So who still thinks that Stam is better than Gregan?

I've seen a few comments on here in the last couple of weeks suggesting that Stefan should be in the team in front of our Captain.

Although I like Stam, I hope that tonight has shown that he is not on the same planet, never mind the same pitch as Greagan.

Cheers,

Harry

Well, to be honest Harry, I still like Stam as a player, but he really is struggling for match and general fitness. Stam pre injuries would be my choice, but I just wonder if he's had one injury too many.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody who 'claims' Gregan is better than Stam is not giving an opinion, they are stating a fact.

Anybody who claims Stam is better than Gregan is either a wind-up merchant, female or simply deranged.

Stam is a decent centre half, but to say he is better than Greegs is like saying O'Grady is better than Hughes.

Edited by Stitch_KTF

I've said for a while now about greegan and lidds aswell! although I think they're both quite slow and can be quite lazy, I noticed last night how much of an asset they wer to the team!

sorry stam but

"who needs stefan

we got greegan!"

Anybody who 'claims' Gregan is better than Stam is not giving an opinion, they are stating a fact.

Anybody who claims Stam is better than Gregan is either a wind-up merchant, female or simply deranged.

Stam is a decent centre half, but to say he is better than Greegs is like saying O'Grady is better than Hughes.

Ah, it must be nice to live in a black and white world of certainties. I wish I was there. Yes, Stam is better looking and no, when he bends over,we don't fear that the sun has gone forever. Stam was (past tense) a very good centre back when he first joined us. A much better footballer than his bigger boned replacement. Alas, those days may be gone forever.

Ah, it must be nice to live in a black and white world of certainties. I wish I was there. Yes, Stam is better looking and no, when he bends over,we don't fear that the sun has gone forever. Stam was (past tense) a very good centre back when he first joined us. A much better footballer than his bigger boned replacement. Alas, those days may be gone forever.

Funny how many players seem to slip through the net whilst brutes like Greegs captain premiership teams and attain hero status at more than one club, isn't it maam? And despite Gregans age it looks as though it's still happening, poor Stammy......

I've said for a while now about greegan and lidds aswell! although I think they're both quite slow and can be quite lazy, I noticed last night how much of an asset they wer to the team!

sorry stam but

"who needs stefan

we got greegan!"

Join the club....it's surprisingly small but certainly distinguished.

Excellent post, very true and made me laugh. :lol:

:lol: Totally agree :lol:

For the effect of balance....I remember how Gregan destroyed the confidence of the back 4 the season before last. Possibly costing us a chance in the playoffs, along with Gregan's lovers-tiff with Parker. I rate both Stam and Gregan and do so probably quite equally. For different reasons. Stam last season went off-form, while Gregan cut out his 05/06 bullying antics (blaming everyone for his mistakes) most likely due to Crossley being about and after several dodgy early games, Gregan put in some good ones. Like Leeds at home (except the first 4 minutes where he messed about with the ball, lost it and got booked).

However, I'm the type who when a players in the shirt, he is there until he doesn't deserve it any longer IMO. So far, it's Gregan over Stam. I've applied this elsewhere regarding Lids lately (although I'd prefer to see Smalley, Lids is producing more goods now...ie. moving us forward in attacks...than last season and doesn't warrant being dropped despite my preference for Smalley over the 2 players.) But as I say, between Stam and Greegs, the two are very much the same (not in style) in how confident I am with them in the side. And thus, Greegs has the place at present. Only Hazell is immovable at present IMO.

Edited by boundaryblue80

For the effect of balance....I remember how Gregan destroyed the confidence of the back 4 the season before last. Possibly costing us a chance in the playoffs, along with Gregan's lovers-tiff with Parker. I rate both Stam and Gregan and do so probably quite equally. For different reasons. Stam last season went off-form, while Gregan cut out his 05/06 bullying antics (blaming everyone for his mistakes) most likely due to Crossley being about and after several dodgy early games, Gregan put in some good ones. Like Leeds at home (except the first 4 minutes where he messed about with the ball, lost it and got booked).

However, I'm the type who when a players in the shirt, he is there until he doesn't deserve it any longer IMO. So far, it's Gregan over Stam. I've applied this elsewhere regarding Lids lately (although I'd prefer to see Smalley, Lids is producing more goods now...ie. moving us forward in attacks...than last season and doesn't warrant being dropped despite my preference for Smalley over the 2 players.) But as I say, between Stam and Greegs, the two are very much the same (not in style) in how confident I am with them in the side. And thus, Greegs has the place at present. Only Hazell is immovable at present IMO.

Quite a balanced view there BB. Obviously we will continue to disagree on the merits of the two. What we both agree on though is that the 2 are more than capable at this level. I suppose really if we are making comparisons, it should be with previous years players, so to rephrase my OP maybe I should say I would rather have Gregan and Stam/Hazell than say for arguments sake Garnett and !!!! No. Lets not go there. :wink:

Still think though that Gregan will make less mistakes that cost goals and that is the important difference between staying down and going up/reaching the playoffs.

After a slow start, Hazell is getting back to his form of last season.

