Promotion & Relegation since 1991

13 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Can’t wait till we bottom out in the 10th tier.... then what ? Totally pointless I may as well start supporting chadderton now and save myself the money and heart ache

We are in the eye of a storm and it’s not

great. I tend to take a pragmatic stance and would like to think that some good might come out of this situation in the long term, as is often the case.

Naive? Maybe, but we have to try and build from where we are. It wouldn’t take much to get us out of league 2, and how good would that feel? Getting that winning feeling back and fans would

return. Not sure how I would cope. 

4 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

One can only conclude relegation is a bad thing with hindsight? Really? Tell me one occasion relegation was anything but a bad thing for anyone?

Hull, Swansea, Rotherham, Brighton, Doncaster, Bournemouth may not be where there are now had they not nearly gone to the wall. It resulted in a root and branch restructure of those clubs with Local Authorities stepping in to support in some cases.

necessity is the mother of invention and sometimes you need a full blown crisis for change to happen.

please don’t read that as a suggestion than relegation is a good thing. It’s not. It can be the catalyst though.

as I say, I take the view that some good

might come out of all this in the long run.

it also might not.

as such I don’t believe relegation is always an unequivocally bad thing. Doesn’t mean you wish for it. 

2 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

One can only conclude relegation is a bad thing with hindsight? Really? Tell me one occasion relegation was anything but a bad thing for anyone?

I'm wondering if he thinks scoring more goals than the opposition is over rated too....

• Like 2

Fascinating table and insight in into our demise but in stark contrast to the previous 28yrs. 

4 promotions

1 relegation 

But what a fantastic experience those 28 years were for the Town of Chimneys. Wembley visits, Champions of the ‘Championship’ and founder members of the Premiership.

How many of our peers ‘size wise’ can compare with that experience?

Talk about swings and roundabouts. 

Those that missed it all have the next 28yrs to look forward to, because we’re back where it all started. 😊

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, LaticMark said:

A reminder for the old farts like me!!

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2017/may/11052017-otd/

The celebrations in the Clayton Arms:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkYHqzoApNU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iop8zBKFKD4

Edited by Diego_Sideburns
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, latics22 said:

I literally have no happy days ! It’s shite!

It might be at the minute, but us that remember hang on to the "good old days" - when we can .

I know you youngsters don't like it, but before anyone starts moaning that we're harking back to the "old days" - we had to wait a long time for them to come around back then as well. It's only happened in one period of my 45 yrs supporting Latics I'm afraid :( - so we make the most of it  when the "anniversary " comes around again.

I live in hope in hope that it'll come round again before I pop me clogs - but I'm not holding my breath!

But it's Latics - and anything can happen 😀

The worst thins is I missed it by like two or three years! Worse than that, back then it could be done . Oldham could compete with Man City , Leeds, now we can’t compete with fucking Salford. I won’t tjrow the towel in, I won’t become a city fan. But that’s the sad reality, I will hang in there For a promotion. Or England winning something , even tho the reason oldham will never rise, is the same reason England will never win anything ! We need the premier money to run out, run dry and reset button needs to be pressed!

Just now, latics22 said:

The worst thins is I missed it by like two or three years! Worse than that, back then it could be done . Oldham could compete with Man City , Leeds, now we can’t compete with fucking Salford. I won’t tjrow the towel in, I won’t become a city fan. But that’s the sad reality, I will hang in there For a promotion. Or England winning something , even tho the reason oldham will never rise, is the same reason England will never win anything ! We need the premier money to run out, run dry and reset button needs to be pressed!

I know it's hard going.

But like I said at the end of last season after relegation - Latics are in my blood. Dad gave me that, and I'd still rather have this for all it's troubles than be City or United.

When it's going well - it's out of this world - think Fulham this year. Then it's followed by Doncaster away where the ref cost us about £750k, and who knows what in broken dreams.

Then the play-offs were possibilities again with our own Pete Wild (another local hero)

But...… every once in a while - it's Neil Redfearn 92nd minute penalty - - and I still cant watch that without filling up  - even at the age of 52!

Hang in there 22 - we will come good again one day!   

That's why we're all still here 😀

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, staffordlatic said:

I know it's hard going.

But like I said at the end of last season after relegation - Latics are in my blood. Dad gave me that, and I'd still rather have this for all it's troubles than be City or United.

When it's going well - it's out of this world - think Fulham this year. Then it's followed by Doncaster away where the ref cost us about £750k, and who knows what in broken dreams.

Then the play-offs were possibilities again with our own Pete Wild (another local hero)

But...… every once in a while - it's Neil Redfearn 92nd minute penalty - - and I still cant watch that without filling up  - even at the age of 52!

Hang in there 22 - we will come good again one day!   

That's why we're all still here 😀

Thank you!and I’ll never give up staff !

• Like 1