UK Forces - For Queen and Country

Matt

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we ALWAYS used to visit this place when we were sent to vegas on deployment....

http://www.thegunstorelasvegas.com/

in fact it was so good, and tons of fun, if not a tad expensive..that i took the mrs the last time we went..

short clips ......

i fired a sig sauer pistol ..... 50rds

MP5 100 rds

AK47 100 RDS

MP40 (them machine guns the jerries always have in the war films!!) 100 rds

her indoors put 50 rds through the MP5 too and the whole lot cost around £200

seems expensive, but not much opportunity to do it anywhere else...

• 3 weeks later...

Sister's fella just headed out at 7am this morning to Iraq for 3 months for a stint as a Sapper. Their first time over in Iraq. If all goes well they'll be back for mid December. He was hoping to get a new home shirt sorted to take over with him but they weren't available in time so I'll be sending one over later.

Go on the Sappers B)

• 1 month later...
Sister's fella just headed out at 7am this morning to Iraq for 3 months for a stint as a Sapper. Their first time over in Iraq. If all goes well they'll be back for mid December. He was hoping to get a new home shirt sorted to take over with him but they weren't available in time so I'll be sending one over later.

Go on the Sappers B)

is this the fella ....... http://www.oldhamathletic.premiumtv.co.uk/...1428804,00.html ????

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Only just noticed this thread! This was done in the 2nd Gulf war by a squadron in my ex regiment The Royal Dragoon Guards, it did make the Northwest news, I don't know if it has already been posted or anyone saw it on the news? they are currently out in Afghan on a 6 month tour, I went over to Blackpool a few weeks ago on a reunion, there were a few there who were waiting to go out but also coming up for there 22 year point, fingers crossed that they all come back in one piece, it had been 15 years since I had seen some of them, the banter just carried on from where we left it all those years ago, a great night out and I came back with some fond memories.

Edited by Ackey
Fixed the link for you mate.

• 1 year later...

War dead to be driven down side streets to avoid the public.

The bodies of soldiers killed in Afghanistan will no longer be honoured with a public parade but will be driven through back streets to avoid upset, it has emerged.

For several years, the flag-draped coffins of fallen servicemen and women have been met by large crowds who line the streets to pay their respects as they return to British soil.

But repatriation flights are to be diverted and will no longer be flown back to RAF Lyneham and through the small Wiltshire town of Royal Wootton Bassett, where they were saluted come rain or shine.

Instead, they will arrive back to RAF Brize Norton, where they will be driven through the back gate and then down side roads, neatly avoiding the nearby town of Carterton, as they make their way to the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford.

Andrew Robathan, Minister for Defence Personnel, Welfare and Veterans, admitted that the decision to avoid public scenes of emotion had been taken deliberately.

“The side gate was seen by the Ministry of Defence and the police as the most appropriate way to take out future cortèges,” he told Radio Oxford.

“I am not sure taking coffins in hearses past schools, past families, past married quarters is necessarily the thing that everybody would wish to see … the focus must be on the families of the dead service personnel. They are the people who care most. That is where our focus is.”

The Ministry of Defence said the route from RAF Brize Norton, where flights had landed until the runway was closed for repair work in 2007, was decided by West Oxfordshire District Council but claimed that the side gate would be used to ensure minimal disruption to normal operations.

A spokesman added: “Consideration has also been given to ensure the dignity and solemnity of the military repatriation ceremony is maintained and to those who are arriving at RAF Brize Norton about to deploy on operations.”

More than 2,000 campaigners have joined a F******k group calling for the repatriation route to be diverted through Carterton.

One member said: "A good friend of mine is a member of this group and her son was killed in Afghanistan, he was repatriated at RAF Lyneham and was driven through Royal Wootton Bassett.

"The families get so much comfort from the respect shown and it would be a massive blow to families if their fallen hero was ushered in quietly like a dirty secret."

An Oxfordshire County Council spokesman said that a memorial garden would be built along the new route, where bereaved families will be able to gather alongside members of the public and members of the Royal British Legion.

"Far from keeping it a secret, we are creating the garden because we know people want to pay their respects," he said.

Wootton Bassett was the first town in more than 100 years to be granted the “Royal” title in recognition of its parades for fallen soldiers.