Your also right about players in possession of the shirt. I have over the 3 years been a Lids fan as his stats have, when he has been fit, been consistent. In truth I did wonder with his 2 major injuries during the 3 years whether Shez would release him at the end of last season. At the start of the season I did not see him figuring regularly and that might still be the case over the course of the season. However, he has shown what a true profesional he is and at the moment as you say deserves the shirt. He certainly sets a good example to our up and coming youngsters and appears to be well worth his new contract.

Cheers,

Harry

Gregan and Hughes are our two most important players by a country mile apiece. We don't let many in when Gregan plays and he brings the ball out intelligently and with skill when the option arises, giving a foundation for us to play proper football on the ground. Hughes scores goals that nobody else would score, terrifies defences into sitting back and making mistakes and lifts the whole team.

Apologies but I can't remember who it was that had a chat with Zebedee after he'd left us, but I recall that he said we'd have made the play off no problem if we'd kept the experienced players fit. Count Lids in for that as well.

Harry,

I dare not show this topic to my wife otherwise you shall never, ever again be allowed to darken my doorstep.

In reply to the original post, my OPINION, is that Greegs is consistantly better than Stam but Stefan never has and never will let us down when Shez needs him

Fer Christs sake!

Yes, Stam had a bad game (Actually, a stinker for those who cared to watch), but that's no reason to get on his back with pointless comparisons to Gregan.

Gregan has had more than his fair share of bad games, and Stam has looked the classier of the two on quite a few occasions.

Bad games happen - quite a few players were under par against Burnley - but can we not put that down to formation and selection errors by JS, and just hope that we are back on track for Saturday?

We have two different CB's out there - both capable of doing a job, and both capable of having a mare - comparing the two isn't fair on them.

I've seen a few comments on here in the last couple of weeks suggesting that Stefan should be in the team in front of our Captain.

Although I like Stam, I hope that tonight has shown that he is not on the same planet, never mind the same pitch as Greagan.

Cheers,

Harry

It's all about form - stam had an awesome game the other week and was VERY solid all of last season - he looked unhappy on the ball last night against two big and pacy strikers and with no support from our supposed 5th midfielder (no-one tracked back half the time) but that's natural. I think Greegs would've been more imposing but wouldv'e been shown up for pace on a good few occasions last night. Before Greegs was crocked last season he was having a shocker. Both decent players in my book, bit of a different style but i'm happy they both pull latics shirts on

This really is a pointless argument!!!

They are DIFFERENT!!! They might both be centre-halves but they are different. Gregan has his faults and so has Stam. It's like trying to compare Jack Charlton with Bobby Moore - same position but different players.

The blame should not lie at Stam's feet for the Burnley performance but at Shez. A bit of forward planning regarding team selection may have resulted in Stam having a runout against Cheltenham when the game was sewn up at 4-0 and getting up to speed for first team duties.

This really is a pointless argument!!!

They are DIFFERENT!!! They might both be centre-halves but they are different. Gregan has his faults and so has Stam. It's like trying to compare Jack Charlton with Bobby Moore - same position but different players.

A Rolls Royce is different to a Citroen but I know which is better and which id prefer......besides, I don think anybody has suggested Greegs and Stam are the same :grin:

Psychological analysist of the back 4 that season were you? I hope you gave the members Greegs was so nasty to all the therapy they deserved.....

Gregan and Hughes are our two most important players by a country mile apiece. We don't let many in when Gregan plays and he brings the ball out intelligently and with skill when the option arises, giving a foundation for us to play proper football on the ground. Hughes scores goals that nobody else would score, terrifies defences into sitting back and making mistakes and lifts the whole team.

Apologies but I can't remember who it was that had a chat with Zebedee after he'd left us, but I recall that he said we'd have made the play off no problem if we'd kept the experienced players fit. Count Lids in for that as well.

Hooray.

The blame should not lie at Stam's feet for the Burnley performance but at Shez. A bit of forward planning regarding team selection may have resulted in Stam having a runout against Cheltenham when the game was sewn up at 4-0 and getting up to speed for first team duties.

I think everyone need to take the blame...

The formation was poor...dont agree about the team selection... I dont want us risking are main players in a cup match when promotion is the main aim this term...

But Stam played a stinker (from the reports I have read) and needs to take his share of the blame...

To put it all on one person is very rarely fair....

I think everyone need to take the blame...

The formation was poor...dont agree about the team selection... I dont want us risking are main players in a cup match when promotion is the main aim this term...

But Stam played a stinker (from the reports I have read) and needs to take his share of the blame...

To put it all on one person is very rarely fair....

sorry to upset a few on here but the facts are,gregans a better header,passer,tackler,reader of the game,more skillful ,by far the better all round player,

A better analogy would be a Transit van for Gregan (big, dependable plodder) and anything from the TVR range for Stam (looks the part and can do the business when not broken down).

You see I was thinking of the Rolls Royce as a luxury.....dominating and classy, and Citroen as a cheap yet cheerful back-up, if a little prone to breaking down.

Shez clearly prefers to leave his 'TVR' in the garage and drive around in his Transit. :wink:

I think Gregan is more a Bentley Arnage - big, and powerful,has a presence and gets through whereas Stam is more of a Porsche 911 great fun, a bit posey and subject to oil leaks, dodgy electrics and if its a C2 will cause you an issue on most journeys(handling dodgier than Jon Keeley)