Jarrett speaks about his Club - Candlelight?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oa_exile

"One" of my favorite's was the "Moor End" at the junction of Shaw Rd and Huddersfield Rd.

Now stands Kwik Fit (or Fiat) , a distant memory :) A Quality place :unsure:

Wow Exile ... I think I may have shared my youth with you... The Moor End replace Oldham Cricket club as the venue for trendy (and not so trendy :)) teens back in the day ... I can smell the goat curry now ... the DJ banging out the Jam songs and the bouncers looked meaner than I had ever seen before !!!

Didn't the Bali Hoo become the Avant Hotel?

I think it was part of it. There was certainly a hotel there anyway.

I know that I used to go there in the mid 80s. When we didn't go to Smokies; Scandals; Dreamers; Grays; Butterflies; Bredbury Hall etc,etc. :)

And don't get me started on the Manchester Clubs. :blush:

I must have pissed away a small fortune over the years. :unsure:

think it was scandals or maybe jo jo's in my time...

1971-1975 Strathmore Restaurant

1976-1983 Tramtracks (Last saw the Tram signs for Chadderton,Royton and Shaw on an episode of the Osbornes-somebody must have exported them and auctioned them off)

1983-1995? Scandals

1995-1998 JO jos

1998-? Eros

Its a blockof flats now ..... if its the place I'm thinking of at the Junction at bottom of Summit. Orginally use to be my mums primary school

Guest oa_exile
Wow Exile ... I think I may have shared my youth with you... The Moor End replace Oldham Cricket club as the venue for trendy (and not so trendy :)) teens back in the day ... I can smell the goat curry now ... the DJ banging out the Jam songs and the bouncers looked meaner than I had ever seen before !!!

Now here is a tester for you then Andy , do you remember the Tower Club around the back of there ? used to be a Church :)

Maybe you didnt frequent that place though ,was for us Rockers :headbang:

The booming words of BIG John on the door "50p tonight Man" , a GIANT of a man !

I DJ'd at a few places in Oldham, and there was NOWHERE as bad as The Moorend. Every area in the place had a code word, so if it kicked off left of the bar for instance, the DJ would call out "Mickey Mouse" and the gorillas would come running to that area to sort it out.

If it kicked off all over the club I used to feel a right top hat stood there shouting "Donald Duck, Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny etc" while there was blood and snot flying everywhere. :D

The bouncers used to dictate what was played half the time - they were very persuasive!, but stuff like the Jam kept everyone busy dancing so they were happy to let you play it.

Anyone remember the Tower club and Oscars just at the back of the Moor end?

BTW my sister in law was Ken Naylor's (candlelight owner) partner for quite a while, and there are a lot of untrue rumours going round about him, but he'll admit to any of them if it enhances his badboy reputation!!

Guest oa_exile
Anyone remember the Tower club and Oscars just at the back of the Moor end?

Couple of posts before your post Mate :

Now here is a tester for you then Andy , do you remember the Tower Club around the back of there ? used to be a Church :)

The booming words of BIG John on the door "50p tonight Man" , a GIANT of a man !

Lol I remember the Tower club for all the "greasers" as we used to call em ..50p to get in was par the course in those days of my carefree youth.. and was also the price of a pint (unless it was mild 35p) :). I think we may have been rivals ... i was a punk lol .. well I still am music wise. !!!

I think it was part of it. There was certainly a hotel there anyway.

I know that I used to go there in the mid 80s. When we didn't go to Smokies; Scandals; Dreamers; Grays; Butterflies; Bredbury Hall etc,etc. :)

And don't get me started on the Manchester Clubs. :blush:

I must have pissed away a small fortune over the years. :unsure:

Pips disco under the Cathedral. Bowie Room and Roxy Room........

I remember it. Saw the Sex Pistols there (Or was it the Clash).... Anyway. The floor used to bounce with the Pogoing.

Tramtacks/Scandals/Roystons/Eros are a number of names the place traded under. Scene of an end to a cracking stag night in 1984.

Also the venue for Darren McDonagh being ejected one night and ripping the front door off as the bouncers tried to get him out.

The place was demolished in 2003. The demolition contractor we used ripped up the sunken round dance floor and we found the old tracks on the turning head which was obviouslty the reason for the sunken and round dance floor. Spent many a night in there and never realised why the dance floor was like that.

Mind you I didn't spend much time on the dance floor in any case. :D

Guest oa_exile
I remember it. Saw the Sex Pistols there (Or was it the Clash).... Anyway. The floor used to bounce with the Pogoing.

I saw Iron Maiden , Saxon and Angel Witch at the Tower Club , probably a few more that have slipped my mind.

Rough old joint but had some class acts on :icon_peace:

Guest oa_exile
What about the Hill stores at the junction of Rippy Road and Huddersfield Road. My Mum and Dad met there.

Strange that Terry , my Mum & Dad actually met there as well :huh:

Place later became L Spencer & Co Ltd a Garment Manufacurer.

Big John went on to open a chippy at Primrose Bank a good few years back, I believe he passed away about 5 years ago, really nice guy with a very infectious laugh :)

I saw Iron Maiden , Saxon and Angel Witch at the Tower Club , probably a few more that have slipped my mind.

Rough old joint but had some class acts on :icon_peace:

Angelwitch! - Brilliant band. Thought I was the only one who had ever heard of 'em! Saw them supporting Krokus and Girlschool at The Apollo in the late 70s! Probably my first real gig that was.

"You're an Angelwitch, you're an Angelwitch"

They don't write lyrics like that anymore. (Well unless you're Diego)

:grin:

Guest oa_exile
Angelwitch! - Brilliant band. Thought I was the only one who had ever heard of 'em! Saw them supporting Krokus and Girlschool at The Apollo in the late 70s! Probably my first real gig that was.

"You're an Angelwitch, you're an Angelwitch"

They don't write lyrics like that anymore. (Well unless you're Diego)

Thought I was the only one who had ever heard of 'em!

Well you of all people should know better ^_^ I saw again a few years later as support to someone at the Appollo , I will have to check my programmes.

I also saw Girlschool as support to Motorhead in ??? , 79' Bomber Tour , I have seen Motorhead four times so not sure which year ........... four times , Eh .........your right I am deaf :grin:

"Thought I was the only one who had ever heard of 'em!"

well you of all people should know better ^_^ I saw again a few years later as support to someone at the Appollo , I will have to check my programmes.

I also saw Girlschool as support to Motorhead in ??? , 79' Bomber Tour , I have seen Motorhead four times so not sure which year ........... four times , Eh .........your right I am deaf :grin:

I saw Motorhead at Vale Park and I can honestly say that it is the only time I have enjoyed myself at that ground.