FAO Barry Owen & Oldham Athletic

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All the same i would like club to admit they have lied to us regarding Hughes' contract. And if they haven't then to prove it.

Whoa!! So far we have a rumour - and I respect that you think it's from a good source- and only a rumour about Hughes being available at £300k and bids actively being sought. You also believe - and again that's fine - that the clause in his contract is for that figure not the £400K mentioned recently.

We have rumours about players coming and coming, dressing room fights, off the field activities etc etc pretty much constantly. A few turn out to have some substance . the majority dribble away. The club has much better things to do than respond to every one of them. Particularly if they have a comercial sensitivity.

If , and I say if, Hughes does go in the short term, then we can look at the fee and circumstances and evaluate what the club says. Currently I'm afraid, no matter how unsettling it is, we have to accept that between now and the end of January some of our players may be the object of bids - and the club's owners have to take a decision (and it will be based on judgement not certainty) as to how that impacts on the financial viability of the the club. We all desparately want promotion , and I want all our good players to be kept. Whether that's achievable ......

But language about lies etc isn't helpful.

Edited by LaticsPete

Yeah 'cos it's a totally normal thing to do for businesses to put out details of an employees contract into the public domain!

Contracts are between the company and the employee and nobody else has to know about it, it's a private matter! Whatever the figure is whether it be £300K or £400K we already know much more than we have any right to!

Yeah 'cos it's a totally normal thing to do for businesses to put out details of an employees contract into the public domain!

Contracts are between the company and the employee and nobody else has to know about it, it's a private matter! Whatever the figure is whether it be £300K or £400K we already know much more than we have any right to!

The point is there is NO release clause in his contract if what im being told is correct. Therefore the club making this up to try to sell him, thus contradicting the statment that they want him to stay.

The point is there is NO release clause in his contract if what im being told is correct. Therefore the club making this up to try to sell him, thus contradicting the statment that they want him to stay.

I'm afraid, logical thinking prevents me to jump to that conclusion (blue) based on the previous statement (red) not being confirmed.

Barry's statement on Hughes posted on the 1st December.

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...p;hl=barry+owen

Who's knows what his contract contains, that's his and the clubs business .......... not ours!!

We travel around watching the team through good times and bad, we pay our money each week and you know what ....... it's still their business not ours. What right do we have to demand to know the ins and outs of the running of the club ..... absolutely none. Let them get on with it and trust them to do things for the good of the club.

Barry's statement on Hughes posted on the 1st December.

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...p;hl=barry+owen

Who's knows what his contract contains, that's his and the clubs business .......... not ours!!

We travel around watching the team through good times and bad, we pay our money each week and you know what ....... it's still their business not ours. What right do we have to demand to know the ins and outs of the running of the club ..... absolutely none. Let them get on with it and trust them to do things for the good of the club.

Surely the club should not be lying to the fans though ? i dont mind them not telling us things but lying to us does seem unacceptable.

Surely the club should not be lying to the fans though ? i dont mind them not telling us things but lying to us does seem unacceptable.

I don't see where the club has lied to us. If he goes for £300k it's because the club has decided to sell him at that price. The £400k mentioned is the release clause meaning the club cannot do anything about Lee talking to other clubs once said club has met the £400k value. The club are well within their rights to sell for less than that if they so wish.

Guest oa_exile
In what way have they lied to "us" ? :blink:

I don't see where the club has lied to us.

THe club havent lied to the fans.

Nothing offical has ever been released.

................... :tumbleweed:

Well Lordy :huh:

THe club havent lied to the fans.

Nothing offical has ever been released.

isnt it a fact that any player who is in the last 6 months of there contract are allowed to talk to other clubs at some point in january???

i dont think there is a clause in his contract...i think at the time of signing he was just grateful to be given a chance to play football again.

and considering how he has conducted himself since being here and the good rapour he enjoys with the fans,i reckon if someone did come in with a cash offer he would rather leave that way giving something back to the club rather than just walking away at the end of the season for nothing saying he tried his best.....

i also dont think the club is duty bound to inform fans of everything there doing and every rumour we hear....but i do think if there is a momentum building rumour regarding our best striker at the club,that a simple statement could be made....along the lines of..."we have heard recent rumours regarding lee hughes,as a club we would like to say that lee hughes is an oldham player and doing his job helping us to go for promotion" or something like that.