Latics V Southend

Posted 6 minutes ago

If ever there has been a must win at latics in recent years its this game. not since we were in the play off semi's have latics had a more important game. Both teams are playing well and drew the first match at southend. the winners of course will play liverpool at anfield early january.

A few selection conundrums for us to guess at, Robbie Simpson has returned (hopefully temporarily) to Huddersfield, and There are a few options to replace him. Taylor should be back in contention, as will matt smith and morais. all will be hoping for a recall, but if dickov decides to rejig things, he has a fist full of other tactical switches he could make.

At the back, Mvoto is out and should be a straight swap for Clarke, who returns from Suspension.

In Midfield Weslowski also returns from suspension, but as I said Dickov has many options available to him in this area, and it could go any number of ways.

personally, I'd go :

Cizak

Lee Clarke Diamond Black

Scupuzzi Weslowski Furman Parker

Adeyeme

Kuqi

Subs: Taylor Morais Smith Bouzanis Tarkowski

There are that many options available, it really could be anything, but i recon thats the best available. any variation would probably see taylor/morais/smith coming in for adeyeme, but he should keep his place.

Latics 2-0

Edited by philliggi

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Taylor's fit he plays for me. Since he went off injured at Bournemouth the goals have dried up a bit, 3 in 4 games. With Simpson now not being an option, Taylor whilst not being at his best this season worries teams and doubling up on him could give Scapuzzi or Parker the space they need to create the chances to send us to Anfield. Morais still a benchwarmer imo, despite his encouraging cameo yesterday - two crosses don't warrant a starting spot. However if Taylor is not fit then it is a choice between Adeyemi and Morais. And I think Dickov may go for the latter, only using Fil if we really need him..

Cisak

Lee

Diamond

Clarke

Black

Parker

Furman

Wesolowski

Scapuzzi

Taylor

Kuqi

he also said that the liverpool game would only bring in 150k - this is complete rubbish and a good PR ploy to not heap high pressure on the team in saying 'we must win this game as it's gonna bring in 500k'

the game at Anfield would probably give us 400-600k alone, plus wembley which would be another 300k at a guess.

Not wiping the losses out completely I would imagine, but not far off and 10k is better than nowt at the end of the day.

Edited by shefflatic

Didn't Corney say in the chron apparently if we win the southend tie, and get to wembley, it would bring in 600k, which would probably only cover half of the shortfall???

It depends on the prices set by Liverpool but the game WILL be a sell-out at Anfield. Anyhow the coffers will have been boosted by upwards of 5,000 paying punters yesterday, even accounting for kids in that lot thats about £80k + then add in other matchday sales. sold out hospitality, pies, programmes, beer etc…. so apart from the result yesterday it was a pretty good do in terms of income. Turnover is different to the take home profit, but it does all look healthy on the balance sheet.

What does worry me, is that if we lose on Tuesday night, I've had a look at the fixture list and we've already had all our 'big' home attendances with only Preston now to play (Tranmere too but I expect the usual poor turn out from them) at BP that are likely to bring a sizeable following. Charlton have to come too but given the distance and its their third season down here we can't count on them either. So its important that the JPT final home leg, that the prices are sensible - maximise the revenue but don't alienate people. So a win on Tuesday night is massive, if we are to offset some of those likely poor away followings in the second half of the season. Win Tuesday and there may be less pressure to sell one or two of our young stars, lose and it will be a given unfortunately that on or two of Taylor, Lee, Furman et al are offski come January...

Edited by oafcprozac

And more importantly if we dont get to Anfield and Wembley how are we covering that loss?

I was going to say that, whilst trying not to come across as being too negative, how is the club covering that loss, and given Simon Blitz is no longer bankrolling the clubm how much longer are these kind of losses sustainable

Whilst I dont know the full facts, a shortfall in excess of £1,000,000 given that the wage budget was dramatically slashed in 2010/2011, and again in 2011/2012, does seem on the hefty side, and is not one I could see being eliminated even if their was a significant increase in attendances??

And more importantly if we dont get to Anfield and Wembley how are we covering that loss?

Win promotion!

Line-up for Tuesday:

Cisak

Black

Diamond

Tarky

Lee

Adeyemi

Wes

Furman

Parker

Taylor

Shefqi

Scappuzi to come off the bench if it's not working. Think we'll need more grit than flair on Tuesday.

Win promotion!

Line-up for Tuesday:

Cisak

Black

Diamond

Tarky

Lee

Adeyemi

Wes

Furman

Parker

Taylor

Shefqi

Scappuzi to come off the bench if it's not working. Think we'll need more grit than flair on Tuesday.

Tarky played well on Sat'dy but you would drop Clarke for him in such an important game :shock:

he also said that the liverpool game would only bring in 150k - this is complete rubbish and a good PR ploy to not heap high pressure on the team in saying 'we must win this game as it's gonna bring in 500k'

the game at Anfield would probably give us 400-B600k alone, plus wembley which would be another 300k at a guess.

Not wiping the losses out completely I would imagine, but not far off and 10k is better than nowt at the end of the day.

It depends on the prices set by Liverpool but the game WILL be a sell-out at Anfield. Anyhow the coffers will have been boosted by upwards of 5,000 paying punters yesterday, even accounting for kids in that lot thats about £80k + then add in other matchday sales. sold out hospitality, pies, programmes, beer etc…. so apart from the result yesterday it was a pretty good do in terms of income. Turnover is different to the take home profit, but it does all look healthy on the balance sheet.

