Playoffs

Lookers_Carl

Playoff System  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Which playoff system do you think the FL should use from the following

• Mcintyre Final 4
    • Mcintyre Final 5
    • RL System (Adaptation of Mcintyre Final 6)
    • Mcintyre Final 8
    • Stick with current format

This has been on my mind for a while. Considering we could very well be in the playoff mix this season, thought this would make for good discussion.

I would guess alot of people would be against such a change, but I think the playoff format adopted in the football league needs changing on the basis that I dont think 3rd place get enough of a reward, and home advantage in 2nd leg doesn't count for much if you balls up the first leg.

There are many other fairer systems out there that are used world wide, some of which I have explained below. Have a goosey at them then cast your vote.

Each system has the following in common

- Final to be played at wembley as normal

- All other games are one off games, with home advantage being determined by league position

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MCINTYRE FINAL 4 SYSTEM

Using league 1 as an example, top 2 go up automatically, with playoffs consisting of 3rd through to 6th

Home

ROUND 1

A: 5th vs 6th

B: 3rd vs 4th

ROUND 2

C: Winner of A vs Loser of B

FINAL

Winner of B vs Winner of C

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MCINTYRE FINAL 5 SYSTEM

Using league 1 as an example, top 2 go up automatically, with playoffs consisting of 3rd through to 7th

Home

ROUND 1

A: 6th vs 7th

B: 4th vs 5th

ROUND 2

C: Loser of B vs Winner A

D: 3rd vs Winner B

ROUND 3:

E: Loser D vs Winner C

FINAL

Winner of D vs Winner of E

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RL SYSTEM (ADAPTATION OF MCINTYRE FINAL 6 SYSTEM)

Using league 1 as an example, top 2 go up automatically, with playoffs consisting of 3rd through to 8th

QUALIFYING SEMI

A: 3rd vs 4th

ELIMINATOR QUARTER FINALS

B: 5th vs 8th

C: 6th vs 7th

ELIMINATOR SEMI FINALS

D: Winner of B vs Winner C

FINAL ELIMINATOR

E: Loser of A vs Winner D

FINAL

Winner of A vs Winner of E

MCINTYRE FINAL 8 SYSTEM

Using league 1 as an example, top 2 go up automatically, with playoffs consisting of 3rd through to 10th

ROUND 1

A: 6th vs 7th

B: 5th vs 8th

C: 4th vs 9th

D: 3rd vs 10th

4 Winners and 2 highest rank losers go through, 2 lowest ranked losers eliminated

ROUND 2

E: 4th Highest Ranked Winner from Round 1 vs 2nd Highest Ranked Loser from Round 1

F: 3rd Highest Ranked Winner from Round 1 vs 1st Highest Ranked Loser from Round 1

ROUND 3

G: 2nd Highest Ranked Winner from Round 1 vs Winner of F

H: 1st Highest Ranked Winner from Round 1 vs Winner of E

FINAL

Winner G vs Winner H

I think the RL format would be much fairer than the current format, financially and for sporting reasons, on the basis that

- Your league position genuinely does count for more when you get to the playoffs. Ie third would get 2 chances to reach the final, both games would be played at home. And in order for 8th or 7th to reach the final they would have to play every game en route to the final away from home.

- With the systems of 5 and 6 teams, both formats consist of 6 games as opposed to the 5 in the current format, hence more money in the pot for the teams involved (although would have to be divided 5 ways as opposed to four)

What does everyone else think?

Edited by Lookers_Carl

I do like the RL syetem - my only major problem however is momentum... suppose it can be countered by the fact that the team who wins the first game gets a bit of a rest, but I always think the system favours the team that has just won 2 or 3 games on the bounce... especially when you get into 5 or 6 teams being involved....

... at the end of the day though... i'd leave it how it is.... :)

Wheres the option for scrap them, should never have been brought in in the first place, top three up, bottom three down. I hate the play-offs, always will. That first season when we lost broke my heart and I see no reason why they shouldn't be scraped - "It extends the season" - Rubbish, the season is long enough as it is, even though I miss the footie in the summer it should end when all league games have been played, if you finish in the top three then you are up.

Wheres the option for scrap them, should never have been brought in in the first place, top three up, bottom three down. I hate the play-offs, always will. That first season when we lost broke my heart and I see no reason why they shouldn't be scraped - "It extends the season" - Rubbish, the season is long enough as it is, even though I miss the footie in the summer it should end when all league games have been played, if you finish in the top three then you are up.

Absolutely, the top 3 deserve to go up, not the team that finishes 6th.

Exactly-the play-offs were the first steps in the absurd rip-off that professional football has become over the past two decades.

They should make it like Boxing. If you beat the team who is on top you yourself end up on top. If you are in tenth and you beat the team in fourth then the two teams switch places.

