Rochdale game in danger?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some claim Saddleworth is in Yorkshire, but Yorkshire is not in the North West - whereas Lancashire and Saddleworth certainly is.

Yet Saddleworth is is much nearer to Huddersfield which is not in the North West, than Lancaster, which is in the North West.

Nearby Stalybridge is in Cheshire which is the North West, but nearby Glossop is in Derbyshire and Derby is in the East Midlands, both are closer than Lancaster which is the North West.

Rochdale is near to Halifax, which is not in the North West, but in the East rather than the North East.

My conclusion therefore is that Rochdale is in no mans land, and it's no wonder they have an identity crisis in Saddleworth. :blink:

Simple - it there are Pennines to the East, West or South of you, and you are in England, you are in the North.

If there are Pennines to the East of you, you are in the Northwest.

Pennines to the West of you, seek medical and moral attention immediately.

Pennines to the South of you, you live in the Extreme North, a sub-section of the North

Pennine to the North of you, but still close enough for you to be attempting to meddle in our classification process, and the Great Midlander Slaughter is looming large on your horizon.

I hope this resolves in confusion.

latest weather report 12.40 - from outside Globe pub in wardle - just stopped raining and looking bright - time to pop in globe and start the build up to tonights goalfest - get the beers lashing down not the rain ! come on you bluuueeesss !!!

But is that the North West weather forecast ? :grin:

latest weather report 12.40 - from outside Globe pub in wardle - just stopped raining and looking bright - time to pop in globe and start the build up to tonights goalfest - get the beers lashing down not the rain ! come on you bluuueeesss !!!

Yes the weather correspondant can confirm is not raining in Milnrow either and looking much brighter. I just popped into Rochdale at lunch time and the other thing to report is that there are already a number of Latics fans there.

Looks like it's gonna be messy! :drinking:

I appreciate your grin, but for the avoidance of doubt, no it's in South East Lancashire - Greater Manchester local government area was created in 1974 and abolisehed in 1986, but the misconception will continue unless we correct it at every opportunity. :grin:

Thanks for clearing that up and should anyone mention Gtr Manchester to me I shall put them right even though we still have Greater Manchester Police and not South East Lancashire Police!

Shhhhh!!! Lets not get people going again. We will never here the end of it! :unsure::unsure::unsure:

Hopefully this will be the last word lol. The answer actually is that Oldham exists both in the “historic” county of Lancashire and in the “ceremonial” county of Greater Manchester.

Oldham was part of the historic county of Lancashire. In the 70’s it became part of the “administrative” area Greater Manchester County Council. This was just an administrative area and the historic council was never abolished. In 86 the County Council was abolished and Oldham became a Unitary council i.e. it ran itself. However, Greater Manchester continues to be a ceremonial county (which Oldham is a part) and Lancashire is ceremonial and administrative county. However the ceremonial county of greater Manchester (in most parts) lies within the historic county of Lancashire whereas some parts of the ceremonial and administrative county of Lancashire lie outside of the historic county.

Whats your point ? Im right :)

You never heard of a radar telescope before ? :D

Nice try Diego :D

My tour guide in Beijing said a Chinese astronaut saw The Great Wall when he was in space so it must be true... :grin:

Next, people will be seeing that Virgin's future trips to "space" are bogus...

"If you believe they put a man on the moon..." R.E.M.

No not this debate again we are in greater Manchester and we used to be in Lancashire but then changed the boundaries and thats the truth

bullox....oldham is in lancashire....no such thing as greater manchester....its either manchester or its not,and there certainly isnt anything great about it.

Oh yes, I almost forgot, somebody who has only posted on here 8 times since last December told me to get a life!

A wonderful piece of irony there Diego (although i expect it's passed you by)

Now :censored: off, you're increasing my average and it's impinging on my life.

A wonderful piece of irony there Diego (although i expect it's passed you by)

Now :censored: off, you're increasing my average and it's impinging on my life.

Charming! I only write 'em, you're the mug who keeps reading 'em. Why keep boring yourself rigid and stopping yourself increasing your number of interesting posts?

Neither irony nor sarcasm is an argument. If you think that someone who has the time to post regularly cannot possibly still have a life you are deluding yourself.