Brett Ormerod Signing !

"if omerod is still as good as he has been in the past he will do a good job for us" ...

Fact is, if he was still as good as that, then he would not be languishing in the reserves and then signing a one month loan with a division three side ... but hopefully he still has enough class / speed / knowledge to be a threat at this level

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"if omerod is still as good as he has been in the past he will do a good job for us" ...

Fact is, if he was still as good as that, then he would not be languishing in the reserves and then signing a one month loan with a division three side ... but hopefully he still has enough class / speed / knowledge to be a threat at this level

Let's be honest, this is the guy's level. He's only been prolific with Blackpool and Accrington Stanley and didn't do too badly at Southampton but didn't really justify the money they paid for him. So he's not really a Premiership has been, he's proven at this level and is still only 31, so I have every faith in this signing.

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

or am i reading a fallout within the ranks....mr o'grady mr hughes mr davies mr wolfenden and now a loanee????five strikers add to the equation mr smalley somat's not right

but on a lighter note ,fantastic signing someone that mr davies can watch and learn from....

it's looking good

Not sure if it's been mentioned before and can't be bothered to trawl through to avoid a Titanic moment...but it's good to see perhaps that there was more to the Trotman deal than first met the eye...first JJ and now Ormerod...even if it's just a case of being on good terms with Preston, perhaps Neal's move has had further benefits than the initial fee.

Anyway, welcome to BP, Brett.

Edited by jsslatic

Absolutely. We're among the the top scorers in the league. Does it actually matter how the goals are distributed? Hughes is well in among the goals as we know, but midfield have chipped in well this season with Lids and Taylor both on 5 each and Whittaker and Allott also in the mix.

I hear 'we need a 20 goal a season' striker, or even 2 to get us promoted a bit on this board.

As an Oldham fan in his thirties I have only experienced one promotion, 90/91, and we had nobody with 20+ goals. But we scored lots and they were distributed around the team.

Given a choice of Hughes 26 goals, Davies 20 goals, and less than 25 from Talyor, Whitiker, Liddlell, Allot combined

OR

Hughes 18, Davies 14, Taylor 14, Whittiker 13, Liddlel 12, Allott 10 and a few defenders with 5 or so.

I'd take the latter. Much harder to stop a team scoring when they can come from anywhere. Also any dip in form from an individual player scoring doesn't have quite the impact on the team.

Omerod from my knowledge is a player that brings others into the game, and Jones does the same esp for Taylor and can also have a pop.

Great signings

Not sure if it's been mentioned before and can't be bothered to trawl through to avoid a Titanic moment...but it's good to see perhaps that there was more to the Trotman deal than first met the eye...first JJ and now Ormerod...even if it's just a case of being on good terms with Preston, perhaps Neal's move has had further benefits than the initial fee.

Anyway, welcome to BP, Brett.

Having a senior moment. JJ?

or am i reading a fallout within the ranks....mr o'grady mr hughes mr davies mr wolfenden and now a loanee????five strikers add to the equation mr smalley somat's not right

but on a lighter note ,fantastic signing someone that mr davies can watch and learn from....

it's looking good

People are looking into it too much. Let's face the fact, only one of our strikers has scored since the first game of the season. We can't just rely on Hughes for the goals. Taylor and Liddell have chipped in but our other strikers need to be scoring as well. If they don't you bring someone in who will.

Just spoke to my cousin who's a season ticket holder at PNE, he said Omerod is still a quality player and will be a quality signing for us. He said he doesn't stop running and scores quite a few goals as well as setting others up, but only if he stays fit!!!!!!! :unsure:

Me too. A nice statement of intent, getting Ormerod in, in my opinion.

Yeah I agree, but does anyone else think we are getting mixed messages from the club here......... one minute we have to sell a star player in January because the crowds are poor, then a few weeks later we sign a Championship player on loan? Here's an idea, stick with the strikers we've got and keep Taylor in January, after all his wages won't be as high as an ex-Premier Greed player!

Yeah I agree, but does anyone else think we are getting mixed messages from the club here......... one minute we have to sell a star player in January because the crowds are poor, then a few weeks later we sign a Championship player on loan? Here's an idea, stick with the strikers we've got and keep Taylor in January, after all his wages won't be as high as an ex-Premier Greed player!

I can only see one message from our illustrious leaders.....Promotion!!!! :grin:

I think Hughes and Omerod upfront will be as good as any strike partnership in this division.....

A few Leeds fans might disagree :lol: but i'm with you on this one!

Shez has certainly show his intent on nailing promotion at this time of asking, the goals should be flying in against Leicester and back to the top of the pile after we crush scunny :D

If by "redundant" you mean, "has a chance of being next in line off the bench or starting should Hughesy's conkers play up or Ormerod have a reaction to first team games," then I guess so. Lewis got a run of games, Davies would have been in line but made a fool of himself and fell back, COG hasn't sparked yet whilst showing promise. I think Shez has moved through the options and is biding his time until The Wolf is ready to contend fully.

:lol::grin:

I think when we say 20 goals...we generally mean around 20......me thinks this has been worked out a tad too precise!!!

Fair enough. As for precise, figures were aimed to make a point.

But my point was I would prefer 3 players with 15 goals than 2 with 23. And so on.

re: my other post. JJ = Jarrett. Forgot where we got him from. JJ always triggers memories of old tolberone boots himself...

The rarely wrong Chron says Ormerod’s contract is set to run for just over one month, taking in seven league games and the FA Cup first round. It's not like the Chron to be wrong very often, :unsure: so that reads as though PNE are happy for him to be cup-tied.

The rarely wrong Chron has now come up with dufferent wording:

"could be involved in up to seven league games during his initial month on loan."

No mention of the F.A. Cup!

It quotes Ormerod as saying: “It has been frustrating not playing for Preston this season, but I’ll be ready if I play on Saturday.

“Oldham have had a good start to the season and I had no hesitation in signing. Hopefully I can help them win plenty more games.

“I don’t expect to walk into the side, especially after a 4-0 win at the weekend, because there are a lot of good strikers at the club.

“I’ve come here to play some football and the Leicester game is a big one, so fingers crossed I’ll be involved.

“I heard about Oldham’s interest over the weekend and I’m at the stage of my career where I don’t want to be travelling around the country sitting in the stand.

“I’m hoping to be involved regularly, play a few games and help Oldham get where they want to go.

“I know there are good, experienced players here, and I’ve been around for a while myself – I’m probably a bit wiser than I used to be, a bit more mature.

“Dropping down a division doesn’t worry me because I did it at Nottingham Forest near the end of last season and we won promotion. If there’s one thing I can guarantee, I will be giving Oldham 100 per cent.”