It would be good because while you were at the top you would be making defenses. A game 19th versus 21st might not have too much appeal for the fans though.

I just think the top 3 should go up. Play offs are pretty exciting (and depressing for us in recent years), but there's a whole season to prove your worth. The top three were the best all season so the top three should go up.

This should change if Leeds or Millwall come third

I think the playoffs are a great idea but having two legs is not as exciting as one game. Having promotion for the top 3 only is ultimately boring and leaves many clubs having nothing to play for. At least in the premiergreed they have Champions league and Uefa places to go for. I reckon extending the system in a manner similarly to the RL 6 would be pretty interesting and would get a few more watching.

Alternatively we could copy what they do in the US and have a series of nine game against a team and base it on matches won rather than goals scored. :wink:

I just think the top 3 should go up. Play offs are pretty exciting (and depressing for us in recent years), but there's a whole season to prove your worth. The top three were the best all season so the top three should go up.

This should change if Leeds or Millwall come third

One thing you can't deny is that the play offs make the season far more interesting.

Very few end of season games now and although the latics have a dismal record i still think they are good.

The only thing i would change is that IF the 2 teams are level at the end of the 2 games then the team that finishes higher in the league progress.

If the team who finish 5th or 6th want to progress then they must beat the team above them not draw.

Other than that leave alone.

I'm usually quite traditionalist about rule changes but I think the play-offs have been a massive success. There's often hardly a single team that don't have to look over their shoulder or up the table with a few games to go as compared to a situation where half the teams were thinking about summer holidays with 10 matches left. The "unfairness" on the 3rd team is just one of those things, they rules are set out before you start off the season.

To be honest the play offs where only brought in because the football league wanted to see bigger clubs in higher divisions and therefore wanted to see say a team like Leeds or City, Sheff Weds a few years back another way to win promotion.

not a massive fan of the playoffs, but the first season when we finished 3rd and playesl deeds did ipwich they not play chartlon who finished 3rd bottom in then what was division 1 not overly a bad idea, but if it is the 4 teams from thes same dividion think the team that finishes highest should get home advantage in a one off game

hate that rugby league idea

Edited by neiladamsheadband

not a massive fan of the playoffs, but the first season when we finished 3rd and playesl deeds did ipwich they not play chartlon who finished 3rd bottom in then what was division 1 not overly a bad idea, but if it is the 4 teams from thes same dividion think the team that finishes highest should get home advantage in a one off game

hate that rugby league idea

Rugby League only use it to generate interest. It works in there game but not in football.

I like the Mcintyre Final 4 idea. I think the current format is good but a bit dated. By finishing 3rd/4th you should have a bigger advantage to the teams who finished 5th/6th. My only hope is that we get there in the first place!

I like the Mcintyre Final 4 idea. I think the current format is good but a bit dated. By finishing 3rd/4th you should have a bigger advantage to the teams who finished 5th/6th. My only hope is that we get there in the first place!

think it should be as follows

3rd strait to wembley for final

4th home game v winners of 5/6th winners to final

5th play 6th at home winners play 4th away

no replays extra time then pens

all games are played inside 1 week

incentive to finnish as high as possible to get a home fixture reward for finishing higher less games

They should make it like Boxing. If you beat the team who is on top you yourself end up on top. If you are in tenth and you beat the team in fourth then the two teams switch places.

It would be good because while you were at the top you would be making defenses. A game 19th versus 21st might not have too much appeal for the fans though.

Please tell me you were kidding?

What, so if Walsall are somehow in the bottom 4 at the end of the season, and we're 4th, and they get a shock win, we should go down, and they should get a chance to go to Wembley?

Can't believe anyone can argue that the play offs are a bad idea its the best idea to come out of the football league if you disagree look at the attendences they get and this is when Sky want to cover every game it generates massive interest. Not only that if gives teams who are mid table in march something to aim at and the lower league teams a chance for a proper day out at Wembley. Going back to the old format of the top 3 going up would take tens of thousands of the aggregate attendences of the football league make it lesss attractive to TV companies and would sign the death warrent of football below the Premiership. Oh and football league attendences have gone up and up since their introduction.

I don't care that Ive seen us get beat in them twice I would rather we were in their having the drama and excitement.

The play-offs probably kept Oldham Athletic solvent last season.

We were pretty crap.

We were always "within reach" of the play-offs - just a few points - so a good run at the right time would have sneaked us in.

We were never within reach of automatic promotion.

What would the crowds have been if we were mid-table and knew that promotion or relegation wouldn't happen?

The play-offs must be kept. No reason to change the current format.

How else will Rochdale get to play Stockport in front of 35,000?

Edited by opinions4u