Farewell to the Lookers

Until I was old enough to go and stand at the back of the Chaddy I always used to sit on the wall on the halfway line in the Broadway Paddock.

I must have watched some rubbish from that vantage point but I was also perched there when we beat Huddersfield 6-0 to win promotion from the 3rd division and when we beat M*n U*d 1-0 the following season. And I have very fond memories of my "spot".

I only ever sat in the upper section on two occasions. The first was in about 1972 or 73 when we played Rochdale. My mum thought that there would be trouble so she sent me to sit with one of her friends. And the second time was for a league cup tie against Bradford in the mid to late 70's. I went with my grandad and he insisted we sat there. I think we lost!!

My parents stiill sit in the bottom section and have never watched a home match from anywhere else in the 60+ years they've been going to BP. I don't know where they'll move to. They'll probably start going to Burton Albion :D

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First sat in the lookers upper with my dad in the 87/88 season - then we got season tickets there from 88/89 until around 94 when I moved down to the paddock with my mates. So many memories from that time...the whole pinch me years, having OAFC in blue facepaint for the Sheff Wed game and after a couple of tears at 0-2 it being smeared across my face...then the glorious comeback! The Nicky Banger banner being unveiled when he finally scored (a row of A4 sheets stuck together). Annoying the two old guys behind us in the paddock (when it was seated) by constantly standing up...indeed trying to get to the ground before them just to make sure we got those seats - they were always there!!! I also remember during possibly the 98/99 season going to Wycombe game, it was absolutely hammering down (poss worse than Forest) got to the ticket office before the game and asked for a ticket for the lookers paddock. The response from lady in office was 'Are you completely mad or just stupid?' I went for stupid and then proceeded to have that quote ringing in my ears for the following 90mins as it was a dire 0-0 and it just didn't stop raining. Think I had the choice of about 500 seats aswell!

Some of my earliest latics memories are in the lookers with my dad and they will stay with me for ages. the kind of memories that he can't recall, but I can in glorious detail because every game was just the best thing in the world. I'll always remember turning the corner round the chaddy to see the column of smoke/steam coming out from the side of the lookers on a night game, usually Womak and Womak playing on the PA and just loving every minute. So long to the lookers...here's to a fantastic new stand and a fabulous new ground to create some more memories that will last forever.

It's the only stand i've not sat in.

Similar myself, but I popped in for the Port Vale game this season so I could say I did the stand at an Oldham game. As it brought no change in luck/ability I refrained from a repeat.

I had however been in loads of times, but this isn't a Manchester Allstars thread.

Decision time here on Saturday, do I sit in the Chaddy as per usual, take the bro into the Lookers and reminise or scrap a nothing game and watch Bury v Rochdale... HMMM

what idiots will be doing that?? :lol::lol:

Forgot about the Birmingham Conga by some of the fattest away fans ever seen. Half of them looked clearly knackered after about 30 seconds - they'd lost all interest in the game by the time the 3rd went in.

Plus who can forget one of the funniest characters ever (if not thee) to grace the paddock. Chubbs.

Oh, she's lovely isn't she? She calls everyone "luv", and "darling" and genuinely likes working there I think. Always has a smile on her face. Most of the catering staff everywhere else are either clueless, miserable or hate having to be there.

No, I don't fancy her.

Dont worry J. Even if she doesnt get relocated to your stand. She's a Latics fan who goes a few aways. We saw her outside the turnstiles at Leeds where she had the "for god sake. I cant escape you lot anywhere" look on her face. As well as in the pub at Doncaster where I dont think her dad was too impressed with 5 lads saying "look, there's that fit pie girl" :wink:

Yeah right. You wont be saying that when you're pestering me to buy you a pint in't Royle Bar on Saturday!! :wink:

Don't worry Dan we will look after you,Just stay away from the far left..............hand side and you will be fine :)

My abiding memories of the Lookers are the first time I ever sat in there (against Spurs in late 92) and Ian Olney popped up and scored a late winner. As we were leaving some bloke came and said you are a lucky mascot aren't you (I had been the match mascot) and for some reason that made a very special day even more complete.

The junior Latics lounge, where all you could ever get is some chocolate and those weird drinks in plastic cartons and never ever get on any of the arcade games. Even when I went in for a friendly and was the only person in there the games were off.

Absolutely battering Bury and just leaning back and thinking some people are getting a lot of stick tomorrow.

The new year's day massacre still getting wet despite being in the upper and thinking those poor so and so's in the paddock must be soaking, but loving it.

The Blackpool play-off game last season where after the ref finally gave us a decision we all screamed 'Hallejula' (sp?) and watching the game on telly afterwards i could quite clearly hear my dolcet tones.

The Tranmere game last season where a glorious last minute winner resulted in us going top of the league and as i looked round the stand everyone was going mental and 'starting' the chant 'we are top of the league' whilst everone was still half celebrating the goal. The bloke throwing the ball back into the crowd this season.