What does worry me, is that if we lose on Tuesday night, I've had a look at the fixture list and we've already had all our 'big' home attendances with only Preston now to play (Tranmere too but I expect the usual poor turn out from them) at BP that are likely to bring a sizeable following. Charlton have to come too but given the distance and its their third season down here we can't count on them either. So its important that the JPT final home leg, that the prices are sensible - maximise the revenue but don't alienate people. So a win on Tuesday night is massive, if we are to offset some of those likely poor away followings in the second half of the season. Win Tuesday and there may be less pressure to sell one or two of our young stars, lose and it will be a given unfortunately that on or two of Taylor, Lee, Furman et al are offski come January...

Don't think we will have to sell one of Taylor, Lee, Furman. If it come's to it, then I think it's far more likely we'll see Mellor leave, already rejected a bid from Fulham, and they'll be back in for him in January most likely.

I don't know where you're figures come from but I reckon £600K from the Liverpool game is way off the mark!!! A 40000 crowd at anfied is a little optimistic........@ £25 a ticket that would gross 1m. Take off match day costs and policing a three way split with the FA would give us about 1/4m. I think a crowd of 30000+ would be nearer the mark which would maybe net us about £200K tops!

I've never heard of the FA taking a cut of the gate receipts for the FA Cup. Can anybody provide a link verifying that it happens?

10% of net gate receipts go into a pool that is divided between all competing clubs at the end of the competition and the other 90% is divided equally between the 2 clubs.

On replays - 5% goes to the FA , 10% goes into the pool and the balances is divided equally between the clubs - 42.5% each.

10% of net gate receipts go into a pool that is divided between all competing clubs at the end of the competition and the other 90% is divided equally between the 2 clubs.

On replays - 5% goes to the FA , 10% goes into the pool and the balances is divided equally between the clubs - 42.5% each.

And as you have correctly pointed out, these are net figures. No one seems to have mentioned that 20% VAT has to be paid to the taxman.

the game at Anfield would probably give us 400-600k alone, plus wembley which would be another 300k at a guess.

No it wont if we are getting an equal split of the revenue which means we are goint to have to pay for an equal split of the matchday costs of Anfield where their will be 10 times the crowd that their would be for your average game at Boundary park are the stewards, turnstile operators, programme sellers, bar staff, and Police all going to work for free? Then theres the other overheads and the tax mans cut it will eat away it will be a profitable day for the club but not as much as your making out.

if it really was only 200k that would mean the net receipts being 444k (45% each and 10% into some shared pot for everyone).Picking an attendance out of the air - 40000 - then that would mean only £11.1 being made per spectator. I think an estimate of 30k would be very pessimistic indeed but that would mean £14.80

The last time they played someone as lowly as us or Southend in the FA Cup 3rd Round was in 2008 against Luton. A midweek replay that pulled in over 41000 fans - checking the press of the time it is said that Luton picked up 500K.

So...if Luton could pick up 500k three years ago is the crowd going to be 30% of what it was for Liverpool-Luton, are the ticket prices going to be 30% of those in 2008?

Googling around for other clubs getting FA Cup paydays and Burton made (disregarding the home game and the sky money) £600k ticket money from a 53,564 at Old Trafford back in 2006.

Again in 2006 Colchester at Chelsea. Chelsea had 'significantly' lower ticket prices than normal - sorry, no idea what - and Colchester still made 400k (not including the tv money)

2005 - Exeter at Man United - £653,511 for Exeter from a gate of 67,551

All those figures are purely gate receipts, no tv money included.

IF we do beat Southend and IF the tickets arent a tenner a go and IF the crowd is approaching 40000 and IF the club still claim they only got 200k I'm going to ring the fraud squad

if it really was only 200k that would mean the net receipts being 444k (45% each and 10% into some shared pot for everyone).Picking an attendance out of the air - 40000 - then that would mean only £11.1 being made per spectator. I think an estimate of 30k would be very pessimistic indeed but that would mean £14.80

The last time they played someone as lowly as us or Southend in the FA Cup 3rd Round was in 2008 against Luton. A midweek replay that pulled in over 41000 fans - checking the press of the time it is said that Luton picked up 500K.

So...if Luton could pick up 500k three years ago is the crowd going to be 30% of what it was for Liverpool-Luton, are the ticket prices going to be 30% of those in 2008?

Googling around for other clubs getting FA Cup paydays and Burton made (disregarding the home game and the sky money) £600k ticket money from a 53,564 at Old Trafford back in 2006.

Again in 2006 Colchester at Chelsea. Chelsea had 'significantly' lower ticket prices than normal - sorry, no idea what - and Colchester still made 400k (not including the tv money)

2005 - Exeter at Man United - £653,511 for Exeter from a gate of 67,551

All those figures are purely gate receipts, no tv money included.

IF we do beat Southend and IF the tickets arent a tenner a go and IF the crowd is approaching 40000 and IF the club still claim they only got 200k I'm going to ring the fraud squad

Again do they give you a full break down of the costs incurred for the day? Its alright saying they make these figure for the revenue how much do they make in Net profit from the day? Becasue thats what Simon Corney will have been talking about when he says we made £140k from the Everton game.