The official Neal Eardley is below average thread

As for last night we got beat by a superior CHAMPIONSHIP side, to single out certain players after last nights game is stupid.

The way I see it, is frustration. Frustration because this supposed 'superior' Championship side was there for the taking IMO. Had we gone there a bit more positively tactically we'd have either a) run them close or B) actually turned them over. A lame 0-3 defeat tastes a tad bitter for me in the manner in which we lost and the completely bobbins tactics we opted to use, and continued with even though it was plain to see (even for David Blunkett) that it was never going to work.

It's frustration because Burnley were never once made to work hard to get the victory. And its frustration because it's one competition which you don't have to work too hard at to make good progress. In the past many Division 2 and 3 teams have reached the late stages of and brought in vital unbudgeted revenue so to treat it with contempt and 'concentrate on the league' isn't really on in my eyes. And probably not Simon Corney's either come to think of it.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oa_exile
I'm not saying he's a bad player, but I just think Lomax is a far more steady and assured player than Eardley is.

I also see that Shez keeps Lomax on a tighter leash , for an example :

He does not let him go too far forward and shouts him back when he see's him moving out of position.

Lid's also does this at times with Eardley.

What i am trying to say is that Shez seem's to control Lomax more than Eardley.

The way I see it, is frustration. Frustration because this supposed 'superior' Championship side was there for the taking IMO. Had we gone there a bit more positively tactically we'd have either a) run them close or B) actually turned them over. A lame 0-3 defeat tastes a tad bitter for me in the manner in which we lost and the completely bobbins tactics we opted to use, and continued with even though it was plain to see (even for David Blunkett) that it was never going to work.

It's frustration because Burnley were never once made to work hard to get the victory. And its frustration because it's one competition which you don't have to work too hard at to make good progress. In the past many Division 2 and 3 teams have reached the late stages of and brought in vital unbudgeted revenue so to treat it with contempt and 'concentrate on the league' isn't really on in my eyes. And probably not Simon Corney's either come to think of it.

Just for clarity sake. So what you are saying is that on the night during the game Burnley were the better team and won due to it. However in your opinion if Latics had kept the same successful formation used recently we could have run them close or been winners?

Just for clarity sake. So what you are saying is that on the night during the game Burnley were the better team and won due to it. However in your opinion if Latics had kept the same successful formation used recently we could have run them close or been winners?

I don't think Burnley were a better team per se, they didn't have to work very hard to beat us. Yes, if we had played with a formation with 2 up front, or even changed to that formation after seeing in the first 10 minutes it was awful then we would have either run them close or been winners.

Then we agree other than I will say on the nights performance they were the better team. It would be interesting to play them again in the FA Cup this season using the formation the board seem to be in general agreement about and see what happens. ie whether due to us having a presence up top will dissipate the time and space in the middle to play football Burnley enjoyed.

I was all for the change in personel last night, but not necessarily the change in formation. Paterson made a huge difference to Burnley and a lot of championship defences are going to struggle to contain him. I've not been overly impressed with Kevin Maher yet, and last night some players were a bit unsure of their jobs, having Maher, Allott and Whitaker in midfield seemed to be a bit overcrowded.

As for the Eardley debate, well everyone thought he was a top class player in his first season, and yes his distribution has been poor, but he's still young and he's far from the finished product. I don't suppose for a minute he's happy with his form at the moment - in an ideal world we should be backing him not getting on his back, but for some reason some fans need a player to target and blame everything on them.

IMHO Sheridan made mistakes last night, both with the formation and leaving it too late to change it, but he gets applauded and fans chanted his name, Lee Hughes should've scored, but gets hero worshipped, Chris Taylor's shooting (amongst others) was well off but he (and the others) got encouraged to keep trying, yet Eardley's mistakes are singled out for special treatment.

Guest oa_exile
.....yet Eardley's mistakes are singled out for special treatment.

You have probably been going long enough to know that their HAS to be a scapegoat in every match we play win or lose.

