Am I missing the point?

Who said it's a bad thing if they pull it off? I didn't and, as far as I can tell, nor did anybody else.

I love how you twist quotes to suit your own arguement.

I said...

How could this be seen as a bad thing?

So, by that I of course mean people are viewing it as a bad thing, not saying. Usually because of their own vain embarrassment that a teeny minnow club is overtaking us once again.

I await your usual tedious retort.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to school in Rochdale and had some mates who supported them, my brother in law is a season ticket holder there and we have good chats about Dale and Latics, will be cracking if they get up as we will play each other and be able to say "ooh, got Bristol Rovers on Saturday, you drew against them, how do you think we will do?" and such.

Plus they have Bob Holness and Kalum who they got from us so will be good to see them in a league match to see whether we did the right thing getting rid or if we were wrong.

Additionally, it will be fantastic to see Dale promoted as it will prove that running a football club the right way, balancing the books, improving the ground, not spending silly money and selling the right players at the right time for the right price works. Dale have to be one of the best run clubs, not been in the red for years and have made a profit over most recent seasons. A triumph for common sense, prudence and football.

I hope they get promoted again to the Championship, behind us of course.

I said that I'd find it embarrassing if they left us behind....

That's what he said. Though I should have posted:

...correlates to the Corps suggestion that he would be embarrassed at the possibility of Rochdale having back-to-back promotions whilst we remain in L1.

The answer remains the same.

I love how you twist quotes to suit your own arguement.

I said...

So, by that I of course mean people are viewing it as a bad thing, not saying. Usually because of their own vain embarrassment that a teeny minnow club is overtaking us once again.

I await your usual tedious retort.

This is truly amazing stuff. To find it embarrassing that we are again left standing by a smaller club doesn't mean I'd begrudge them what they've achieved.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

from Rochdale myself and would love the local derby - I remember as a kid when we last played them in both league and FA cup when virtually the whole of Spotland was Latics and the atmosphere was electric ! Bring it on ! On the other hand I know loads of Dale fans and tbh they generally are very disparaging about Latics (or BIFFO's as they like to call us - Big Ignorant F**kers From Oldham !). Maybe they are jealous - not sure, but I would love to turn em over twice next season ! - mind you , I like the away days at Stockport too (Eryseeeeeeeey !!)

from Rochdale myself and would love the local derby - I remember as a kid when we last played them in both league and FA cup when virtually the whole of Spotland was Latics and the atmosphere was electric ! Bring it on ! On the other hand I know loads of Dale fans and tbh they generally are very disparaging about Latics (or BIFFO's as they like to call us - Big Ignorant F**kers From Oldham !). Maybe they are jealous - not sure, but I would love to turn em over twice next season ! - mind you , I like the away days at Stockport too (Eryseeeeeeeey !!)

purely and simply because they would be very local rivals i would love to see rochdale get promoted.....getting to the final at the new wembly will be a fantastic day out for there very long suffering fans.....whilst we complain about being stuck in this division for over 10 years,they have been down there forever,and had to reapply for registration a few times....

peoople whinge n whine about how small our player budget is,yet theres must be smaller still.....but have managed to get together a group of players who have got them to a final.......there was very likely debates like this going on all over the place when we got to wembly......

i dont begrudge them there day out.....and you certainly couldnt moan if they stayed in league 1 for a while because they were playing decent footy.

some of the sniping and comments on this thread are just ridiculas.

We moved from Rochdale to marginally into Oldham when I was 4 months old, then back to just over the boarder when I was about 13. I generally say I’m going to Rochdale if I am just paying a home visit or that I’m going to Oldham if it involves the football, even if I am stopping over in Dale. I would certainly be going to Wembley if I hadn’t already made plans for that weekend, it’s a big footballing occasion involving my home town. Fortunately I was at St Aidans when I made my footballing choices (due to a free tickets for schoolkids scheme) so I’ve never had any loyalties to Dale, and I enjoy, “looking out for their results,” knowing full well how annoyingly patronising they find it.

