Striker a priority

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This U-Turn in momentum occurred after the reported Ched Evans talks. Beat Dale on the Sat and the next day Oldham were making news with the interest in Evans. It affected the mood on here, could it have caused issues internally at the club?

Who knows, certainly seems as if something has gone on behind the scenes, maybe players unhappy with the dropping of Rachubka, maybe something deeper.

I can't see why adding another Striker (one we could afford) would help for this reason alone. Bring in another Byfield and we still won't score. Disastrous December.

The alternative is to carry on with a scarcity of goals and a freefall down the league, there's some good ones out there cheap, you just have to find them, other lower division clubs have, Akinde (20 goals for Barnet, albeit in the Conference) was going for peanuts last year.

The frustrating thing about Jabo is I see a good player in there, but he struggles to fit in with the way we play. Theres way too much sideways Football being played at the moment, too much panicing on the edge of the box and aimless crosses going in. Personally I think we need to play more direct, especially against sides like Crewe who put men behind the ball

We didn't get a goal from a striker but they sure had enough shots on target. Pity they were all bar one straight at the keeper.

Pointless thread as there will be no money. Lj is going to have to lose players and will only be able to swap for worse players than we already have.

We didn't get a goal from a striker but they sure had enough shots on target. Pity they were all bar one straight at the keeper.

Pointless thread as there will be no money. Lj is going to have to lose players and will only be able to swap for worse players than we already have.

LJ said in his interview this week players will definitely be brought in.

It's a shame we don't still have the receipt for Poleon...

You have to find them, that's what's scouts do, plenty out there in non league if given a chance, always has been and always will be. I might even put my old hat on an look for one. For example no club has given Reeves of Altrincham a chance..I bet any money he would have scored against Crewe today. Why sign a striker from Bolton who never makes the bench?.. that's plain ridiculous.

I've got a mutual friend with Reeves and he reckons he earns far more playing for Alty and working than he would playing full time. He nearly signed for Doncaster (I think) the other year but his wife/girlfriend suffered a miscarriage and he pied it off...

I think we need a clearance sale first as well as a review of loan players. I would most certainly be OK with Daniel Johnson going back as to be fair he hasn't done much apart from that first game.

Big Iby has done well, but isn't a scorer, however has a good understanding with Forte so could still be an asset to keep.

Winchester is always a useful player to have in the squad but that is all he is, a squad player.

Players to ship out for me either on loan or permanent are the likes of Dayton, Morgan Smith, Poleon, Tidser and Mellor.

The question is... who can we sign that are better than we already have, that is permanent signings, not loans?

Edited by Chris Richard

I actually think morgan-smith could be useful. Could easily do what jabo does for me....

I like jabo, he generally does provide a half decent hold up job but then he doesn't get in the box after laying off. I'm 50/50 with letting him go back in all honesty.

Polean...i think he needs a run before i can judge but not seen anything yet to say he's worth what we paid. Can't do any worse if we stick forte back on the left and him up top. Might see more from jones back in the middle.

Dayton can go for me. Glimpses of real quality but not enough glimpses. Too soft and not enough effort.

Tidser on his way. Said in another post he SHOULD have come in for the Yeovil game to keep our shape but instead was told he'd be gone. In that case, why play him yesterday?

Mellor...i do think there is a quality player there and someone somewhere will polish a rough diamond providing he has the desire to succeed. Don't think now that this will be us as too much time has passed. Best for him and us to see him walk through the exit door.

Winchester has to have a run in the middle or we may as well let him go..

Whys everyone obsessed with us holding it up it works okay away from home but is there a need at home, we currently have a squad of 20-odd where we cant even field a pair of strikers and a manager who seems reluctant to play any other way up front, Ibehre has had a couple of good games away from home but he isnt going to win us many, swap him for Ajose yesterday and we run out more than comfortable winners. I actually had a good chat with Ajose a couple of months ago at BP as he is good friends with Mike Jones, he said to me he would love to come to Oldham on loan as he thought he was the type of player we had been missing, after yesterday I tend to agree.

I think we need a clearance sale first as well as a review of loan players. I would most certainly be OK with Daniel Johnson going back as to be fair he hasn't done much apart from that first game.

Big Iby has done well, but isn't a scorer, however has a good understanding with Forte so could still be an asset to keep.

Winchester is always a useful player to have in the squad but that is all he is, a squad player.

Players to ship out for me either on loan or permanent are the likes of Dayton, Morgan Smith, Poleon, Tidser and Mellor.

The question is... who can we sign that are better than we already have, that is permanent signings, not loans?

Apart from the great pass to Forte for the goal vs Sheff U and the two goals vs Rochdale you mean?