Clarke still on?

One potential deal fell through when Athletic enquired about a Championship striker who does not play regular first-team football and were told he is paid £7,000 per week.

We all read that in the Chron on Wednesday and there was some talk that this was Leon Clarke. I don't think it can have been. We had him on loan last season and would have known what his wage was then when we agreed terms for that period. So perhaps the Clarke saga still will rumble on, maybe for a further loan, maybe a proper transfer.

Or maybe not.

One potential deal fell through when Athletic enquired about a Championship striker who does not play regular first-team football and were told he is paid £7,000 per week.

We all read that in the Chron on Wednesday and there was some talk that this was Leon Clarke. I don't think it can have been. We had him on loan last season and would have known what his wage was then when we agreed terms for that period. So perhaps the Clarke saga still will rumble on, maybe for a further loan, maybe a proper transfer.

Or maybe not.

Perhaps Alan Hardy fed the crumbs to the rarely wrong Chron so that it would be written up in such a way as to make readers believe it was about Clarke. The Club does not like targets being mentioned in advance by the Press.

Perhaps Alan Hardy fed the crumbs to the rarely wrong Chron so that it would be written up in such a way as to make readers believe it was about Clarke. The Club does not like targets being mentioned in advance by the Press.

I thnk that is true, because there is no way the club would have allowed themselves to be seen tellling everyone what the wages are.

It was just TOO obvious to be Clarke, so yes I reckon it is still a possibility. I think it is more Clarke waiting to see what offers come in, he knows a few clubs at least will be sniffing around.

If I was a betting man which I'm not I'd say we will get him on loan until June :unsure:

I really think that would be the best option for Latics, give us a chance to get a longer and proper look at him and if we like we can try and get him on a permanent deal in the summer, if not send him back and no harm done.

I really think that would be the best option for Latics, give us a chance to get a longer and proper look at him and if we like we can try and get him on a permanent deal in the summer, if not send him back and no harm done.

catch 22, if we do get him only on loan and he has storming 5/6/ months then what do you think the chances are of keeping him on on a permanent deal???

I thnk that is true, because there is no way the club would have allowed themselves to be seen tellling everyone what the wages are.

It was just TOO obvious to be Clarke, so yes I reckon it is still a possibility. I think it is more Clarke waiting to see what offers come in, he knows a few clubs at least will be sniffing around.

He has been abused by some of the fans at Sheff Wed, Southend and Latics, so he may be waiting to get an offer from somewhere where he might be loved - Walsall rings a bell or am I thinking of someone else?

catch 22, if we do get him only on loan and he has storming 5/6/ months then what do you think the chances are of keeping him on on a permanent deal???

agreed. i dont want anyone on loan ever again fed up of being a shop window without bars over it, unalarmed and an open door next to it.

agreed. i dont want anyone on loan ever again fed up of being a shop window without bars over it, unalarmed and an open door next to it.

Didn't we arrange a loan in recent years whereby we agreed a fee at the start of the loan period that we could take up providing that the loan spell was successful? Don't know why, but I seem to think it may have been Mark Hughes?

I don't think that this would necessarily guarantee a future signing due to personal terms, but may give us an additional level of protection against Doncaster and Leeds.

Didn't we arrange a loan in recent years whereby we agreed a fee at the start of the loan period that we could take up providing that the loan spell was successful? Don't know why, but I seem to think it may have been Mark Hughes?

I don't think that this would necessarily guarantee a future signing due to personal terms, but may give us an additional level of protection against Doncaster and Leeds.

souns like a good idea. Either way it is short term loan signing that has got us into this mess (no squad, no creative player). Realse this can't always be helped but need to start building with term signings (2-3 years) otherwise we will have 11 strangers playing with each other come August next year.

Agreed 1000%

Recent talk has been about stability breeding success. So thats what we need - not big time charlies coming in for a few months at a time. Although thinking about it Bertrand was an excellent loanee. And just to go back on my 1000% agreement a little more I think loanees for cover are fine. It's key players we want to avoid loaning. Our key players should be ours!!!

why do the big investers chose yorkshire teams look at donny and leeds for example they were both after kk with big ofters

Just coincidence that those two are yorkshire based. No investor bailed out Scarborough who I think went under due to a 100k debt. How ridiculous is that when :censored: like John Terry take home circa 140k a week?!?!?!?!?!?

I think you may be thinking of Beckett re the fee in advance

It was the supposedly the Luke Beckett deal in the summer of '05, we then changed manager and Shez wasn't interested and our first optionon him was allowed to lapse.