Having to wait ages for chips despite being the first in the queue in the days when some jobsworth didn't segregate the two bits of the lounge for paddock and upper.

The fact that its the only stand in the ground where you can get a drink without being over-crowded and still is the family stand with the junior supporters lounge.

All those times my Dad has had to pull me back from the barrier as i've got out of my seat to give someone (usually the ref) abuse (being on the front row has its advantages).

I'm definately going to miss it - don't think next season will be same without my usual seat in the lookers paddock.

Hightlights for me definately include:

Tranmere a few seasons back when a lad threw the ball back onto the field from the paddock, and caught Gareth Roberts square on the nose - did he not like that! (got his own back when his cross was converted for an equaliser in time added on, ran up the length of the paddock to give some back to us all who'd give him some grief!)

The guy with the really loud, but really high voice, who sits over to my right and his same old, same old greeting to the linemans...."afternoon Lino, welcome to BP, hope you're better than the plank we had last game"...every week!!!

Walsall 2 seasons ago, their captain, Craig Pead having to listen to 45 mins worth of the section of the paddock i sit in shouting "PPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAADDDDDDDD" in really high pitched voices - such a simple thing, easy banter, but it got to him and he played pish!!!

And years ago, in the Roger Palmer testemonial, Colin Hendry putting 3 successive balls over the Upper's roof, to the cry of 'just a Scottish Donkey@

Great stuff - going to miss it all!

I only went in the Lookers for the first time last year. "AAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH," was truely hilarious, as was the man missing his seat. I can't say I will miss the soakings but it's completely different being that close to the action where you almost feel like you are on the pitch, hearing every touch, shout and curse.

PS, the pie shop girl is mine, all mine :wub:

First ever season ticket was in the upper, sat near the back about four from the end on the Chaddy End side. Clearest memory is of being right behind Stitch as an 11-year-old when he hit that volley against Arsenal. TV replays don’t do it justice. I remember as it curled inside the post thinking ‘We might be on to something here’.

Going into Junior Latics lounge before the match and queuing for Mars bars and seeing a City fan karted across about three seats when we beat them 2-1.

Thanks for reminding me of the two Birmingham OGs, Prozac...hilarious. All their fans conga-ing around afterwards too was hilarious.

Funniest thing that's happened to me was in my first ever game, we beat QPR 4-1 the year we came down from the Prem. Andy Sinton (I have been told since it was him), scored first though for the visitors, and upon seeing the travelling fans jumping around and cheering to his left, confused four year old jsslatic jumped up and leapt to his feet and cheered along with them. After my father had explained to the disgruntled folk around us that we were indeed Latics, Darren Beckford (again, I've been told since), bagged a brace and we went on to thump them.

Many great memories, I'm gonna miss the old girl.

Sinton's screamer was the year before fella in a 2-2 draw, great strike too, Sir Les scored the opener in the 4-1, still be travelling now that ball if it hadn't been for the net!

Sinton's screamer was the year before fella in a 2-2 draw, great strike too, Sir Les scored the opener in the 4-1, still be travelling now that ball if it hadn't been for the net!

All my illusions of my first day at BP shattered... :angry:

I spent just one saeson in the Lookers paddock but what a season.

I was in there for most of the promotion season (we were in the RRE for a few games when it used to be a home standing area).

I was sat on the fence at the front of the paddock when Redders struck that penalty home. I remember jumping up and down but being too scared to go onto the pitch as everyone came flooding past me.

The following game will also always stick in my mind too. The Roger testamonial when we were finally promoted with (West Ham's) trophy. I'd built up the courage by then and rushed onto the pitch at the end.

Oh, happy days. Come to think about it, it's all gone down hill since then. Don't knock it down, I'll move back and we'll be kings of Europe within five years.

My first season as a Latics fan coincided with the opening of the Ford Stand. Spent my first 6 or 7 years watching from the paddock, may have been longer, until they closed it in the late 70's/early 80's.

Best memories - sitting on the wall on the half way line during the 73/74 season & listening to Grovesie chatting to the crowd. the Huddersfield match stands out when we won promotion - Keith Hicks jumped over the wall and into the paddock at the end of the match to celebrate with the fans.

Remember going in the new stand for what I think was it's first ever game, a pre season friendly against Bury.

better not twll you then that Beckford only scored one then, Jobbo, Beckford, McCarthorse and QPR o.g. ironically called McCarthorse too! :wink:

If the old man has lied to me about this then what else has he lied about?

See me on Jeremy Kyle next Tuesday morning.

Guest oa_exile
My first season as a Latics fan coincided with the opening of the Ford Stand. Spent my first 6 or 7 years watching from the paddock, may have been longer, until they closed it in the late 70's/early 80's.

