Players we signed who you thought would be world beaters

It's absolutely piss funny to still see people bleating that rubbish about Liddell! I wish I could earn 3yrs worth of cash, for 3 months effort......biggest disappointment (before ya start, that doesn't mean the worst, it means the most disappointing from what I expected!) player I've ever seen in a Latics shirt! Magical free-kicks? What 2 of them??? Stuck loads in for Wigan, Barnsley and Sheff Utd though. Oh and top of the assists table in Jan 07.....I can count his assists since on 1 hand and even then I've a few fingers to spare (no, I'm not from Burnley either!) And I bet I could count them on 1 hand from when he signed in June 05 up to Oct 06!

We finally look like scoring since Liddell got injured!!! And do so score!!! Hughes has helped on that score. But the OAFC cancer that has been Andy Liddell has been cured too! Feb 2007 to Oct 2007.....gash and relegation form and Lids' passenger performances have been a big reason why! Porter didn't just turn :censored: overnight last season....Lids did and couldn't provide an ounce of ability! Since his disappearance this season.....8 unbeaten (9 overall) & 14 goals! Says it all IMO!

I generaly feel your opinion isnt up too much and im glad to say that you have done nothing to change my mind with this post :)

2005 - 2006 35 starts 10 goals

2006 - 2007 51 starts (2 sub) 11 goals

86 games and 21 goals in two years! Thats a goal every four games!!! He averaged a goal every 3 games for Wigan.

I think most clubs would be happy with that mate. Also didnt he play as a forward for Wigan ?

Not a bad return at all for a midfilder!!!! We have players playing better than he was at the start of this season and he shouldnt be in the team right now but to call Liddell disapointing is a joke....

Edited by oafc0000

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I generaly feel your opinion isnt up too much and im glad to say that you have done nothing to change my mind with this post :)

2005 - 2006 35 starts 10 goals

2006 - 2007 51 starts (2 sub) 11 goals

86 games and 21 goals in two years! Thats a goal every four games!!! He averaged a goal every 3 games for Wigan.

I think most clubs would be happy with that mate. Also didnt he play as a forward for Wigan ?

Not a bad return at all for a midfilder!!!! We have players playing better than he was at the start of this season and he shouldnt be in the team right now but to call Liddell disapointing is a joke....

Ok he's scored 21 goals (24 inc this season so far)but how many were penalties? I'll tell you, 13 were penalties and there's been a few free-kicks too so whilst 1 in 4 doesn't look too bad his goals from open play is actually very poor. Whilst people rightly bleat on about his assists ratio I think the problem I've had with him in the past is he often goes missing and looks like he couldn't give a monkeys's whilst constantly pointing at thin air. Shez has missed a trick with Lidds though, Ronnie played him as part of a forward three for the most part and he looked threatening, on the right he often looks like an old man whose legs have gone. His crossing ability is second to none but often he turns back as his creaking body fails to take him past the last man. Personally I'd play him in the hole, he's often looked good there when switched there on rare occasions. The biggest let down for me was how often we saw Liddell play for Wigan and what a cracking player he looked scoring all types of goals, we've only seen glimpses from a guy that is winding down at the end of his career. Perhaps i'm being harsh but I expected a lot more from Liddell when we signed him.

Ok he's scored 21 goals (24 inc this season so far)but how many were penalties? I'll tell you, 13 were penalties and there's been a few free-kicks too so whilst 1 in 4 doesn't look too bad his goals from open play is actually very poor. Whilst people rightly bleat on about his assists ratio I think the problem I've had with him in the past is he often goes missing and looks like he couldn't give a monkeys's whilst constantly pointing at thin air. Shez has missed a trick with Lidds though, Ronnie played him as part of a forward three for the most part and he looked threatening, on the right he often looks like an old man whose legs have gone. His crossing ability is second to none but often he turns back as his creaking body fails to take him past the last man. Personally I'd play him in the hole, he's often looked good there when switched there on rare occasions. The biggest let down for me was how often we saw Liddell play for Wigan and what a cracking player he looked scoring all types of goals, we've only seen glimpses from a guy that is winding down at the end of his career. Perhaps i'm being harsh but I expected a lot more from Liddell when we signed him.

Pens ? In off his arse ? 40 year wonder goal ? Who cares!! Still needed scoring!

he has managed to be first choice under two managers for 86 starts.....and considering he had a lengthy injury thats not bad in two years and half years...most of been doing something right....