Onto a wider point, Shez in my opinion again will show his naiviety in this window, yes he has his targets but does he have a plan b? In Summer 2006 (and January last year) he didn't and we ended up with panic loan signing that had already been deemed not good enough during his trial period. He wasn't interested in Beckett but him and Porter looked good together under Moore and during Porters barren/injured spell last season as well as Warne failing to look like scoring from February onwards Beckett may have been the man that would have cemented our place in the top two. Just a thought and hindsight is a wonderful thing. But Shez let us down big time in the window last season and this time it is looking just as unfruitful with the same old negative comments coming out of the club.

Yes we don't want to put the club's future at risk but if money was available for Kilkenny why can't we push the boat out for someone else, I said at the time it will be interesting to see if that sort of money would be available for anyone else. Well we are two weeks further down the line and we still have a paper thin squad, decimated by injury and walking a suspension tight-rope. I'm sick of the same tired old excuses about players want this and that and we can't do this and we won't do that. That's why we've been a bag of crap for the last 14 years because we don't build on momentum, we sit back and let it unravel like last season. If you want to improve on what you have you have to pay for it simple as or we will forever tread water in this God forsaken league.

I'll tell you now, we will end up with a couple of kids from a Prem club that no-one's heard of who no doubt wll be decent enough quality but not the experience or calming influence this team needs.

Sorry for the rant, I know most of you won't agree butthat's just how I feel at the moment.

13 days to go, tick, tick, tick,tick, tick................

Luke Beckett. As you say it proved meaningless as he was under no obligation himself, the deal was only between us and Shef Utd.

I think that was Luke Beckett that we did that with.

I think the situation clarke is in is similar to that of becket i.e. an out of favour striker from a championship club knows that if he is sold it will be to a league one club with league 1 wages and like anyoneelse doesn't want to be earning half or less than half of what hes earning now. So to compensate he goes out on loan where he still keeps his championship contract and is kept in the shop window as a result of playing regular football. I would imagine that if we got him it would be a loan deal hopefully until the end of the season then we can take it from there.

Personally think Clarke would be a full member of our squad now, if Sheff Weds had the bodies upfront. But injuries etc means they haven't and he's wanted (they've not let him play in the FA Cup so far, but was about to throw him in vs Derby until it was called off...they're that short.) So he still could come our way, should Weds move in the market for a striker. All to be revealed, as they say.

It was the supposedly the Luke Beckett deal in the summer of '05, we then changed manager and Shez wasn't interested and our first optionon him was allowed to lapse.

Onto a wider point, Shez in my opinion again will show his naiviety in this window, yes he has his targets but does he have a plan b? In Summer 2006 (and January last year) he didn't and we ended up with panic loan signing that had already been deemed not good enough during his trial period. He wasn't interested in Beckett but him and Porter looked good together under Moore and during Porters barren/injured spell last season as well as Warne failing to look like scoring from February onwards Beckett may have been the man that would have cemented our place in the top two. Just a thought and hindsight is a wonderful thing. But Shez let us down big time in the window last season and this time it is looking just as unfruitful with the same old negative comments coming out of the club.

Yes we don't want to put the club's future at risk but if money was available for Kilkenny why can't we push the boat out for someone else, I said at the time it will be interesting to see if that sort of money would be available for anyone else. Well we are two weeks further down the line and we still have a paper thin squad, decimated by injury and walking a suspension tight-rope. I'm sick of the same tired old excuses about players want this and that and we can't do this and we won't do that. That's why we've been a bag of crap for the last 14 years because we don't build on momentum, we sit back and let it unravel like last season. If you want to improve on what you have you have to pay for it simple as or we will forever tread water in this God forsaken league.

I'll tell you now, we will end up with a couple of kids from a Prem club that no-one's heard of who no doubt wll be decent enough quality but not the experience or calming influence this team needs.

Sorry for the rant, I know most of you won't agree butthat's just how I feel at the moment.

Indeed! Also find it worrying that we've got options for LB yet Shez is more concerned in finding one, than sorting out the mess that is our (often) non-functioning wings.

Edited by boundaryblue80

We would all like 2 or 3 players coming in to boost a play off bid but they have to be better than we already have and there's no point bringing in players just for the sake of it!!

Players have the upper hand in the January window and are most certainly waiting to see what's on offer before commiting.

Shez has the backing of TTA and if the right players are available within the budget and more importantly want to come and play for us then I'm sure we'll sign em.

We are all sick of this league and and this club needs a promotion to boost interest and attract a bigger fanbase but we have to be patient and when we do go up we have to have a squad capable of staying up!

Personally a more realistic aim would be to wait till the end of the season as we've got a good nucleus of players and with a few more signings we could have a great chance of automatic promotion next time.

If we're to sign Leon Clarke I don't think he'll be here until right near the end of the transfer window, if Laws is wanting to give him a chance then I don't see him coming here straight away.

We shouldn't be signing players for signing sake, they shouldn't be coming just because they're good enough to help us achieve promotion but so they can help us stay up in the Championship if we get there.