Peterborough number 11

21 minutes ago, OldHallam said:

This worth a look as I agree with you but its far from clear instructions to the dopes in charge of games. LAWS OF GAME 17-18

The laws seem clear to me:

"Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offending player is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.) the offending player must be sent off."

Wilson did not (unfortunately) attempt to play the ball and therefore was correctly dismissed. 

One game ban as it was not violent or reckless conduct.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

If you look at the picture Dan has posted, see Maddison's body position, it's totally unnatural.  It would have been totally unnexpected that he would do that, Wilson's arms would have come up instinctively.  Not trying to excuse him here, I just think that's what anyone would do if someone jumped in front of you like that.  Once there's a touch, Maddison plants his feet together too, again it's in that picture, which again, is totally unnatural.  It's a dive.  Just because Wilson touched him on the back it doesn't mean he shoved him to the floor.  It's a contact sport.  Again, the debate for me is whether we appeal his red card, and I think we should do based on all this.

Sadly I fear there is no point appealing the decision as despite evidence to the contrary, the FA won't go against their referees where it's marginal/borderline. The attacker didn't dive as such, he simply stepped across the defender and allowed their momentum to take him down. 

Whilst morally we probably should appeal, realistically there's no probably no point. 

3 minutes ago, danoafc said:

Sadly I fear there is no point appealing the decision as despite evidence to the contrary, the FA won't go against their referees where it's marginal/borderline. The attacker didn't dive as such, he simply stepped across the defender and allowed their momentum to take him down. 

Whilst morally we probably should appeal, realistically there's no probably no point. 

I disagree on what he did - I think he did dive as he didn't cut across in a normal way and get clipped, he jumped and stopped deliberately. Then actually dived forward once touched.

But you're probably right about the appeal.  Which says more about the appeals process than it does about any grounds for appeal in my opinion!

24 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Out of interest have you ever played football?

Yes thanks.

Seems to be a lot of folk on here who just can't accept that what Maddison did is legal, part of the game and Wilson shoved him. I'll grant there's a slight debate on if it's in or out the box. The ball is certainly in the box. He arguably isn't. There will be no appeal though. Rightly so.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Just now, boundaryblue80 said:

Yes thanks.

Well you would be well aware that Maddison was trying his best to buy, cheat, con his team the sending off and penalty then, Wilson couldn't physically do anything to prevent that penalty, if someone runs at speed in front of you and plants themselves your natural reaction is to throw your hands up to avoid a collision,  at no point has Wilson purposely gone to shove the lad or showed any intent, it was orchestrated 100% by Maddison and the ref has fallen for it.

8 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Yes thanks.

Seems to be a lot of folk on here who just can't accept that what Maddison did is legal, part of the game and Wilson shoved him. I'll grant there's a slight debate on if it's in or out the box. The ball is certainly in the box. He arguably isn't. There will be no appeal though. Rightly so.

Nobody has questioned the legality,  it's just not in the spirit of the game and needs eradicating - just my view of course.

19 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Yes thanks.

It doesn't matter a jot where the ball is, the initial 'offence' takes place outside of the box, no debate, it's right there in front of your eyes. Wilson's arms come as the lad steps across him. If it 'was' a foul it should have been a free kick on the edge of the box, but the red card is laughable! 

2 minutes ago, danoafc said:

It doesn't matter a jot where the ball is, the initial 'offence' takes place outside of the box, no debate, it's right there in front of your eyes. Wilson's arms come as the lad steps across him. If it 'was' a foul it should have been a free kick on the edge of the box, but the red card is laughable! 

Based on the still, the correct decision would appear to be free kick and red card.

6 minutes ago, opinions4u said:

Based on the still, the correct decision would appear to be free kick and red card.

The still is to simply highlight where the infringement took place. To make a call on the red card decision you need to have seen the build up to the infringement itself and decide whether there was intent and on whose part. 

The still shows the initial contact is outside the area, so it shouldn't have been a penalty, but it does show that Wilson is the last man so I don't think there is much of a case for an appeal. Maddison made a decision; should I carry on and try to score? or should I try and manufacture a penalty, get the lad sent off and use the advantage in numbers to our advantage? In today's game, players, IMHO, are much more cynical and he chose the second option. I cannot really blame the ref for the red card, or the penalty, because the linesman was no help to him.

We got away with at least one stonewall penalty decision, maybe the ref had been told about the first one, who knows, but we won anyway. If blame goes anywhere it should be to Doyle for that horrendous pass that put Wilson on the spot, and I think it was another poor pass from him that led to the corner from which they scored, but I'll forgive him 'cos he scored twice.

+++UPDATE+++

On the 'stonewall' penalty, I've just seen Grant McCann's interview on their website and he was asked should Peterborough have been awarded another penalty, he said "No, I've seen the replay and he lost his footing".

Edited by Damian_Thorn

1 hour ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Yes thanks.

Just because it's legal, doesn't mean it's ok, you do realise that the FA are a joke and the rules aren't even clear to the referees half the time. You sound like you praise diving and those who try to con the ref. It's a cancer that is ruining the sport and the sooner they start handing retrospective bans for theatrics/diving after incidents like maddisons, the better.

30 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

I don't condone diving just as much as I don't condone pushing a player in the back

There’s a big difference between pushing somebody in the back, and putting your hands up to protect yourself as you’re crashing in to somebody who has very suddenly stopped.

2 minutes ago, dec666 said:

There’s a big difference between pushing somebody in the back, and putting your hands up to protect yourself as you’re crashing in to somebody who has very suddenly stopped.

Which it wasn't. Clearly pushes his arms forward

Bored with this now :sleeping:

Edited by boundaryblue80