Edited by oafc0000

The most disappointing thing about McGinlay was he was quite clearly finished and crocked when he got here, yet on one leg he was head and shoulders above the strikers we had at the time. Shows how poor people like Whitehall were

Your right about McGinlay...

I did also feel for Whitehall we should never had bought him. He was in his later years and his legs had gone. he would of been brillant if we got him five years earlier...

Pens ? In off his arse ? 40 year wonder goal ? Who cares!! Still needed scoring!

he has managed to be first choice under two managers for 86 starts.....and considering he had a lengthy injury thats not bad in two years and half years...most of been doing something right....

Whatever he's done, however he's played (a year ago now), the obvious is there. HIS LEGS HAVE GONE. He's pap now. He turns back every time as he has no ability to go forward. This makes Eardley look naff because he can't make any forward runs, and if he does Liddell loses it and he is caught way out of position. To me, contract up time can't come soon enough.

He has played his part in the past though so I wouldn't put him in the disappointment bracket.

Christian Collusso anyone?

Your right about McGinlay...

I did also feel for Whitehall we should never had bought him. He was in his later years and his legs had gone. he would of been brillant if we got him five years earlier...

The most frustrating thing about Whitehall was he was our number 9 yet was the only one who could take a decent corner. He still scored some belters, the late winner vs Millwall stands out and he was always a threat in the air, its a shame our crossing was generally non-existtent under Ritchie apart from occasional quality balls from Reid or Adams, and I agree a couple of years younger and he would've been superb, we signed him three years too late, and how then hell did that shot stay out vs Chelsea!?

Massive Disappointments:-

Steve Whitehall

Glenn Keeley

Mike Fillery

John Keeley

Richard Butcher

Brian Kilcline

Chris Day

Andy Liddell

Nick Banger

David Currie

Paul Moulden

Billy Kenny

Toddy Orlygsson NO! NO! NO! - You are all wrong!

John Gannon

Paul Kane

Neil Tolson (The next Alan Clarke)

Darren Beckford

Matthew Rush

Jigsaw Barlow

Unexpected Revelations:-

Fitz Hall

Tony Carss

John Sheridan

Frank Bunn

Ian Ormondroyd (2nd Spell)

Gary Kelly

Neil Kilkenny (Occasionally, especially during his first spell when we didn't have a clue who this kid was!)

Chris Porter

Paul Warne

Ian Snodin

Gunnar Halle

Craig Fleming

stuart barlow anyone ?

In all his glory, yet he moves to Wigan and becomes a frickin' goal machine!

Edited by rummytheowl
Toddy was superb!

The biggest disappointment for me was signing left back Ray Wilson MBE so late in his career, when his knee was knackered and his pace had gone.

Ray was a member of the England 1966 World Cup winning team. In the Final against West Germany his weak early header fell to striker Helmut Haller who gave the Germans the lead. Some people thought t was all over then, but it wasn't! :England: Ray was the oldest member of the squad at 31 and the victory crowned an especially good year for him, winning the F.A. Cup with Everton and then adding the biggest prize in the game. Only Roger Hunt - a title winner with Liverpool in 1966 - could claim a similarly two-fold success.

He joined Latics in 1969 on a free transfer from Everton, but only played 25 games before retiring in 1970 to run an undertaker's business in Huddersfield.

My biggest disappointment over a player that nearly signed for us but didn't is, of course, the one and only............. Diego Cervero. :Spain:

I dont think you can say Stuart Barlow....I dont remember expecations being high regarding him....if anything he was surprisingly good really....

Seriously? :laught16:

Cost us £350k missed sitter after sitter whilst 32 goals in all competitions in 90 starts looks a decent return he went on to score 52 in all competitions for Wigan in an almost identical number of games. (93) Then he scored 27 for Tranmere in 74 starts, he was supposedly in his pomp at BP, I think for the money we paid out in transer fee and wages he underachieved.

Seriously? :laught16:

Cost us £350k missed sitter after sitter whilst 32 goals in all competitions in 90 starts looks a decent return he went on to score 52 in all competitions for Wigan in an almost identical number of games. (93) Then he scored 27 for Tranmere in 74 starts, he was supposedly in his pomp at BP, I think for the money we paid out in transer fee and wages he underachieved.