John Beauchamp, 80, a local Navy veteran, said: “Wootton Bassett has done a damn good job and anyone who tries to hide it away should emigrate.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...he-public.html

Apalling decision!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/8599504/War-dead-to-be-driven-down-side-streets-to-avoid-the-public.html

You have to laugh at the sensationalist Telegraph reporting on this one, they've really spun a great tale here. Let's look at the facts:

The route from RAF Lyneham to Oxford (where the hospital is) would always have to go through Wooton Bassett to get to the M4, the tradition of "saluting the fallen through rain or shine" came about due to the logistics of moving the dead. The people of the village took it upon themselves to pay their respects by way of the MOD's route to the motorway. Victoria Ward (Telegraph) failed to point out that Lyneham will be closing due to MOD cuts, although she did go onto say that all repatriation flights will now come back into the county via RAF Brize Norton instead - missed out a large piece of information there, Victoria. However, the route from Brize Norton to Oxford doesn't go through Carteton, the quickest way to Oxford is down the A40 away from Carteton - and if the flights had always gone to Brize Norton the "tradition" would never have happened in the first place.

From the Deputy Mayor of Carterton:

The MoD were asked to decide which gate will be used for the cortège to exit RAF Brize Norton. For operational reasons, namely to ensure that the only Air Transport and Air to Air Refuelling base in the UK is able to continue operating and despatching and receiving freight as well as personnel to and from areas of conflict, gate 6 was chosen.

Given the MoD decision to exit the station via gate 6; the County Council were faced with the challenge of routing the cortège from gate 6 to the JR Hospital. The Coroner was very clear that he wanted the cortège to take the most direct route, without detour, in order to be able to get the post mortem performed and the bodied returned to the families without unnecessary delay. The route chosen is as direct as possible with one slight detour in order to provide the opportunity for people to safely gather to pay their respects. A memorial garden will be built which will include a paved area of 20m in diameter, some attractive planting and a flagpole which will fly the union flag during repatriations.

As a community we have a duty, all of us, to ensure that despite the constraints we ensure that each and every repatriation is conducted with dignity, solemnity, respect and compassion for the fallen as well as their families, friends and colleagues.

As an RAF serviceman and Carterton Town Councillor I am fully up to speed with the facts and I understand the emotive nature of this matter. I genuinely believe that the proposed route will meet the requirements of all and that we can do our heroes proud.

• 2 months later...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/8599504/War-dead-to-be-driven-down-side-streets-to-avoid-the-public.html

You have to laugh at the sensationalist Telegraph reporting on this one, they've really spun a great tale here. Let's look at the facts:

The route from RAF Lyneham to Oxford (where the hospital is) would always have to go through Wooton Bassett to get to the M4, the tradition of "saluting the fallen through rain or shine" came about due to the logistics of moving the dead. The people of the village took it upon themselves to pay their respects by way of the MOD's route to the motorway. Victoria Ward (Telegraph) failed to point out that Lyneham will be closing due to MOD cuts, although she did go onto say that all repatriation flights will now come back into the county via RAF Brize Norton instead - missed out a large piece of information there, Victoria. However, the route from Brize Norton to Oxford doesn't go through Carteton, the quickest way to Oxford is down the A40 away from Carteton - and if the flights had always gone to Brize Norton the "tradition" would never have happened in the first place.

But it did happen. I dont agree with the Iraq carnage we caused, or the unwinnable Afgan war. But it's not the soldiers fault, and it must be some crumb of comfort to the families to see the respect shown when the fallen return.

More likely some beurocrat :censored: has decided that the 'edl' wouldnt exist without the town, so lets stop normal folk paying respect. Or some eurobeurocratcunt couldnt hanlde seeing all the flags, so lets have a whisper in someones ear and put a stop to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Could anyone give a :censored: if some self-imposed mourners wailed on the roadside in some two bit village miles away from where any action took place or those killed were from?

I think the family of soldiers get that the populace at large is grateful for their actions, but I suspect it is more of something of a comfort when family/friends/colleagues of the said fallen have nice things to say.

As for the calling of the bureaucrats, well I expect that the reasons were to save money. Hell, keep it open and close a hospital instead - that way the florists can rake it in, the WB folk can feel good about themselves and a few hundred other less worthy people can bite the dust instead.

More likely some beurocrat c*** has decided that the 'edl' wouldnt exist without the town, so lets stop normal folk paying respect. Or some eurobeurocrat c*** couldnt hanlde seeing all the flags, so lets have a whisper in someones ear and put a stop to it.

