Clarke still on?

I think you may be thinking of Beckett re the fee in advance

Yep, that was the one - Luke Beckett.

It was the supposedly the Luke Beckett deal in the summer of '05, we then changed manager and Shez wasn't interested and our first optionon him was allowed to lapse.

Luke Beckett. As you say it proved meaningless as he was under no obligation himself, the deal was only between us and Shef Utd.

Yep, that was the one - Beckett.

I think that was Luke Beckett that we did that with.

Yep, that was the one - Luke.

:grin:

but they have to be better than we already have and there's no point bringing in players just for the sake of it!!

We heard this last season while the likes of Beckford and a few others who would've helped was being loaned out. Maybe the question is about spotting the talent. Maybe it's there, but Shez can't see it. So we get that line.....time to gamble. If it doesn't work, at least we've tried. Than watch the season dissipate into nothing! But there is time....I'm not expecting it to happen here and now, but be extremely annoyed if it doesn't in the next 13 days. You'll have to roll the dice Shez before the deadline, if your current targets stay out of reach.

Yep, that was the one - Beckett.

Yep, that was the one - Luke.

:grin:

the 7k wages might have been for keigan parker,i know he got a nice wage rise for shooting them into the championship last season,and it has been mentioned before in a few places we were asking about him.

at the end of the day we may or may not sign anybody in this window.

if the manager doesnt think he can get anything better out there than we already have,he wont sign them.

thing is though if we dont sign anybody...will we still achieve a play off place with the current squad.

the 7k wages might have been for keigan parker,i know he got a nice wage rise for shooting them into the championship last season,and it has been mentioned before in a few places we were asking about him.

at the end of the day we may or may not sign anybody in this window.

if the manager doesnt think he can get anything better out there than we already have,he wont sign them.

thing is though if we dont sign anybody...will we still achieve a play off place with the current squad.

Can we still sign loanees after the window closes?

Yep. We did with Clarke last season. I think it's until the end of Feb that you can get loanees, coz we apparently waited so long last season so they'd be here for 3mths, covering the playoffs.

Yeah, planning for the Play Offs, when auto should have been at the fore front of our minds, well it was with the fans anyway. As i say, small-time thinking will reap big time failure. 2nd place was there for the taking yet we limped into the play offs and lets face it were well-beaten by a side that gambled in the transfer market throghout the season and had a storming second-half of the season. Lessons to be learned, will they be though????

I see Gillingham have signed on a permanent basis another from non League..striker Denis Oli from Grays Athletic.

I've seen him this season, he's big and quick, a real handful for defences - so watch out on Tuesday Latics.

A very good capture IMO..and he won't be on £7,000 a week.

I see Gillingham have signed on a permanent basis another from non League..striker Denis Oli from Grays Athletic.

I've seen him this season, he's big and quick, a real handful for defences - so watch out on Tuesday Latics.

A very good capture IMO..and he won't be on £7,000 a week.

Used to play for QPR I think and didn't rip up any trees there! Actually part way through this post checked on Soccerbase and he did play for QPR, and scored 12 in 73 for Grays, pretty much a Southern Softie that's played all his career in the South East and tbh I think....nay know, we should be able to do better. What I do agree with though is that we should take greater notice of the non-league. Chasetown and H & W are testament to that as are Andrews and Hall who have had decent careers since leaving us.

Used to play for QPR I think and didn't rip up any trees there! Actually part way through this post checked on Soccerbase and he did play for QPR, and scored 12 in 73 for Grays, pretty much a Southern Softie that's played all his career in the South East and tbh I think....nay know, we should be able to do better. What I do agree with though is that we should take greater notice of the non-league. Chasetown and H & W are testament to that as are Andrews and Hall who have had decent careers since leaving us.

It's current on the field displays now that count for me, many players have underachieved with previous clubs only to come good later (Fitz Hall for example).

Oli is not an out and out goalscorer, but very mobile and dangerous....certainly not a southern softie.