Dont think your being fair....he was very much a Paul Warne type of player....although you do have a point about how much he cost.... Overall I though Barlow was a resonable player...

Edited by oafc0000

The OP also asked who we thought would be pants but turned out well.

Well, off the top of my head, 3 players Dirty Leeds thought were pants are

Deeeeennnnis Irwin

Andy Linighan

Andy Ritchie

3 players Man City thought were pants:

Paul Warhurst

Earl Barratt

Rodge the Dodge

All 'rejects' as it were, but became legends at Latics.

Can anyone figure out how much in total we forked out for just these six? Couldn't be more than 100k could it?

Irwin - Free

Linighan - £80k

Ritchie - £50k

Warhurst - £10k

Barrett - £30k

Palmer - £70k

That's from memory but I'm pretty sure that I'm not far off. We made a hell of a lot of profit on Irwin (sold for £650k); Warhurst (£750k); Linighan (£350k) and Barrett (£1.75m) anyway! Again - may be a bit wrong with the fees received but I can't be arsed checking up.

Billy Bremner may have been great for Leeds but he was good to Oldham as well! My favourite story though is about Warhurst. Apparently, City wanted to get their own back for us getting Earl on the cheap - so they dumped the asthmatic Warhurst on us for £10k and he went on to become a full England International. Oooooops. :grin:

For the pie-eaters: Neil McDonald (probably still our second most expensive signing), a player who looked quite good at Everton and came to us and was bobbins. Ian Olney is a bit harsh as he only played for 3/4 of a season didn't he before he knackered his knee and he scored some goals including a memorable winner (for me) against Spurs. Josh Low was bigged up by Dowie but he never really proved his worth (who apart from that made a few good signings for us).

For the surprising legends Tony Carss was a good player always played out of position and we got him on the cheap didn't we? Ernie Cooksey was signed because we were desperate and turned out to be OK. Wayne Andrews was a good player but he didn't exactly leave in the best circumstances.

Anyone remember Albert Quixall and Martin Buchan playing for Latics..if so any comments ?

Being of an age I remember Albert Quixall. Always in the team in Fridays Chron and injured on Saturday.

Martin Buchan was a class player but past his best with Latics

What about the following for us older supporters

David Down (great at Bradford PA under Jack Rowley but garbage under Jack at BP)

Being of an age I remember Albert Quixall. Always in the team in Fridays Chron and injured on Saturday.

Martin Buchan was a class player but past his best with Latics

What about the following for us older supporters

David Down (great at Bradford PA under Jack Rowley but garbage under Jack at BP)

Does anyone remember a player from the 1970s called Paul Hughes?

Irwin - Free

Linighan - £80k

Ritchie - £50k

Warhurst - £10k

Barrett - £30k

Palmer - £70k

That's from memory but I'm pretty sure that I'm not far off. We made a hell of a lot of profit on Irwin (sold for £650k); Warhurst (£750k); Linighan (£350k) and Barrett (£1.75m) anyway! Again - may be a bit wrong with the fees received but I can't be arsed checking up.

Billy Bremner may have been great for Leeds but he was good to Oldham as well! My favourite story though is about Warhurst. Apparently, City wanted to get their own back for us getting Earl on the cheap - so they dumped the asthmatic Warhurst on us for £10k and he went on to become a full England International. Oooooops. :grin:

billy bremner once told joe royle " denis irwin will never be a footballer as long as i have a hole in my arse"

right billy, he was crap wasnt he! :lol:

The biggest disappointment for me was signing left back Ray Wilson MBE so late in his career, when his knee was knackered and his pace had gone.

Ray was a member of the England 1966 World Cup winning team. In the Final against West Germany his weak early header fell to striker Helmut Haller who gave the Germans the lead. Some people thought t was all over then, but it wasn't! :England: Ray was the oldest member of the squad at 31 and the victory crowned an especially good year for him, winning the F.A. Cup with Everton and then adding the biggest prize in the game. Only Roger Hunt - a title winner with Liverpool in 1966 - could claim a similarly two-fold success.

He joined Latics in 1969 on a free transfer from Everton, but only played 25 games before retiring in 1970 to run an undertaker's business in Huddersfield.

My biggest disappointment over a player that nearly signed for us but didn't is, of course, the one and only............. Diego Cervero. :Spain:

Diego

Didn't Wilson have a short spell at Bradford City after Latics?