Best memories - sitting on the wall on the half way line during the 73/74 season & listening to Grovesie chatting to the crowd. the Huddersfield match stands out when we won promotion - Keith Hicks jumped over the wall and into the paddock at the end of the match to celebrate with the fans.

Remember going in the new stand for what I think was it's first ever game, a pre season friendly against Bury.

I have the programme from that first game ....... somewhere :unsure: (may have a trove about and see if I can find it)

I remember falling over one of the (then towering) red gate at the front of the paddock when i was a wee un, i also rember shouting rick holden over and getting him to sign my dads programme only for my pen not to work :( gutted to this day about that one.

I remember falling over one of the (then towering) red gate at the front of the paddock when i was a wee un, i also rember shouting rick holden over and getting him to sign my dads programme only for my pen not to work :( gutted to this day about that one.

Like the new signature? Rather appropriate methinks!

Blimey, a farewell to the old lady on Saturday.

I started going in the paddock as a 6 year old in 1974, my old man used to take me and I would sit on the wall talking to players warming up and colour in the programmes in orange crayolas. My first game in there was against Luton in the October, 3 months after moving into the area after living in Germany.

Sometimes I watched the game too, but it was all so new and exciting back then. I watched fights in the chaddy and developed heroes in those formative few years - funnily enough all full backs and wingers excepting one moment of madness.

Woody was my first, Grovesey was brill but I recall little about him, then Chalky White, then I had an abberation and decided that Ged Keegan was the best thing since sliced bread.

I hit being a teen and Ryan and Atkinson were the dogs as far as I was concerned. I suppose when those two left I had started to appreciate the game a little more and wasn't as interested in the players that were mere feet from me and developed other favourites. Clements, Paul Futcher and of course the king of all footballers, Roger Palmer.

Still wingers and full backs mainly got the nod from me - Joe McBride 'cos he had the same boots as me (Puma Kings), Wardy, Paul Heaton. The legend that is Denis Irwin. Tricky Ricky and Andy 'pie on a muffin' Barlow, Neil Adams, Chris Makin for some time. The old fella Eyrsie and nowadays a sprightly and promising young buck Deane Smalley. To sit side on and see that lot over the years has been wonderful and frustrating in equal amounts.

When I was about 10 or 11 I started to get season tickets for the upper and used to get a lift with Rick off this here board and his Dad. Every week Ken would take me and our kid and Rick, Paul and Ste to the match. Sadly Ken, our kid and Paul have lost the faith but I still see Rick and Ste every home game and share beers with them pre and post game. I have made some great friends in that old wood and steel ramshackle frame

I had the odd flirt with the Chaddy (the three Premiership years were spent in there) and RRE but for me the Lookers is home on gods little acre.

I'm really going to miss being in there and even though I know the development has to happen, a part of me will be really sad on Saturday at five-ish when I walk out of the doors for the last time.

So high and low lights in no particular order.

Being told to effing cut it out by the linesman in the Blackburn switched game because I was throwing snowballs at him for loads of the match.

Being smacked round the head by the old man for antagonising said liner.

Me going radio rental when Kinkladze missed the pen when we finally turned City over at BP.

Actually, pretty much every City game, I hate them so much it isn't really healthy.

The Verndogs goal.

Tranmere last season jumping on the wall and almost falling into the paddock to celebrate in the upper when the keeping clown dropped a clanger and we went top. 'Ronnie, Ronnie what's the score!!!'

Graeme Sharp as manager and Danny Standring walking onto the pitch and planting himself firmly in the centre spot in protest to applause from the stand.

Watching that mug from Middlesborough in the 80's who decided to climb over the fence and run over the pitch to take the Chaddy on his own.

West Ham, Arsenal, Villa, Southampton in THAT season.

Ossie Ardiles against Spurs in the cup - genius.

Palmer, Palmer, Palmer, Palmer so many times Palmer. Diving header against Ipswich, out of the binmans hands in the cup against Everton.

'Joooooollllllllllllllian where's your handbag' on Easter Monday against Wet Spam.

Walking into the ground for the first time.

Clix chewing gum in a blister pack and fish n chips snacks with Bovril on cold winter days.

The day my Dad died we sat in the main stand against Chesterfield in the JPT, I spent most of the game lost in my thoughts and the old girl was like me, empty and dark - I don't think I have ever wanted to be in there as much in my life as that night.

Redders and really trying to stay off the pitch.

Buckets outside in the cold and rain for far too many weeks.

Players spinning off to celebrate in front of the best stand in the ground.

'Taylor, grow your hair, you look like f**king Wilson' a few weeks ago from the paddock.

The camaraderie in the place.

The Royle bar.

My friends.

My seat.

Footballing home.

And many more I don't wish to bore you with.

KtF,

Derek.

Edited by DerekWilson_1968