Brett Ormerod Signing !

Who knows whats going on behind the scenes. We know there's been alot of interest in Taylor with bids recieved and the way he's started the season we'll have had plenty more in now. Sure it's not January but they'll be clubs who've thrown there hand in early with promised bids. Hughes goals ratio is up there so again maybe one or two have looked. I think Davies was probably one of those that the club recievec some interest in along with the reported interest in Deano and Eardley. No matter how we're going this season come January our club will sell at that right price. I just hope Ormerod isn't here to be looked at with a view to moving into Tayls position come January.

I am not so sure regading this at the mo. I'll reserve my judgement till I've seen Ormerod play. We'll have no great height or ariel power from the punts up field with Brett and Hughes up top. I know Shez doesn't advocate the Ronnie Moore style but we do revert to it sometimes.

Couldnt see Ormerod on the left TBH

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all our goals, our non-Hughes strikers aren't exactly banging them away...

Hughes: 6

Alessandra: 1

O'Grady: 0

Davies: 0

I love the mentality of the average Latics fan too, "HUghes must be off!", "Davies is going to be moved out of position!", "How much are we paying HIM!!!" :D

Don't look too much into it, just smile. :)

If your not playing games your not going to score are you? Only one of those strikers has played enough games to warrant worrying about his scoring record and thats Alessandra.

Bit of a baffling signing for me it's not like we are struggling to score goals and dont look threatening going forward ie In Sheridans first season when we barely scored in our opening 5 or 6 games.

Plus side Ormerods a good player, and it shows we're not as skint as we think we are with the way Corney keeps banging on about attendances.

EXPLAIN!!!

Doesn't really take much explaining does it?

As for Ormerod, he's here for a month to gain fitness and see where he stands in Preston's scheme of things.

We have him as our other strikers (than Hughes) can't hit a barn door at the moment.

If he turns out crap, we'll just have shut of him after a month - and we have plenty of replacements. If he turns out good, then we've at the least had loan of a positive player on the side for at least a month.

No loser this one.

Can't believe people are questioning the signing.

Look Omerod is fit and raring to go, trying to impress us and Preston and is also a very good player.

O'Grady couldn't score in The Georgian, Lewis isn't a goal machine more of a supplier, Davies isn't fit/on form and Hughes has a dodgy groin. Oh and Wolfy couldn't catch at Springhead. All in all makes sense to me. We are trying to get out of this division aren't we?

1st thing strikes u is ... WHY look to strengthen up top given the numbers we have

Altho like peeps hav said w/o hughes 1 goal ... and despite having 3-genuine threats in midfield and are have fired 24 already we need 2 strikers threatening 20goals if we are to reach automatic promotion ....

Hughes - if fit gets 20-25 easy

Davies - never gona be a 20goal man BUT will chip in if he gets his confidence back

Lewi - despite his superb link-up play he doesn't look a REAL goal threat

O'Grady - 11goals in league2 says he isn't a goalscorer - nothing has changed my mind

So this goes a long way to explainig the signing.

If Omerod still has that pace, he is a goal-getter and should strengthen the team for sure - hopefully help to bring on Lewi and sort out Davies' attitude tho is aint gona improve his confidence !!

Well Played Shez

Davies - never gona be a 20goal man BUT will chip in if he gets his confidence back

Eh? :dunce: He bagged 13 last year while missing quite a few games, he only played 31 out of 46 league games. At 23 I'm sure he will be capable of scoring 20 goals in a good side.

Shez won’t have done this on a whim, for whatever reason he must see the striker situation as an area that could cost us. My guessing is that it’s partly for fear of Hughesys’ testicles and partly because nobody else is scoring. We would lose a lot of momentum if we had to play a run of games with Lewis/COG/CD up front, instead fingers crossed Hughes stays fit and him and Ormerod see us top in a months time, during which maybe the others will be fighting to keep in touch of the squad. To be fair to Shez he probably expected that one or other of them would have bagged a few but it isn’t happening right now.

Eh? :dunce: He bagged 13 last year while missing quite a few games, he only played 31 out of 46 league games. At 23 I'm sure he will be capable of scoring 20 goals in a good side.

His form this season backs this comment up....oh wait.... :tongue1:

Edited by oafc0000

Hmmm. Now I'm a bit of a critic of Davies, but last season if he didn't get injured at that time he was well on course for 20 goals.

LOL. yes m8 ... doh!! on me

he had 13 or so at Swansea i think in around Feb/March ... just don't think he looks the player that got that many in early 07/08 - just take the 2nd half against Accrington for instance, with the determination and commitment he showed there (won 2nd half on own) he should be a HUGE threat alongside Hughes BUT despite the potential of the partnership, he simply aint looked the same player since Hughes took the ball off him at Bournmouth last year for the pen .... im certain there is an EGO issue there, he seems to sulk a lot more for sure (altho some one did point out that he was the player who clapped Hughes the most when subbed)

Hmmm. Now I'm a bit of a critic of Davies, but last season if he didn't get injured at that time he was well on course for 20 goals.

Yeah Davies can get 20 easy but I honestly reckon that the team as a whole can score more without him at the moment. It's not just his touch it's his inabilty/unwillingness to play in team mates. When Craig plays il always back him to score, but not his strike partner!! Poor decision maker to say the least. I reckon players like Davies are more useful to struggling sides than top of the table ones, if you know what I mean! :lol:

LOL. yes m8 ... doh!! on me

he had 13 or so at Swansea i think in around Feb/March ... just don't think he looks the player that got that many in early 07/08 - just take the 2nd half against Accrington for instance, with the determination and commitment he showed there (won 2nd half on own) he should be a HUGE threat alongside Hughes BUT despite the potential of the partnership, he simply aint looked the same player since Hughes took the ball off him at Bournmouth last year for the pen .... im certain there is an EGO issue there, he seems to sulk a lot more for sure (altho some one did point out that he was the player who clapped Hughes the most when subbed)

great signing....shoiws the intent of the owners and the manager

davies has been hit n miss all season,some will say he hasnt been given a chance,but to many he blew it big style at rochdale,then missing training put the top hat on it.

if hughes gets a bad knock were goosed.......simple as.

if omerod is still as good as he has been in the past he will do a good job for us.....and who is to say that it wont be a longer deal.....shez needs another striker to hit the net when hughes doesnt,we now have that option.....

good signing.

When was this?

not too long after the rochdale game....the club fined him for his idiotic sending off and getting banned.....so he missed 2 or 3 training sessions.....which is the real reason he hasnt been playing.

i think he is a very good prospect and potential 20 goal a season striker.but he needs to play for the team and not himself.....

omerod is head and shoulders above davies,and the prospect of both him and hughes firing them in is awesome....

not too long after the rochdale game....the club fined him for his idiotic sending off and getting banned.....so he missed 2 or 3 training sessions.....which is the real reason he hasnt been playing.

He deliberately missed them or was this when he was made to train with the youth side as most do when they've been sent off?