New signing tomorrow

i wish fans could have a say in signings

be murder if fans had a say in signings.....i trust the management team to invest our backers money wisely,why wouldnt i.

but i dont see the point in paying a fee for a player who is no better than we have already at the club.....lewis and smalley have done brilliantly,can you imagine them not even getting on the bench next season because of this signing.....be a lot more people on here voicing there opinions about it.

so the midfielder maybe not everyones cup of tea.....if he is more well know and a proven quality why wouldnt the masses like it???

again i dont have a problem with it,providing there better than we already have,otherwise your just slamming the door on your own clubs talents comming through the ranks,and buying players for the sake of it.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little advice, don't read reviews, according to other fans when we've signed players;

Gregan was slagged off as a fat waster by Leeds fans

Porter wasn't good enough at a higher level by Bury fans

Butcher was a great talent by Lincoln fans

Tranmere fans laughed when we signed Ruben.

Exactly. We also had loads of great plaudits from Peterborough fans about Mark Arber. And of course nobody believed the Chesterfield fans when they were waxing lyrical about Mark Allott. We of course knew better from seeing him from afar a couple of times.

And how about the views of Oldham Fans as well about departing players?:-

Porter - "Money grabbing crock who can only score tap-ins."

Warne - "You will love him and he'll be your player of the Season."

Wellens - "Money grabbing waster who goes missing and will never get out of League One."

Roca - "We'll regret getting rid of him" (see also Kallum Higginbotham; Marcus Holness; Danny Hall etc.)

Ok so not the views of all of us. Similarly, not all Rotherham fans are negative about O'Grady.

I'd rather make up my own mind if he does actually sign for us.

i wish fans could have a say in signings

Would you have signed Reuben Hazell who was slagged off by the Trannies? How about Mark Allott who wasn't a popular choice amongst the Oldham fans when it was announced that he was returning? Perhaps you would also have turned down Paul Warne because the Rotherham fans while acknowledging that he worked hard, didn't think he scored enough goals. Sound familiar?

What about Craig Davies; Jason Jarrett; Ryan Bertrand; Stuart Giddings; Jordan Robertson etc? They may not all be permanent signings but they cost money to bring in. I'm guessing that you weren't too knowledgeable about them before they arrived at Boundary Park.

Personally, I'd prefer to trust the judgment and scouting networks of the team that the owners have put in place and entrusted to spend their money.

Oldham striker, bags of potential, might go iffy, might go on to be a top notch player. Oldham go into administration, players agent suggests he might do the off for free.

Now, regardlessof how you rated him yourself, how would you describe your impartial comments about the player's ability? I think I'd be inclined to call him a bad word, but that would be because I wished he still played for my club and I was bitter.

theres not 1 good review from a rotherham fan and his record speaks for itself why we are prepared to pay a fee for him is ridiculous. why not chase proven talent like keigan parker or grant holt

Keighan Parker and Grant Holt would probably be £3/4k a week in wages and they've hardly set the place alight at their respective clubs.

Grant Holt has been leaving Forest nearly all season and Parker can play when he feels like it. If they were both the quality we were looking for why would their respective clubs be gettin rid.

Trust Shez to make the right moves.....it's taken Forest three seasons to get out of this division and Leeds have been buying everybody in sight and look where it's got them.

So,today should hopefully bring another new player,assuming of course that the relevant paperwork can be completed within eight hours or so!

If Crusoe was on the mark with his initial information,this will be the first of two players(supposedly a striker,likely canddates mentioned elsewhere}leaving a midfielder whom Crusoe believes will not" WOW"everybody!

If today's signing fails to excite everyone.then it will be eventful to say the least when target number 2 is announced.

Eyes down,look in!! :D

A little advice, don't read reviews, according to other fans when we've signed players;

Gregan was slagged off as a fat waster by Leeds fans

Porter wasn't good enough at a higher level by Bury fans

Butcher was a great talent by Lincoln fans

Tranmere fans laughed when we signed Ruben.

Maybe Parker isn't the type of player Shez wants.

If only the rest of our fans were as positive as this! :wink:

We really do need a hammer hitting nail smilie - Coco has this absolutely spot on. What would the fan reviews of Gary Mac be? "Can be good player but goes missing?" "Only scores 'big' goals" "Too inconsistent" "Fantastic pro"? - A mixed bag, same as any player.

Parker by all accounts is a bit of a prat, he might score 10 a season but cause all sorts of nonsense at the club and disrupt the harmonious atmosphere and cause more harm than the 10 goals cause good. Holt too might have a big boy attitude, might even have a major dip in form if he thinks that he has blown his shot at the big time now Forest have been promoted and he has ended up only a few miles from Rochdale where he was a few years ago. He could become a right useless lump around the place.

O'Grady is a youngish kid with everything to prove, making a step up, wanting to make a good impression..etc..etc.. I am happy Shez would rather bring in potential than past-its.

No player would wow everyone. That goes for any club in the land at Championship level and below. Some on here don't even think Scholes would be any good for us! To be fair to those who are less than excited about the prospect of O'Grady arriving it's most likely down to his stats. Again it's fair to say that you'd hop these improved at Latics to be a stand out striker.

I think at division three teams such as Latics that not so long ago looked doomed coupled with being the 19th rank side last season in terms of attendence in the third division, wow signings are going to be hard to fund. That said this is football and many a great business man will tell you, when you get involved in a football club that business sense goes right out the window. As a fan of that football club it becomes the only club that matters and you want the best. No other team for me is bigger nor better than OAFC and that clouds sense I have in any other walk of life. I've worked self employed more than 10 years and in that time ran it successfully however, the same rules do not apply when it comes to hopes wants and aspirations regarding Latics.

