Hardest game on this run... Bradford

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First half I thought we played some fantastic football as we have been doing for the majority of the season second half Bradford stopped us from playing our game and tried to impose their game on us, which worked at times but we dug our heels in and got on with what we need to do to secure all three points and last season we probably would of slipped up come away with a point or less from that game.

:censored: me, when did we learn to play it out from the back?

It's unrecognisable from the team I saw 12 months ago. When we played the ball on the deck we looked leagues and leagues above them. The only threat they had were the big lumps up front!

£22 well spent, not because of the win, but because we look a very, very good passing outfit. Our short, tippy, tippy exchanges was completely alien compared to anything I've seen from an Oldham team.

Next home game on a Saturday I'll be the first one in the ground!

Welcome back!!!

I've been banging the drum in work to 2 lapsed fans (one was a ST holder only ten years ago) - and both went yesterday.

Text from one of them after the game? See you on the 4th for the Preston game. Nice.

Winning a few back now with this style and this set-up. Good times

Welcome back!!!

I've been banging the drum in work to 2 lapsed fans (one was a ST holder only ten years ago) - and both went yesterday.

Text from one of them after the game? See you on the 4th for the Preston game. Nice.

Winning a few back now with this style and this set-up. Good times

You might want to let your mate know the PNE game is on the 11th, we might have a FA cup home game before then, too.

Yesterday was the tougest test we've faced, and we stood up to it.

The 1st half, bar a disappointing 1minute for their unjust goal, saw us play some unreal stuff. We looked a threat everytime we broke, and we were untroubled and composed at the back* - some of the passing and moving; and the link up play was as good as i've seen Latics play in all my time of watching.

This formation is bringing the best out of the majority of the players, and the tactics now are suited to both home & away games; and sides don't look like they can live with us.

This diamond 4 in midfield has surprised me; i thought the standard 4 across the middle was working well; once Kelly & Jones had settled after initial wobbly starts; as Forte and Winchester were doing so well in the wide roles.

But - having Kelly sitting in the defensive role, with Jones and Winchester narrow ahead of him; and Philliskirk at the top - its bringing the best out of us as a side, and those 4 individually. It allows Mills & Kusunga (or B Wilson as was) to get forward too, with Jones & Winchester playing narrow.

Forte up front is doing just as well as he was wide Left, and now its the added bonus of him being able to run at CBs rsther than fullbacks, so his pace can fully be exploited. Jabo Ibhere has been a real welcome addition too; we didnt have anyone like him, and his hold-up play yesterday was top draw.

Bradford were exactly what i knew they'd be - minging.

But - they were a test. 1st half, they couldnt live with us; but - after they made the change defensively, they looked a better proposition, and playing their brand of direct football, they took the game to us and tested us.

Cudos to J Wilson and Timmy Dieng - for standing up to Hanson & Stead - they were a handful 2nd half, but those 2 weren't fazed & didnt let themselves get bullied. Mills and Kusunga also massively helped out with this, and i was really impressed with Mills especially winning so many headers against those 2 when he had to.

A cracking win. 2 very different 45mins performances; both impressive in their own ways. Another test passed.

I said if we could have taken 6 points from 9 on this mini run of 3 games in 7 days; it would be a statement of where we were right now and possibly a marker for where we're heading. The 7 point from 9 retun is class - and the signs are really impressive. I mean, its been ages since we were top 6. I had a few beers last night, thoroughly chuffed to mintballs with what i'd seen and where my side are right now, and giddily dreaming of where we might be heading.

Enjoying it while it lasts - after all, this is Oldham - who knows what's round the corner?

* bar their against the run of play goal obviously; poor marking and tracking for that was so out of character of what we'd seen. Shame; as it very nearly cost us.

Could have been disallowed actually for foot high maybe?

Several city fans were complaining that this should have been a free kick, I know where they are coming from but you don't want to penalise skill which forte obviously showed