Denis Oli

Edited by BP1960

It's current on the field displays now that count for me, many players have underachieved with previous clubs only to come good later (Fitz Hall for example).

Oli is not an out and out goalscorer, but very mobile and dangerous....certainly not a southern softie.

Meant southern softie in the context that he has played all his career in the south-east apart from a short-trial at Swansea. OK Wayno, Ernie and One Size moved North, but there are enough good players closer to home. The problem is that many of these lads earn decent money from their full-time jobs and earn decent money from playing Semi-Pro. The other problem is how disciplined some of these guys are, look at Wes Wilkinson, looked a great prospect but didn't have the heart to devote himself to Pro-Football. With it being a mid-season window I feel we need players to come in and make an immediate impact, so experience is the key imo. Having said that we should be looking to take afew on trial come the summer give them a chance to prove themselves when not so much pressure is on.

Denis Oli

Southern Softie. I think he means by styaying located in the south. most unlikely he would have moved here.

100's have not made it. It's just possible, but so anmny haven't

Unfortunately many of the better non league players are in the South...mainly due to the number of Southern based teams dominating the Conference.

However, they can still be found in the North West, they need to be given a chance, even if it's only on a trial basis.

I remember recommending Simon Hackney to one of the clubs I scouted for when he was playing for Woodley Sports, but they said no.

He's now shining for Carlisle United and could be a Championship player next season.

Ironically, Latics could now do with a left winger just like him.

100's have not made it. It's just possible, but so many haven't

It would be interesting to know how many make it after coming from non league to the football league in ratio to football league clubs youth team players drifting into non league ?

Unfortunately many of the better non league players are in the South...mainly due to the number of Southern based teams dominating the Conference.

However, they can still be found in the North West, they need to be given a chance, even if it's only on a trial basis.

I remember recommending Simon Hackney to one of the clubs I scouted for when he was playing for Woodley Sports, but they said no.

He's now shining for Carlisle United and could be a Championship player next season.

Ironically, Latics could now do with a left winger just like him.

Just what is our scouting policy, it was very good under Royle but since then or is this yet another department that has been under funded?

Just what is our scouting policy, it was very good under Royle but since then or is this yet another department that has been under funded?

I don't know about Latics, but a lot of clubs now sign players on agents recommendations.

That's not a scouting policy IMO.

I don't know about Latics, but a lot of clubs now sign players on agents recommendations.

That's not a scouting policy IMO.

Thats very worrying imo. Does that mean that players like Ian Wright, Stuart Pearce, Mark Ward, NIgel Martyn etc.... all might not have made it under the present system.

Played in the Sheffield Derby today, was brought on and had a good game, set up their 2nd goal and should of bagged one himself, cant see him signing for us if he is in Laws plans...

theres a video of when he was at southend on the virgin media site, sum guy asked if he was staying at southend and he said they were discussing personal terms....he was then asked if he was going back to sheff wednesday to which he replied " il never go back to sheffield wednesday"

although he is back there now, the fans dont like him and its only due to injurys why he's in the team, like someone said previously, he'll move towards the end of the window, although with his wages, i dunno if it will be to us :disappointed:

theres a video of when he was at southend on the virgin media site, sum guy asked if he was staying at southend and he said they were discussing personal terms....he was then asked if he was going back to sheff wednesday to which he replied " il never go back to sheffield wednesday"

although he is back there now, the fans dont like him and its only due to injurys why he's in the team, like someone said previously, he'll move towards the end of the window, although with his wages, i dunno if it will be to us :disappointed:

It was interesting that Jermaine Johnson set up the first and Leon Clarke set up the second - both were on the wrong end of a load of stick when they were at Latics.

Time the boo-boys shut the :censored: up and supported half decent players - perhaps then we could have a team full of Roger Palmers, Nick Henrys, Andy Barlows, Rick Holdens.......I could go on.

None of the aforementioned legends hit the ground running and all made mistakes. What they got was a little bit of patience and encouragement.

Edited by Rick