Butcher was bobbins, so is Kalala currently but they never got booed by me, nor does the side when it's been utter crap. So if it's Wallwork he'll be a blue, if it's one of the kids that didn't quite make the grade at OT he'll be a blue. If he comes and goes and is a Clegg ill be pleased when he's left.

No player would wow everyone. That goes for any club in the land at Championship level and below. Some on here don't even think Scholes would be any good for us! To be fair to those who are less than excited about the prospect of O'Grady arriving it's most likely down to his stats. Again it's fair to say that you'd hop these improved at Latics to be a stand out striker.

I think at division three teams such as Latics that not so long ago looked doomed coupled with being the 19th rank side last season in terms of attendence in the third division, wow signings are going to be hard to fund. That said this is football and many a great business man will tell you, when you get involved in a football club that business sense goes right out the window. As a fan of that football club it becomes the only club that matters and you want the best. No other team for me is bigger nor better than OAFC and that clouds sense I have in any other walk of life. I've worked self employed more than 10 years and in that time ran it successfully however, the same rules do not apply when it comes to hopes wants and aspirations regarding Latics.

Butcher was bobbins, so is Kalala currently but they never got booed by me, nor does the side when it's been utter crap. So if it's Wallwork he'll be a blue, if it's one of the kids that didn't quite make the grade at OT he'll be a blue. If he comes and goes and is a Clegg ill be pleased when he's left.

Parker didn't do it at Championship level and for me isn't actually that prolific at this level. No one mentions the amount of shots he actually missed. If he was that good Leeds would have signed him.

Parker didn't do it at Championship level and for me isn't actually that prolific at this level. No one mentions the amount of shots he actually missed. If he was that good Leeds would have signed him.

parkers probably had one good season, and it happened to be the season blackpool got promoted, the reason why some fans wanted to sign him is because thay had heard of him and seen him play against latics,does not matter about reputation of whoring and drinking,and the fact he may cause unrest, the same problem they went crazy about ricketts causing last season.

latics fans have not seen o'grady play and that is why he is fighting a losing battle before he even signs with some of our fans.

i cant belive how many people are moaning about this kid, and its not 100% it is him thats signed, give it a break, he might suprise a few, bit like our own young players did last season

Dont know how people can slag off a player they havent seen!

We need a forward.

Hughes is qauility but may well have more injury problems ahead

Davies might be the real deal but isnt at the moment

Smalley did well but is hardly prolific

Wolfy isnt good enough in my opinion

O'Grady looks like everything you want in a young forward!!!

Dont know how people can slag off a player they havent seen!

We need a forward.

Hughes is qauility but may well have more injury problems ahead

Davies might be the real deal but isnt at the moment

Smalley did well but is hardly prolific

Wolfy isnt good enough in my opinion

O'Grady looks like everything you want in a young forward!!!

I agree, I think everyone is forgetting you cannot expect a third lead striker. It just doesn't happen.

Notice how I said lead not like some clubs that collect strikers so they have a bigger page on the Panini sticker album...

I don't think we can really judge him as yet, because if any of us are saying we've watched him for longer than 20 seconds on say the Championship Goals thing on Sunday, I'd call them a liar.

As long as we don't start punting the ball to him, then I'll be happy.

As long as we don't start punting the ball to him, then I'll be happy.

That's not likely to happen as O'Grady likes to forage wide, he's more similar to Grant Holt than Chris Porter.

Edited by BP1960

I agree, I think everyone is forgetting you cannot expect a third lead striker. It just doesn't happen.

Notice how I said lead not like some clubs that collect strikers so they have a bigger page on the Panini sticker album...

clubs that collect strikers do seem to have a habit of going up

Welcome to Latics Chris and all the best!

The one disappointing aspect of this signing is that Lewis gets pushed down the pecking order when I thought he could become a first team regular this year, but he is still young and has a 3 year deal so he still has time to make an impact. Smalley won't be affected as badly because he can play on the right as well and I can see Wolfy being either loaned out or sold in this off-season.

It will be good to see if O'Grady can put pressure on Hughes and Davies for a starting place or if he could become an impact player from the bench.

I don't see it as Lewis being pushed down the pecking order. For me I would be building the whole team around him, best young player I have ever seen at Latics, touch, control, strength, vision, pace, skills to pay the bills, swagger, a bit of arrogance and a killer instinct. I think if him and Davies could get a partnership then we would be lethal.

It might make more sense to start with Hughes and Davies and use Lewis from the bench for the first few months of the season - or even as a three. If we come up against a team with giants at the back as we often do in this league then o'Grady' could be the player we have been crying out for, he could win the physical battle and Davies, Hughes, Lewis or even Wolfie just needs to finish.

At times over the past two seasons we have become too one dimensional, when we have played well we have played some lovely passing football but lacked the killer instinct to put teams to the sword. When we have played badly we have had a lot of the ball but not done anything with it. I think we now have options up front and can even live with an injury or two, plus all of the strikers will have to be on their toes as I bet that ball will be flying in to the net in training, if they don't come up with the goods on Saturday then they won't have the shirt.

To clarify once again on this midfielder - I was told we were after him but he may choose to sign for a Championship club. My source was keen but not massively hopeful, so don't expect too much. If he does sign elsewhere I'll post on here to confirm who it was (if I remember).

I don't see it as Lewis being pushed down the pecking order. For me I would be building the whole team around him, best young player I have ever seen at Latics, touch, control, strength, vision, pace, skills to pay the bills, swagger, a bit of arrogance and a killer instinct. I think if him and Davies could get a partnership then we would be lethal.

Give over you blert!

He has promise but Harrison was leagues ahead of him so far as prodigious talent goes. So were Goram and Gorton in their teens.

Don't tell me you are one of those new fans that only arrived in the 90's FFS!!!! Beag out!!!!

KtF,

Derek.