League One next season

19 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

So the final place for next season will be Exeter or Blackpool.

It's fairly obvious given where I live which one I'd prefer (I'll be in the Exeter end on Sunday), but what would everyone else prefer?  Exeter's rubbish away end but a decent crowd in the ground, or a local away game (and likely a good away following) but in a sparsely populated stadium?

Blackpool for me. Only 20 minutes away and few mates who support them

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

So the final place for next season will be Exeter or Blackpool.

It's fairly obvious given where I live which one I'd prefer (I'll be in the Exeter end on Sunday), but what would everyone else prefer?  Exeter's rubbish away end but a decent crowd in the ground, or a local away game (and likely a good away following) but in a sparsely populated stadium?

Obviously, it has to be Exeter for me. Usually a good crowd there and a real old fashioned ground. Blackpool, even if I made it up there, would have little or no atmosphere.

It would be Blackpool for me, only 15 min away or an hour on foot, but with Not a Penny More campaign against the owners, we have a real chance of outnumbering home fans, though they do give away lots of free tickets to local schools. 

20 hours ago, Fyldelatic said:

It would be Blackpool for me, only 15 min away or an hour on foot, but with Not a Penny More campaign against the owners, we have a real chance of outnumbering home fans, though they do give away lots of free tickets to local schools. 

There's no doubt we will do. We took 1100 last season on a Tuesday night and it felt like we outnumbered them.

However they announce attendance figures that look nowhere near the actual crowd.

6 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

There's no doubt we will do. We took 1100 last season on a Tuesday night and it felt like we outnumbered them.

However they announce attendance figures that look nowhere near the actual crowd.

They added their season ticket sales to the number through the turnstiles despite many of their ST holders boycotting home games.

This season the attendance figure (averaging around 2,000 home fans) is more realistic, as many just didn't bother with season ticket. Three seasons ago, the club did a two-year deal for £100 more or something, and many did buy into it and simply didn't bother to use it in Year 2. 

I have to admit that I am really confused by their boycott. I understand they want Oyston out and can see why they boycott home games but I see no benefit in boycotting away games. It would surely send a bigger message to have Bloomfield Rd empty every home game and a full away end each time they travel. It strikes me that they have 'just stopped going.

Oyston's attitude is disgraceful but they are probably back at their natural level now. They are a similar sized club to us in my opinion. I know they have a more illustrious history but I don't see them having that much more potential than us, other than having better facilities (thanks to the Oystons). 

It is also worth saying that had they actually been going to matches this season and supporting the team, they would have had a season to remember like we haven't had in twenty odd years.

1 hour ago, Latics and England said:

I know they have a more illustrious history but I don't see them having that much more potential than us, other than having better facilities (thanks to the Oystons). 

Think you will find much of the ground improvements were down to Valeri Belokon the Oystons have spent very little on the new look Bloomfield Road.

Edited by yarddog73

4 hours ago, Latics and England said:

I have to admit that I am really confused by their boycott. I understand they want Oyston out and can see why they boycott home games but I see no benefit in boycotting away games. It would surely send a bigger message to have Bloomfield Rd empty every home game and a full away end each time they travel. It strikes me that they have 'just stopped going.

Oyston's attitude is disgraceful but they are probably back at their natural level now. They are a similar sized club to us in my opinion. I know they have a more illustrious history but I don't see them having that much more potential than us, other than having better facilities (thanks to the Oystons). 

It is also worth saying that had they actually been going to matches this season and supporting the team, they would have had a season to remember like we haven't had in twenty odd years.

Seems odd (especially to us) that they're boycotting an owner who's just got them promoted. I know the reasons but success on the field is the be all & end all for most football fans. 

I think many of the boycotters were boycotting in a different way prior to their Premier League sojourn too...

7 hours ago, Latics and England said:

After a good day out in the Bull in poulton watching the game......talking to a few blackpool fans and they didn't go because oyston would get a cut of the gate reciepts from todays game

10 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

Seems odd (especially to us) that they're boycotting an owner who's just got them promoted. I know the reasons but success on the field is the be all & end all for most football fans. 

I think many of the boycotters were boycotting in a different way prior to their Premier League sojourn too...

Don't forget they fell out of the Premier league and suffered 3 relegations in the space of 5 years while the owner paid himself out a £47 million dividend from the club.

Getting promotion from the 4th tier via the play offs only papers over the cracks. I can't see why people don't understand their reasons for protesting. Unless people don't understand what's gone on et the club.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Living and working in Blackpool, the toxic atmosphere surrounding the club is all too obvious. There are loads of ex-fans who wouldn't go anywhere near Bloomers until the Oystons leave. The team's on-field success this season is more to do with their manager who is an experienced campaigner and got them to play the way he likes (like Shez) rather than any effort by the owners. And the war of attrition between owners and the fans has gone on too much, goading the fans with numberplates on Karl's car (OY5OUT), getting a photo taken with protester's banner 'Oyston's Cashcow' and taking fans to court for defamation and libel - the list goes on. Fan's protest is water off a duck's back, they say they will never sell up while syphoning club's funds to prop up their other failing businesses. 

Personally it doesn't bother me whether we play them or not, but with Cods staying down, having two away ties within minutes of home is convenient.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm starting to think Bradford might struggle next season. Their German owners have apparently cut the playing budget quite a bit and they've lost a few of their better players from last season.

Rory McArdle signed for Scunthorpe yeterday. Mark Marshall and Billy Clarke have left for Charlton and James Meredith has gone to Millwall.

I guess a lot depends on who they replace them with, but the fact that they all turned down new deals must be worrying for them.

1 hour ago, bozman said:

I'm starting to think Bradford might struggle next season. Their German owners have apparently cut the playing budget quite a bit and they've lost a few of their better players from last season.

Rory McArdle signed for Scunthorpe yeterday. Mark Marshall and Billy Clarke have left for Charlton and James Meredith has gone to Millwall.

I guess a lot depends on who they replace them with, but the fact that they all turned down new deals must be worrying for them.

Get Dieng back....