Exiled Oldhamers

one thing i miss is rag pudding, which was made by the late col shaw's gran in fitton hill(r.i.p) and chips and musy peas from the full monty in chadderton and a great pint of boddys bitter and sausage rolls and vimto and latics

Sounds like you need to come back Bob! No need to get on the chat room then either ;)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I miss about Rochdale.......... initially

Seabrooks (even though they are yarkshire)

Warbies

Oven bottom and last but certainly not least

Hollands

Now that the wall as come down and the south as caught up

Seabrooks quite easily available, but hate the new packets

Warbies........ got very excited when they built a £5million bakery in the East end a few years ago

Hollands the odd pasty can be found in Iceland .. rare . any now other varieties

Oven bottom alas no

Never missed me proper bitter ... but work hada barrell of JW on a few weeks ago, it was lovely (and I hate JW normally)

one thing i miss is rag pudding, which was made by the late col shaw's gran in fitton hill(r.i.p) and chips and musy peas from the full monty in chadderton and a great pint of boddys bitter and sausage rolls and vimto and latics

My mum still calls me round to hers for rag puddin, mash and gravy. Jesus im starvin now

...just to add! I did source the Rushton's Originals to a factory in Sheffield where they are still made, they would send me a whole tub for £25 if I wanted. I think the company was Mawson's.

I know that was a tad boring but they really are that good, I think Latics have scored more goals as a result of me sucking these fine sweets over the years.

Rushton's are usually in stock at the newsagents at Suburbs on Hollins Road...........leave some for me! :grin:

A decent and cheap chippy. My nearest chippy wouldn't know a jumbo sausage if it hit it on the arse and it is very expensive at over £5 for chips and sausage (compared to the £1.70 i pay in Heywood).

Not having to worry about the logistics for a home game (and being able to leave at 2.45pm and still get to BP in time for kick-off- although I wouldn't do this anymore).

I'm sure more will come to me in time.

A decent and cheap chippy. My nearest chippy wouldn't know a jumbo sausage if it hit it on the arse and it is very expensive at over £5 for chips and sausage (compared to the £1.70 i pay in Heywood).

Not having to worry about the logistics for a home game (and being able to leave at 2.45pm and still get to BP in time for kick-off- although I wouldn't do this anymore).

I'm sure more will come to me in time.

Miss loads of things from Oldham & the UK... BUT a chippy tea has got to be the most missed. They don't know what the word "chippy" means here. Meat & Potato pie chips & gravy... Aaah, can't wait to be over in a couple of weeks for my fix! :grin:

Yes, yes, yes... I miss them so much, especially the gooey Cheese and Onion ones, my mum use to cook (microwave) them so well, the crust was to die for. Also Rushton's Originals sweets... as rare as hens teeth!

Spot on! :applause1:

Hang on...

(microwave)

:swordfight::boxer::youroff::angry:

Pastry-murderer. What else do you do, smear them in Marmite?

Okay, maybe I was being harsh on my mum there, she did use the oven too. I also remember her steaming the Holland's puddings to perfection. I didn't try the Marmite option, was always a tommy sauce fan.

As for a good chippy... I bought a Fish Supper last week, cost me nearly £7!!! Cheeky buggers insist on puring watery broon sauce over it too, what is wrong with these people up here? You can't even get batter bits either. Grrrrrrrr

Warbies

Hollands

Warbies........ got very excited when they built a £5million bakery in the East end a few years ago

Hollands the odd pasty can be found in Iceland .. rare . any now other varieties

Oven bottom alas no

Never missed me proper bitter ... but work hada barrell of JW on a few weeks ago, it was lovely (and I hate JW normally)

Forgot to had ...... miss less than an hours travel to BP!!!

Warbies

Hollands

Oven bottom alas no

Forgot to add ...... miss less than an hours travel to BP!!!

I visit Oldham well over 40 times a year so have every opportunity to restock on Rushton's throat sweets anf Uncle Joe's mint balls. I miss Compo's fish and chips since it closed down - now have to go to Mr. Thomas's at Hollingworth Lake for comparable quality.

I would like to walk through the surrounding countryside, but never have the time.

Try "David's" in Milnrow - bottom of Kiln Lane next to the new Carpet Shop that was the Video Shop for years. Mr Thomas' (note proper use of apostrophe) was sold off to new owners I believe.

Try "David's" in Milnrow - bottom of Kiln Lane next to the new Carpet Shop that was the Video Shop for years. Mr Thomas' (note proper use of apostrophe) was sold off to new owners I believe.

for anybody passing through and missing the good old rag puddings....i do believe you can get them at the bridgewater pub on the corner of manchester road and chapel road.....and there the size of a small pillow case!!!

apparently someone i know went there on official latics buisness 2 weeks ago,and was gobsmacked at the size of it,took 3 of them to finish it off!!!

Rag Puddings!!!!!!!

Good god. Forgot about them aswell, even though I dont eat meat anymore my Nan's Rag Puddings were the best.

She used to boil them for about a week they were that big.

Rag puddings with brown sauce the business.