This bit, where you asked a question ...

....correlates to the Corps suggestion that he would be embarrassed at the prospect of playing Rochdale. The rest of the post was more or less reminiscence.

I answered that I wouldn't be too embarrassed - if you're good enough to go up, you're good enough to go up. I won't miss any sleep.

As Corp (my mate, apparently) has shown, I didn't repeat what he said. I said I would be embarrassed to be in the same league as t'Dale. I've been accused of being elitist in the past but I guess my previous comments make me guilty in this case. Oh well, I won't lose any sleep over that. Dale fans think that anyway, don't they?

Before I signed up, I was warned about certain aspects of this message board but FFS, this thread proves my mate's points. I agree with what "Edhunter" wrote about the sniping. It seems that the mods only censure personal abuse when it's directed at certain users. Let's see some consistency, eh?

Here's a helpful link for those who've forgotten the definition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debate

<puts tin hat on> :grin::wink::lol: etc., etc. ad. inf.

As Corp (my mate, apparently) has shown, I didn't repeat what he said.

How embarrassed will we be if they become another of the clubs that leave us behind

...they could go on to feature in the Championship - stranger things have happened. How we would look then?

Chill out Mart. I read the above quotes as exactly the same question. I even said "fair enough" in my first post as if to say each to their own - that's your view. However, if you ask a question you've got to expect that others may try and answer it. Whatever are your views are your views, you form them - not me. But for crying out loud, don't get to upset if others start querying them.

Sniping? I don't even know what that means in a messageboard environment - no idea.

Before I signed up, I was warned about certain aspects of this message board but FFS, this thread proves my mate's points. I agree with what "Edhunter" wrote about the sniping. It seems that the mods only censure personal abuse when it's directed at certain users. Let's see some consistency, eh?

Not sure what you have been told by your mate but here are a few facts.

The mods only censure personal abuse where there is a complaint by a member. All incidents are treated the same and it is very rare that any intervention is required. Most of the time, apologies are proferred and accepted. Job done. Move on. Sometimes though, people continue to argue the toss and that may lead to a warning which lasts for a month. There is always a justifiable reason though if such action is taken. At the moment, nobody is on a warning (which will tell you how often we intervene) and since OWTB started, only half a dozen at tops have been censured in this way.

As any censuring is done via PM, it is unlikely that you will be aware of it unless someone involved wants to to tell you their side of the story. The consistency aspect is dealt with by peer review within the Mod Team. It's taken seriously and we do not particularly want to have to get involved. Where we do, we want it to be fair.

This messageboard is all about debate. Sometimes it will get heated and that's fine as long as it doesn't go too far down the personal insults route. If you don't like something that is said and want to complain, then you know how to contact us. Same for everyone so inconsistency does not come into it.

The tendency for some Latics fans to be unconcerned about the club being left behind is a notable feature of the internet.

Welcome back CJ. I've missed your indomitable spirit. Have you been on holiday? Lets have more of your 'we've gone to sleep and lack ambition' attitude!'

Wow theres some bitter people on here recently! And I thought it was my job to point out the negatives every time.

I am going on Monday with another 3 Latics fans (All ST holders and away regulars).

Who cares who the teams are they are Local and if you aren’t bothered by the cost why not?, it's what footballs all about.

If Wembley stadium didn’t still have the magical feel about it, and we weren't interested in the division two playoffs then everybody would be going on about how English football at the lower levels has lost the attraction and how fans only flock to see the bigger clubs.

It doesnt make me anyless a Latics fan if i pay to see other clubs when we havent got a fixture.

If Wembley stadium didn’t still have the magical feel about it, and we weren't interested in the division two playoffs then everybody would be going on about how English football at the lower levels has lost the attraction and how fans only flock to see the bigger clubs.

There will be many who criticise the fact that the Stadium is not full on Monday, just as there are many absentees who always want to know the size of the attendance at BP games.