Clean Sheets Record: 18 Lge, 1 Cup =19

With Conor Ripley in with a great chance of breaking the clena sheet record, here is the

Les Pogliacomi broke the clean sheets record, of 16 game, for Oldham on 18th March 2003 v Luton.

He went on to set a new record of 18 LEague games, and a total of 19 if you include the victory at West Ham in the League cup.

Here is his record that season:

Div 2.....Tu 13Aug 2002.....Peterborough..0 - 1.....Oldham...........1
Div 2.....Sa 17Aug 2002.....Brentford.........0 - 0.....Oldham...........2
Div 2.....Sa 24Aug 2002.....Oldham...........2 - 0.....Tranmere.........3
Div 2.....Mo 26Aug 2002.....Blackpool........0 - 0.....Oldham...........4
Div 2.....Tu 17Sep 2002.....Oldham............1 - 0.....Bristol C..........5
Div 2.....Sa 21Sep 2002.....Colchester.......0 - 1.....Oldham...........6
Div 2.....Sa 28Sep 2002.....Oldham..........4 - 0.....Huddersfield.....7
Div 2.....Sa 05Oct 2002.....Swindon.........0 - 1......Oldham............8
Div 2.....Tu 29Oct 2002.....Oldham..........4 - 0.....Northampton.....9
Div 2.....Sa 02Nov 2002.....Oldham...........2 - 0.....Stockport.......10
Lgu Cup...We 06Nov 2002.....West Ham......0 - 1....Oldham..... ....01
Div 2.....Sa 23Nov 2002.....Oldham...........0 - 0.....Cheltenham...11
Div 2.....Sa 21Dec 2002.....Chesterfield....0 - 1.....Oldham..........12
Div 2.....Sa 04Jan 2003.....Oldham...........0 - 0.....Peterborough.13
Div 2.....Sa 01Mar 2003.....Mansfield.......0 - 1.....Oldham...........14
Div 2.....Sa 08Mar 2003.....Oldham..........2 - 0.....Colchester.......15
Div 2.....Sa 15Mar 2003.....Oldham..........0 - 0.....QPR................16
Div 2.....Tu 18Mar 2003.....Luton..............0 - 0.....Oldham...........17
Div 2.....Sa 22Mar 2003.....Northampton...0 - 2.....Oldham...........18

Edited by singe

Time flies. What a season that was. I remember that early win at Peterborough with the on loan Lourenco involved and a Killen winner setting us on our way after the opening day defeat against Cardiff. Equally clear in my mind are the wins over Stockport (when Beckett hardly got a sniff all afternoon for them), West Ham (of course) and the win at Northampton (Waaaynoooo). But I have no memory whatsoever of ever beating Huddersfield 4-0 at home. I must have been absolutely bladdered.

Les made some fantastic saves in his time with us but his kicking was generally woeful. I used to dread him having the ball at his feet. In fairness he clearly worked very hard on it and beat himself up as much as the Chaddy End did when he messed up, but I suspect it held his career back a bit.

Time flies. What a season that was. I remember that early win at Peterborough with the on loan Lourenco involved and a Killen winner setting us on our way after the opening day defeat against Cardiff. Equally clear in my mind are the wins over Stockport (when Beckett hardly got a sniff all afternoon for them), West Ham (of course) and the win at Northampton (Waaaynoooo). But I have no memory whatsoever of ever beating Huddersfield 4-0 at home. I must have been absolutely bladdered.

Les made some fantastic saves in his time with us but his kicking was generally woeful. I used to dread him having the ball at his feet. In fairness he clearly worked very hard on it and beat himself up as much as the Chaddy End did when he messed up, but I suspect it held his career back a bit.

Wijnhard scored after about 15 seconds and Laurenco scored an overhead kick in front of the Chaddy...

Wijnhard scored after about 15 seconds and Laurenco scored an overhead kick in front of the Chaddy...

I love it when we score a really early goal, after a minute or so. We usually go on to win comfortably when that happens. Weirdly out of all the matches that season I recall the Huddersfield one right up there. It was a really classy, clinical performance fairly early in the season and showed we meant business. But overall it was our home record which prevented us going straight up. We lost and drew some terrible matches that season given the calibre of personnel on show.

Liverpool conceded 16 goals one 42 game season. Ray Clemence in goal. 28 clean sheets.

In the 1970/71 season Clemence only conceded 22 goals in 41 First Division matches, a record which was surpassed in 1978/79 when just 16 goals were conceded, with Clemence an ever-present for the sixth time. It was no coincidence Liverpool were the best team, they had the best defence: Clemence, Neal, Kennedy, Thompson and Hansen. Clemence kept 28 clean sheets and only conceded four goals at Anfield in 21 games!

Edited by opinions4u

I love it when we score a really early goal, after a minute or so. We usually go on to win comfortably when that happens.

Agreed, though wasn't that the same year we scored after a few seconds at Wigan and hardly touched the ball for the remaining 89 minutes?

And thanks for the reminder JSS - I had remembered Cylde's early goal but somehow thought that had been part of a 1-0 against them so presumed it was a different match/season/competition. Crap memory!

Edited by lalalajpkalala

Our current tally of eight scoreless League game draws must be some kind of record, I have read somewhere that Villa and Sunderland hold the record for nine in one season so there is a strong possibility that we may go on to break the record.

Didn't we have the longest without a nil nil not long ago?

He did ok to say he sent a video tape of his goalkeeping into the club to get a contract, assuming that's true?

LP has long been one if not my favourite keepers at Latics but I'll never forget him having a truly awful game at ISZ and getting subbed!

Even with his guaranteed departure at the end of the season, I think CR will always be one of the best, and should rightly be appreciated if and when he plays against us in the future.

• 1 month later...