dodgy knee, which seemed to be more dodgy than usual prior to long away trips. Buchan with the largest arris ever to grace a pair of Latics shorts. All he ever did was point to where he thought other Latics players should go. Garbage the pair of them.

Tony Hateley anyone ?

Ah yes, Quixall the "Golden Boy". He of the dodgy knee, which seemed to be more dodgy than usual prior to long away trips. Buchan with the largest arris ever to grace a pair of Latics shorts. All he ever did was point to where he thought other Latics players should go. Garbage the pair of them.

Tony Hateley anyone ?

You must be from the "Golden Age" if you remember Quixall rictic

Billy Kenny

Was one of the most promising footballers this country had produced. Managed to balls it all up at Everton....Joe Royal gave him a life line just to ruin it all after a number of really good games by getting sacked for taking drugs if I remember correctly...what a waste...

Billy Kenny

Was one of the most promising footballers this country had produced. Managed to balls it all up at Everton....Joe Royal gave him a life line just to ruin it all after a number of really good games by getting sacked for taking drugs if I remember correctly...what a waste...

Buchan was class just like John Hurst..

pants? Michael Ricketts just about as bad they get.

The OP also asked who we thought would be pants but turned out well.

Well, off the top of my head, 3 players Dirty Leeds thought were pants are

Deeeeennnnis Irwin

Andy Linighan

Andy Ritchie

3 players Man City thought were pants:

Paul Warhurst

Earl Barratt

Rodge the Dodge

All 'rejects' as it were, but became legends at Latics.

Can anyone figure out how much in total we forked out for just these six? Couldn't be more than 100k could it?

It's absolutely piss funny to still see people bleating that rubbish about Liddell! I wish I could earn 3yrs worth of cash, for 3 months effort......biggest disappointment (before ya start, that doesn't mean the worst, it means the most disappointing from what I expected!) player I've ever seen in a Latics shirt! Magical free-kicks? What 2 of them??? Stuck loads in for Wigan, Barnsley and Sheff Utd though. Oh and top of the assists table in Jan 07.....I can count his assists since on 1 hand and even then I've a few fingers to spare (no, I'm not from Burnley either!) And I bet I could count them on 1 hand from when he signed in June 05 up to Oct 06!

We finally look like scoring since Liddell got injured!!! And do so score!!! Hughes has helped on that score. But the OAFC cancer that has been Andy Liddell has been cured too! Feb 2007 to Oct 2007.....gash and relegation form and Lids' passenger performances have been a big reason why! Porter didn't just turn :censored: overnight last season....Lids did and couldn't provide an ounce of ability! Since his disappearance this season.....8 unbeaten (9 overall) & 14 goals! Says it all IMO!

Edited by boundaryblue80

Betsy was infuriating, everyone knew technically he was a class above but often he didn't want it enough. A bit like Liddell............ :tongue1:

Betsy was a scapegoat for not being Lee Croft. He wasn't the best, nor the worst. But he would've been able to prove himself if he hadn't got stupid with his wage demands. Oh well.