Oh dear.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm ex Royal Armoured Corps, main battle tanks Chieftain, challenger 1&2. I started off as a gunner then progressed onto Gunner Mech but not before being able to occupy any position on the crew if required. In the early days of my career, turn of the 90's we were observant towards Ivan the Soviet spy, moreso when the new Challenger tanks arrived because of the armour that was used, Field Training Exercises, Field Movement Exercise and Site Guards (a US thing) pretty much faded in the first 12 months of getting posted to Germany, we had to be ready to be crashed out at any time, if my memory serves me correctly we were on 2 hours notice to move from when I got there up until reunification, I remember being crashed out on a Saturday night whilst on the lash in then, we next saw barracks a week later.

I spent 6.5 years in Germany, in that time throw in 3x 6 month tours of NI, 18 mo tis training for NI, Bosnia, 1&2 Gulf wars, countless gunnery camps and tactical movements at Höhne and Söltau Lüneberg training areas. Throw in a couple of medic courses and other courses that are of no use in civvy street whatsoever and that pretty much me...id used to think we had it pretty easy in comparison to the likes of Paras and RM. Even today I still look back at the hours I used to do outside of training, courses and ops etc and think those were the days. I've never been on for calling other regts or Corps, in my eyes you were prepared to stick your life on the line which was good enough for me, slating did go on but we all had our own role, which should it be called upon it would get done and that's all that mattered to me.

Back to the op though- Afghanistan has been on going g since 2001 now, those who are now late teens/ early 20's would have only just left junior school when all this started and it would have been high lighted at the careers office and training depots that there would be a good chance that they'll be deployed sometime shortly after joining their respective regiments.

As Luke said about his mate, my mind was made up whilst watching the coverage of the Falklands, I was 10 at that time Burton knew that's what I wanted to do, I remember my Uncle, who was stationed in Hereford at the time, saying what happens if you get shot? My reply was a shrug of thwarting shoulders and if it happens it happens, only during my stint in the Army did I think back to that moment in time and relive that moment that if something did happen then my training would kick in and my mates would be there with me, in all cases they were, there's a bond between Army mates that can never be rivalled, that bond is still there even though I've been out for over 10 years now, time never moves with us, we start from where we finished when we were last together- which was normally taking the piss out of each other.

I've often said to myself that the troops should be pulled out but then that's 407? lives lost in vain, progress is being made, hearts and minds are being won but it doesn't help when incidents that have come to light in the last couple of months are happening, it makes the mission just that little bit more risky.

Anyway I've had my say....

• 5 months later...

Interesting to see Harry will now do a 4 month stint in Afghanistan.

Nothnig to do with his recent antics in America, of course..

Possibly, although the reason he went to Vegas probably had more to do with the fact he is going to be doing some hard work without a holiday for 4 months.

The country spent a lot of money training him to fly helicopters, if he wasn't going to fly them where they are needed most he shouldn't have been trained to fly those helicopters and his place should have been given to someone else.

He should be OK so long as he doesn't fly naked, or in a Nazi uniform. I'd be interested to here from some of the vets just how dry these dry camps are? I recall speaking to an ex US Air Force guy who was I suspect earning a bloody fortune for sitting waiting to torch Iran with Abu Dhabi's box of toys, he said that the Saudis always said what fresh breath they had as they were always on the Magic Mouthwash.

Interesting to see Harry will now do a 4 month stint in Afghanistan.

Nothnig to do with his recent antics in America, of course..

You can't really plan to send a Prince to a war zone that quickly - this will have to have been in the pipe line for a while now.

• 7 months later...

He should be OK so long as he doesn't fly naked, or in a Nazi uniform. I'd be interested to here from some of the vets just how dry these dry camps are? I recall speaking to an ex US Air Force guy who was I suspect earning a bloody fortune for sitting waiting to torch Iran with Abu Dhabi's box of toys, he said that the Saudis always said what fresh breath they had as they were always on the Magic Mouthwash.

When intensive training is being undertaken you don't get time to drink because of the training program, it's as close as you'll ever get without actually going. From battle first aid to communication, intel reports, tactical manoeuvres, patrols types, debriefings, admin and weapon cleaning, the list goes on. We used to have to cease all tracked vehicle movement between midday Saturday until midnight Sunday, so that was shower time, few beers and chill time, when the time came to be dry it was bone dry, not a drop in sight. Afghanistan is bone dry.