hughes injured again?

22 Substitution

Oldham substitution: Lee Hughes replaced by Lewis Alessandra (injury).

From the Beeb... :(

CAn someone text someone to see how bad it is?

Looked like his groin again, a silly decision to play him tonight IMO and have O'Grady on the bench.

Stam (Eardley went to centre back) and Smalley also injured now.

Edited by BP1960

Looked like his groin again, a silly decision to play him tonight IMO and have O'Grady on the bench.

Stam (Eardley went to centre back) and Smalley also injured now.

Heard from a good source. Hughes has a slight tear 2-3 weeks, Greegs struggling for Saturday and Stam 2-3 weeks too. Big risk in playinmg him imo (Hughesy)

This is so not :censored: ing funny. Too mess him up in the most meaningless game of the season is :censored: ing stupid.

This game may well cost us the better part of twenty points this season if his groin has gone.

I didn't realise that players were more susceptible to injury in the JPT. Surely he could have tweaked his groin after 22 minutes of the Tranmere match too?

At the end of the day, this was just 1 game from a season of 50. I'm sure that Hughes wanted to play and fancied himself to pick up a couple of goals (should've been at least 1). I'd also hazard a guess that Shez's intention was to play him against inferior opposition for 45 / 60 minutes with Davies to see if the old magic was there, with the intention of starting them both on Saturday.

For me, O'Grady does not look quite ready for a season in League One, although I'm sure that with hard work he'll soon put this right. Allesandra too has not yet (Millwall apart) shown us what he is capable of and seems a little off the pace. There's little doubt that the Davies / Hughes partnership is the one most likely to get us out of this division and therefore I can't argue with Shez's call tonight.

Incidentally, was anyone else disappointed that our 2 front men didn't hit the target with their penalties? I think some time on the training ground with old man Liddell wouldn't go amiss.

I didn't realise that players were more susceptible to injury in the JPT. Surely he could have tweaked his groin after 22 minutes of the Tranmere match too?

At the end of the day, this was just 1 game from a season of 50. I'm sure that Hughes wanted to play and fancied himself to pick up a couple of goals (should've been at least 1). I'd also hazard a guess that Shez's intention was to play him against inferior opposition for 45 / 60 minutes with Davies to see if the old magic was there, with the intention of starting them both on Saturday.

For me, O'Grady does not look quite ready for a season in League One, although I'm sure that with hard work he'll soon put this right. Allesandra too has not yet (Millwall apart) shown us what he is capable of and seems a little off the pace. There's little doubt that the Davies / Hughes partnership is the one most likely to get us out of this division and therefore I can't argue with Shez's call tonight.

Incidentally, was anyone else disappointed that our 2 front men didn't hit the target with their penalties? I think some time on the training ground with old man Liddell wouldn't go amiss.

Finally, someone sees it from a sensible perspective.

Players are not more susceptible to injury in the JPT, that is not the point.

The point is Hughes should not have been playing in that match (a meaningless, worthless practice match) he has had injury problems and is far more fragile than most players at the club as well as being far more important to the team than most players at the club.

Your right he could get have got injured against Tranmere after 10 or 80 minutes but as he got injured unnecessarily last night we will never know.

Sometimes common sense should prevail.

Players are not more susceptible to injury in the JPT, that is not the point.

The point is Hughes should not have been playing in that match (a meaningless, worthless practice match)

Hughesy still needs fitness and practice, as has been posted in many threads. Surely 45 minutes against Morecambe should have been a great opportunity to practice and build confidence?

Without fitness building games like these, he is being thrown into full blown competition every game, which could much more easily lead to disaster.

Unless he isn't injured at all and he only played as he was one of the 6. Gregan, Liddell, Crossley & Taylor were rightly rested, that means that we had to have one more first teamer starting which left Hughes then he fakes an injury to stop the FA or whoever getting sniffy about the first-half sub and pops up to score a brace against the fake scousers on Saturday.

Hopefully.

Unless he isn't injured at all and he only played as he was one of the 6. Gregan, Liddell, Crossley & Taylor were rightly rested, that means that we had to have one more first teamer starting which left Hughes then he fakes an injury to stop the FA or whoever getting sniffy about the first-half sub and pops up to score a brace against the fake scousers on Saturday.

Hopefully.

That thought did cross my mind - we can only hope Shez is being cute there.

Hughesy still needs fitness and practice, as has been posted in many threads. Surely 45 minutes against Morecambe should have been a great opportunity to practice and build confidence?

Without fitness building games like these, he is being thrown into full blown competition every game, which could much more easily lead to disaster.

After a good nights sleep to get the expletives out of my system, I suppose I agree, we could be sitting here after winning 5-0 and hughesy getting a first half hat-trick... which perhaps he was on target to do... he does need games, I know people think he is up to full form but he isnt, he is still getting both his fitness and his full sharpness back... and that was a perfect match to help...

... but its just our frigging luck that it all flares back up in our face, and we are left screwed for the next 2 weeks - without greegs and hughes I dont give us much hope on saturday, or is that just my pessimistic side kicking in? It would really, really, p*ss me off if everything we have started this season falls apart because of last night.... but hey, thats football....

... oh well.... but hey, its like watching the Lions - dont think bloody much of our midweek team! :wink:

Hopefully.

Oooh, I like this... that has cheered me up....

Got me thinking aswell... what if we had got to the later rounds last year, 14 players injured - how the frig would we play '6 of our first team' if they are all sat in the treatment room...

Bloody stupid rule....

Oooh, I like this... that has cheered me up....

Got me thinking aswell... what if we had got to the later rounds last year, 14 players injured - how the frig would we play '6 of our first team' if they are all sat in the treatment room...

Bloody stupid rule....

But you don't have to feign injury. You can just sub them. There is no rule against it.

The simple thing is, Hughes won't play the full season as he'll get little niggling injuries, he was trouncing teams at the moment, so why play him? This was so stupid it is unbelievable. Even if he wasn't injured and scored twenty goals in a twentyone goal thriller it would still be a complete dickhead decision. He's the one player I would have out first. I actually can't think of anything Sheridan has got more wrong than this. It was that simple.

But you don't have to feign injury. You can just sub them. There is no rule against it.

The simple thing is, Hughes won't play the full season as he'll get little niggling injuries, he was trouncing teams at the moment, so why play him? This was so stupid it is unbelievable. Even if he wasn't injured and scored twenty goals in a twentyone goal thriller it would still be a complete dickhead decision. He's the one player I would have out first. I actually can't think of anything Sheridan has got more wrong than this. It was that simple.

I don't know, but there must be some rule, or otherwise what would stop Shez naming a full strength (or 6 first teamers) side but subbing 6 or all of them 30seconds after the match has started?

I don't know, but there must be some rule, or otherwise what would stop Shez naming a full strength (or 6 first teamers) side but subbing 6 or all of them 30seconds after the match has started?

Well you can only use 3 subs :wink:

Interesting that when Hughes was subbed, Lewis came on which kept the six rule.