New signing tomorrow

So... it is O'Grady then?

If so, and if he's just a back-up, then I'm not very happy at all. We're spending money now on back-ups?! I thought Corney said if it's the right player, then we would spend...

He's obviously the right player to push Davies and Hughes all the way for a starting spot then. Competition particularly in the forward department can only be good news.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's obviously the right player to push Davies and Hughes all the way for a starting spot then. Competition particularly in the forward department can only be good news.

Another Porter perhaps???

And he cant be free with him being under 24?

Edited by Beardy

I wouldn't be pessimistic, O'Grady is quick and mobile for a big man, and although not a prolific goalscorer he will create plenty of chances for others.

Chris O'Grady

true,but if the aim is to get out of this division next season and were paying a fee i would of much prefered keigan parker or a constantine,someone who is more than proven at this level,knows where the goal is and can bring other players into the game.....i hope if it is him he seriously proves me wrong,but that is my opinion on it,it doesnt excite me like maybe a proven more familiar player would,

Defo mate, I cant believe some of the people on here. I didnt realise we have closet Rotherham fans who can form such a high opinion. We are a small league one club, or have people forgotten that. TTA are still investing in the team lets just remember that!

Anyway, is it him lol??

Another Porter perhaps???

And he cant be free with him being under 24?

It looks as though Shez is tryna get that type of player back in, assuming we have signed him.

Still young, though, so that's on his side. To be fair to him, Porter didn't exactly score that many for Bury, so I'll have to retract a comment further up, and give him a chance. Again, assuming we've signed him...

true,but if the aim is to get out of this division next season and were paying a fee i would of much prefered keigan parker or a constantine,someone who is more than proven at this level,knows where the goal is and can bring other players into the game.....i hope if it is him he seriously proves me wrong,but that is my opinion on it,it doesnt excite me like maybe a proven more familiar player would,

Keigan Parker had a late run of goals in the lashers promotion season, he hasnt really been a regular in the team? So where has this KP will be better come from???

Guest oa_exile
Defo mate, I cant believe some of the people on here. I didnt realise we have closet Rotherham fans who can form such a high opinion. We are a small league one club, or have people forgotten that. TTA are still investing in the team lets just remember that!

Anyway, is it him lol??

In fairness I think Fans are expecting someone more high profile as a starter or back up , IF it is him of course.

He has the makings of a good un but he will have to hit the ground running next season.

He is young with plenty of scope for development, he's similar in style to Liam Dickinson of Stockport and I think many would like to see that type of player at Latics.

Keigan Parker had a late run of goals in the lashers promotion season, he hasnt really been a regular in the team? So where has this KP will be better come from???

there is no saying he would be better.....but if your going to pay a fee for a back up or squad player then surely you would go for someone proven.

like i said its my opinion,and for me its not a lot to get excited about,sorry if it doesnt fit in with your views but there ya have it.

In fairness I think Fans are expecting someone more high profile as a starter or back up , IF it is him of course.

I'd say our front two are already sorted for next season anyway. People are fretting like we've only got a few hours to sign others. Plenty of time to get in another striker too should Shez think the squad needs one.

Obviously the automatic reaction from most would like to see us signing a Clarke or a Constantine type, but alot of us are always saying why not chance on those from lower leagues (yes, only one division lower i know) but why not give the lad a chance, and he might end up like plenty of strikers have done from league two or lower, and be successful in this league.

If it is him, of course.

If it's O'Grady then 2 things I'd say are......

1) If brought in as back up, it's so we can build the squad which we've not had the past 2 years. One where when it gets injuries and suspensions.....we can cope with these depletions

2) If some are crying over how he's exiting Rotherham, all I can say is he remember who their manager is. I think the lads top bollocks for upsetting that :censored:! :grin:

Personally I'd like Robertson, Clarke or Constantine (in no particular order) but then I wouldn't have minded an Audi A3 for my birthday either.....just happy we're focusing on building a squad aswell as 1st team choices.

Obviously the automatic reaction from most would like to see us signing a Clarke or a Constantine type, but alot of us are always saying why not chance on those from lower leagues (yes, only one division lower i know) but why not give the lad a chance, and he might end up like plenty of strikers have done from league two or lower, and be successful in this league.

If it is him, of course.

Think thats exactly right - worth a punt by all accounts. Typical Latics fans, already on the lads back and he hasn't even kicked a ball in anger yet!!

Yeah sure, i'd have prefered a 'bigger name' too, but at least we (the club) are taking a gamble - we did it with Porter an look how he turned out goals wise, and we've appeared to done it again with this lad......i'll give him the backing he might need, as a the 3rd / 4th striker i think he's not a bad shout at all......

just happy we're focusing on building a squad aswell as 1st team choices.

Exactly. Just what we need. Our starting eleven last season wasn't too bad despite Shez saying he never really got his own best side out. It was beyond the first eleven where we really suffered and due to the mass amount of injuries we had little else.

With a new physio as well who takes offence at any of the injuries that have dogged us for so long maybe Shez will have to actually pick a squad next season!

Think thats exactly right - worth a punt by all accounts. Typical Latics fans, already on the lads back and he hasn't even kicked a ball in anger yet!!

Yeah sure, i'd have prefered a 'bigger name' too, but at least we (the club) are taking a gamble - we did it with Porter an look how he turned out goals wise, and we've appeared to done it again with this lad......i'll give him the backing he might need, as a the 3rd / 4th striker i think he's not a bad shout at all......

