Hillsborough

Scraton came across unbelievably well in the BBC documentary this week, which is tough viewing but a must watch on iPlayer if anybody missed it.

ESPN, not BBC.

Its actually a couple of years old, was shown in the US just as the inquests started, but wasn't allowed to be shown over here until the inquests had ended. They updated it to show the inquest verdicts.

They also edited some of the visuals from what was shown when it aired in America, which was for the best i think.

A tremendous piece of TV, but very distressing.

They also edited some of the visuals from what was shown when it aired in America, which was for the best i think.

Yeah I commented while watching it on the fact that they blurred the more graphic close ups on the crowd. Those pictures were plastered all over the papers unaltered at the time. The S*n aside,the press coverage of Hillsborough really was awful in general.

ESPN, not BBC.

Its actually a couple of years old, was shown in the US just as the inquests started, but wasn't allowed to be shown over here until the inquests had ended. They updated it to show the inquest verdicts.

Cheers, didn't know that (obviously).

• 6 months later...

ITV at 10:40pm tonight 'Exposure' programme on Hillsbrough: Smears, Survivors & the Search for Truth. A preview earlier today showed Ray Lewis, the ref in the Forest v Liverpool semi-final, claiming his statement was changed to support allegations fans were drunk. His statement that the fans were mixed outside pubs on his way to Hillsbrough was changed to pissed.

The South Yorkshire and West Midlands Police Forces need to be brought to account.

I understand the point but it is 28 years ago,....Latics were not even in this division....and I think there becomes a point at which it becomes counter productive and entrenches opinions and prejudices.

I understand the point but it is 28 years ago,....Latics were not even in this division....and I think there becomes a point at which it becomes counter productive and entrenches opinions and prejudices.

Can you imagine how many innocent people the bastards at the top of this will have screwed over through a long career? I can't imagine why anyone would want to leave them to enjoy a £50,000 pension until the end of their days.

When so many lies have been told over so many years its very much worth ensuring, now the truth is fully known, that the truth is hammered home. If incorrect opinions and prejudices are still entrenched then that only reinforces my point.

Is it not time to draw a line under it

Absolutely not.

The biggest cover up by the authorities I can think of in my lifetime.

Keep picking at it. See what else it throws out.

It's probably more important to get those involved in the cover up before the courts rather than getting one bloke on a manslaughter charge.

If causing deaths and covering them up should be rewarded with a job for life and a pension on top, then you might as well close the prisons.

People go to prison for far lesser crimes, being better at covering it up is not a reason to let this lot off.

If causing deaths and covering them up should be rewarded with a job for life and a pension on top, then you might as well close the prisons.

People go to prison for far lesser crimes, being better at covering it up is not a reason to let this lot off.

I don't disagree but I very much doubt that you will get a conviction. The inquest jury was not even unanimous.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

29 years ago we set off for Hillsborough- little did we know was going to happen - thoughts are with those who lost loved ones who were unlawfully killed & the survivors who live with that day forever -2 years on from the inquests & still no one has been held accountable #JFT96

• 2 months later...

A judge has ruled that David Duckenfield, the match commander, will face trial for the manslaughter by gross negligence of 95 football supporters.

Also to face trial are:

Former Sheffield Wednesday club secretary Graham Mackrell charged with health and safety, and safety at sports grounds offences;

Former solicitor Peter Metcalf and former police officers Donald Denton and Alan Foster charged with perverting the course of justice.

A hearing to determine whether former Chief Constable Sir Norman Bettison will be tried has been adjourned until August.

• 9 months later...

Interesting thread. There is little doubt that the police, by and large, still treat football fans (particularly large away followings) in an appalling way.

I`ve not got a particular problem with them targetting the trouble causers in an aggressive way but they just seem to have a real attitude problem with all travelling fans at a big away day. It's an institutional problem that needs sorting.

• Like 1

The cases against Donald Denton, former South Yorkshire police chief superintendent, his then deputy, former Chief Inspector Alan Foster, and the then South Yorkshire police force solicitor, Peter Metcalf (all charged with undertaking acts with intent to pervert the course of justice relating to Hillsborough), are due to be heard in September.

• Like 1

Dear all

The Trust have been contacted this week by the group who did the Hillsborough walk a couple of seasons ago. When the trust worked with the club to open up the RRE on a December evening and I put the Chaddy suit on. The Liverpool fans we met that night made friendships that lasted beyond us whooping their arses in the FA cup...hahah

Since then, the group have morphed into doing charity work, visiting footy grounds along the way and they will be visiting BP on Good Friday evening as they go onto Manchester City in a few weeks time. I have referred the walkers onto the club so I hope we can do something. In the meantime. Please find below the charities and route they are planning to do. if you see them along the way give them some support 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2238519616469665/

• Like 1