Rochdale game in danger?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I've pointed out before, it's simple really. Look at the map and Oldham is neither in the North nor the West. It's always described as the North West, but this is erroneous. See the link spouting about it being in the North West and then look at the map, which contradicts the text. The two bits on the top left are the North West, the two on the top right are the Nrth East. The bottom right is the South East and the bottom left the South West. that leaves the three bits in the middle as the Midlands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_West_England

When the Met Office weather forecaster talks about the North West on TV, he/she points at the area North and South of the Lake District. When they talk about Oldham and Rochdale they refer to it as the foothills of the Pennines

haha what the bejesus are you talking about man?

1) Anyone who uses Wikipedia to make a point, should be given short shrift.

2) When you do use it to make a point, at least make sure it actually backs you up - it clearly states that Greater Manchester is in the south of the North West.

3) This whole arguement is daft, because last time i checked weather systems had no respect for political boundaries.

:comeon:

As I've pointed out before, it's simple really. Look at the map and Oldham is neither in the North nor the West. It's always described as the North West, but this is erroneous. See the link spouting about it being in the North West and then look at the map, which contradicts the text. The two bits on the top left are the North West, the two on the top right are the Nrth East. The bottom right is the South East and the bottom left the South West. that leaves the three bits in the middle as the Midlands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_West_England

When the Met Office weather forecaster talks about the North West on TV, he/she points at the area North and South of the Lake District. When they talk about Oldham and Rochdale they refer to it as the foothills of the Pennines

Fair enough but, I'm sorry Diego, I won't be telling anyone I'm from the Midlands! :grin: It's bad enough saying "near Manchester" and they reply... "Oh so you must like Manchester U****d then" :disappointed:

Well, here in the North Midlands (Royton) it's persisting it down at 6.45am.

The game in the small town north of Wolverhampton (Rochdale, to be precise) must be in doubt because:

1) Rochdale's pitch has drainage as bad as my back garden

2) It has been exacerbated by the tears of Dale fans since their 27th May defeat at Wembley, a posh ground somewhere in Southern France

3) Rochdale do have more games called off than any other team

Well, here in the North Midlands (Royton) it's persisting it down at 6.45am.

The game in the small town north of Wolverhampton (Rochdale, to be precise) must be in doubt because:

1) Rochdale's pitch has drainage as bad as my back garden

2) It has been exacerbated by the tears of Dale fans since their 27th May defeat at Wembley, a posh ground somewhere in Southern France

3) Rochdale do have more games called off than any other team

LOL

It's certaintly not the Cote D'Azur here in Kent this morning.

And unfortunately, it is reminiscent of a Brazilian rain forest rather then the CopaCabana

haha what the bejesus are you talking about man?

1) Anyone who uses Wikipedia to make a point, should be given short shrift.

2) When you do use it to make a point, at least make sure it actually backs you up - it clearly states that Greater Manchester is in the south of the North West.

3) This whole arguement is daft, because last time i checked weather systems had no respect for political boundaries.

:comeon:

If you read my whole post instead of every other word you would appreciate that I was agreeing with you about Wikipedia. It states clearly that Oldham is in the North West, because that is the popular misconception. Then it shows a map of the North West which does not include Oldham and Rochdae. I also wrote about Met Ofice regional boundaries, not political ones.

Keep up!

BTW Diego

Am pretty sure that Rochdale is not in the North East, East, Midlands South East, South, South West, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland.

So what are we decided on?

It'sa toss up between WestNorth West and North West by West?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Compass_Card.png

MAybe we should do a poll!

The popular misconceptions are that Oldham is in the West and Leeds is in the East, and so people say that Leeds should not have been included in the North West Masters, but that was just a matter of how Sky split up the competition. Clearly Blackpool is in the West and Scarborough is in the East. Oldham and Rochdale are more central than Blacjkpool and Scarborough. They are also much further South than Carlisle and Newcastle.

So we have deduced that Oldham and Rochdale are in that middle band which starts at about Skipton and goes down to Oxford. In that band some places are in the West like Chester and some in the East like Skegness. Oldham and Rochdale are West of centre but not in the West. I hesitate to say North Midlands, but they are both in the Northern part of the middle band of the country.

Hope that has made it crystal clear. B)

The popular misconceptions are that Oldham is in the West and Leeds is in the East, and so people say that Leeds should not have been included in the North West Masters, but that was just a matter of how Sky split up the competition. Clearly Blackpool is in the West and Scarborough is in the East. Oldham and Rochdale are more central than Blacjkpool and Scarborough. They are also much further South than Carlisle and Newcastle.

So we have deduced that Oldham and Rochdale are in that middle band which starts at about Skipton and goes down to Oxford. In that band some places are in the West like Chester and some in the East like Skegness. Oldham and Rochdale are West of centre but not in the West. I hesitate to say North Midlands, but they are both in the Northern part of the middle band of the country.

Hope that has made it crystal clear. B)

Yawn.

Lets hope it misses us, Rochdales pitch is awful at dealing with heavy rain.

Having clarified the geographical urban misconceptions, let's get back to the point of this thread - scaremongering by questioning whether the match may be called off.

New drains have been installed under the Spotland pitch during the summer, so everything should be OK.

http://www.rochdaleafc.premiumtv.co.uk/pag...1360234,00.html

I also posted this last week, but does anyone take any notice of what I write (apart from otid) - no, do they bollox! B)

Having clarified the geographical urban misconceptions, let's get back to the point of this thread - scaremongering by questioning whether the match may be called off.

New drains have been installed under the Spotland pitch during the summer, so everything should be OK.

http://www.rochdaleafc.premiumtv.co.uk/pag...1360234,00.html

I also posted this last week, but does anyone take any notice of what I write (apart from otid) - no, do they bollox! B)

Scaremongering? or informing Tics of the Met office warning?

WOW is this the most pointless debate every :)

I think the majority of people in the country view the likes of Oldham, Rochdale and Manchester as being in the North West and I think im happy to go with the majority opinion on this one :)

It's only the most pointless debate since last time we had the same debate about twelve months ago.

Under Tony Blair's Education, Education, Education initiatives, I aim to correct popular misconceptions, such as this one and the one which says you can see the Great Wall of Chia from the moon.

Some people choose to ignore the facts - ignorance is bliss. :blink:

Debate, surely people did not take this as serious debate?I think the term whoosh might therefore be appropriate..!

hope this may be considered as fact. Just spoken to the lass in the Dale ticket office and she says it's only drizzle there (must be because it's not in the North West) and she has spoken to the groundsman when she got in this morning and he said it is draining well and there is to be no inspection.