Last night it just happened to be Eardley's turn.

You have probably been going long enough to know that their HAS to be a scapegoat in every match we play win or lose.

Last night it just happened to be Eardley's turn.

Yes, we've done Gregan, Stam, Eardley, Norm and Davies so far. That's one a game.

Can we do Allesandra next, that kids got it coming to him

Edited by OldhamSheridan

it would be ok if eardley played consistently decent and then had the odd crap game no one would have a go, but the ones who are including myself, have/are doing so because he has been consistently poor in the basic aspects of his game which are needed when defending ie positioning/distribution and having a general arrogant body language all the time.

next game at home/away whenever you may next go, just take a few moments to watch eardley without any premediatated opinions and just watch what he does. As ive said im not out to have a go at any players especially younger ones in the team but my rant over eardley is having watched him over a long period of time and observing that he just doesn't do what a defender, indeed a supposed international player, should do and this always inhibits the team play. Watch him and try telling me that he does, to a decent standard, show the attributes of a decent fullback - i know when lomax has been there he definately has.

Try Lomax in his proper position of RB (you notice that when having to defend lomax has to turn his back in order to face the man with his favoured foot) and get a LB in or ffs play Paul Black (he is a LB Shez if you didnt know) and im sure you will see a marked improvement in the defending over on that right side.

Anyway these are my opinions and you can of course agree or disgree, thats my say on eardley done for the next month! :D

Edited by saddylatic

I think we're all aware what Eards is capable of, which makes it all the more frustrating when he has a game like he did last night.

Unfortunately Eards can be very inconsistent, which was a problem Ratboy used to have in his first spell with us. Allott has shown wonderful consistency in the last 12 months, and we can only hope Eards does the same soon - he's got enough experience under his belt now.

What irritates me about him is his inability to put himself in a position to receive a pass from a player under pressure. Last night on numerous occasions he had an opposing player between him and the ball (Find space Eards! - if you position players in simple triangles you'll always have 2 options to release to. A la Arsenal).

He isn't the finished article by a long shout - that's why no serious offers have come in from any of the several clubs that have watched him, but he is capable of reaching a much better standard with the right coaching.

I just worry about how long it's taking him to learn.

i just dont see how championship clubs are supposedly interested in the lad. He is a liablility

So what your'e saying is The Welsh FA, Premiership scouts, Championship scouts, and our backroom staff are clueless.......as has been said previously there was no need for this topic in the first place!!!

He is a young lad with plenty to learn but one hell of a prospect...leave the lad alone!!!

Just to add a different slant, and I really rate Eardley, think he is a crackiing and underated young player, a plyer whom everyone forgets is still learning the game...

BUT... as I have said many times before, decent right-backs are easily available, and at this level are easily replaceable... my comment is this... after a certain TTA members statement on monday... Simon Corney holds a gun against your head and says we have to sell someone tomorrow... and you have to pick... who do you go for...???

Chris Taylor (for £750k)

Lee Hughes (for £750k)

Deane Smalley (£500k)

Neal Eardley (£1.5m)

Tell you what, i'd be packing Eardley's bags and buying him a train ticket before he finished the question...

Not that he is a bad player... however in terms of whom I value in the team he is well down the order...

So what your'e saying is The Welsh FA, Premiership scouts, Championship scouts, and our backroom staff are clueless.......as has been said previously there was no need for this topic in the first place!!!

He is a young lad with plenty to learn but one hell of a prospect...leave the lad alone!!!

:applause1:

When, not if, Eardley signs a 3 year 8grand a week contract with a premgreed team, i doubt he'd give twohoots about some of the tripe said about him, by some of our "experts!"

Edited by futchers briefs

IMHO Eardley cant find a blue shirt, most of the hoofball comes from him, his positioning is bad, but - he makes good overlapping runs (that lomax rarely does) and when he gets to the by line puts in a good cross. (As seen on saturday) I think he's a winger - not a full back. And if he was on the wing, he'd look a better player.