If anyone's got LaticsWorld use the video search facility and check out his goals for Rushden and Rovrum in 05/06, 06/07,07/08 this lad sure doesn't score tap ins looks a cracker. IF it's him!

Guest oa_exile
..........but then I wouldn't have minded an Audi A3 for my birthday either.....

Well have you some News to share with us on that front :)

Guest oa_exile
So I get home today to find a message from someone in the know at BP who names two players we're after, one of whom is signing tomorrow (Tuesday 27 May). (There's a convoluted story about why I have this message.)

I'm not going to name the players involved, as it feels a bit rude to come rushing to a message board to share a private message, but since I never normally hear any gossip I'm interested in seeing if this turns out to be true. Obviously you can choose not to believe me one bit but I've never posted a "mate of a mate told me" story before.

There will be a striker signing tomorrow for a decent transfer fee (not a free), and we're chasing an experienced midfielder who's played at Old Trafford (although there's stiff competition for that signing so it may not come off). (And no, it's not Paul Scholes.)

I will be happy if these signings come off. They are the quality of player that we should be striving for (and can realistically get!).

................ so after all the hype of who the new Striker is it's probably going to announced we signed the Midfielder :grin:

.......and then we can all start again :lol:

Spot on by BB80. And let's not forget we also have Alessandra who will have ambitions of ending the season as a first choice 11 player, the names we have heard bandied about elsewhere are flights of fantasy to be anything other than a starting choice.

Now that would be funny. But the cynical side of me says F5 refresh on fishul for a purpose and its always released just after 16:00 hours isn't it :wink: unless its Patrick Berger......

Don't ever speak about Berger(What he did to Villa was disgraceful)

................ so after all the hype of who the new Striker is it's probably going to announced we signed the Midfielder :grin:

.......and then we can all start again :lol:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seemingly honest assessment from the Rovrum board:-

"Appears always to be on the brink of becoming a sensational player. You can see in the way he carries himself, in that slick little touch, in that neat little lay off, that any second now it's all going to click into place and he's going to be the business. After all he's big and athletic and reasonably quick.

Just hold on, it's going to happen...

any..

second...

now...

honest... those runs into a blind alley are going to turn into perfect bent runs into space, just hold on, please...

so, the question is, is he a really good player, who just needs to put it all together to be utterly brilliant, or is he actually fairly ordinary with the occasional misleading touch of quality?

That was the thought I had after his first game. After a season and a half of watching him, I'm not clearer as to the answer. He puts in a shift and he's scored some very good goals, but he's not shown himself to be the hold up player or a predator. He's been very effective at finding space starting wide and coming in, but hasn't made the most of it. He's too readily prepared to run to the corner flag when in the middle instead of scrapping to retain the ball.

But physically it's all there: tall, strong, athletic, quick. Skill-wise, he looks like he might have what it takes one minute and looks an utter cart-horse the next. His football brain seems one minute to be razor sharp, the next a blurry mess of obscurity.

You've acquired an enigma. He did nothing much for Rushden on loan; he's done ok for us. If he was 34 and on his 23rd club, you'd think he was an honest pro. Because he's 23, you sort of feel shortchanged by him as if he could be doing something spectacular if only "it" would click into place."[/i

Not too dissimilar to the comments eminating out f Gigg Lane when the Back Stabbing :censored:house that is Chris Porter signed for us.

Edited by oafcprozac

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seemingly honest assessment from the Rovrum board:-

"Appears always to be on the brink of becoming a sensational player. You can see in the way he carries himself, in that slick little touch, in that neat little lay off, that any second now it's all going to click into place and he's going to be the business. After all he's big and athletic and reasonably quick.

Just hold on, it's going to happen...

any..

second...

now...

honest... those runs into a blind alley are going to turn into perfect bent runs into space, just hold on, please...

so, the question is, is he a really good player, who just needs to put it all together to be utterly brilliant, or is he actually fairly ordinary with the occasional misleading touch of quality?

That was the thought I had after his first game. After a season and a half of watching him, I'm not clearer as to the answer. He puts in a shift and he's scored some very good goals, but he's not shown himself to be the hold up player or a predator. He's been very effective at finding space starting wide and coming in, but hasn't made the most of it. He's too readily prepared to run to the corner flag when in the middle instead of scrapping to retain the ball.

But physically it's all there: tall, strong, athletic, quick. Skill-wise, he looks like he might have what it takes one minute and looks an utter cart-horse the next. His football brain seems one minute to be razor sharp, the next a blurry mess of obscurity.

You've acquired an enigma. He did nothing much for Rushden on loan; he's done ok for us. If he was 34 and on his 23rd club, you'd think he was an honest pro. Because he's 23, you sort of feel shortchanged by him as if he could be doing something spectacular if only "it" would click into place."[/i

Not too dissimilar to the comments eminating out f Gigg Lane when the Back Stabbing :censored:house that is Chris Porter signed for us.

Sounds more like a Craig Davies to me.......Just sounds like Craig has shown more of the talent we know he has than Chris has to the Millers....

This is funnier...

If O Grady had been piloting the Millennium Falcon, the Empire wouldn't have needed to invest in a tractor beam.

They would have just needed to paint a touchline on the Deathstar...