So, if we lose in the playoffs does Shez get another contract?

Bring Back Ronnie Moore

Does Shez get another contract?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Does Shez get another contract at the end of the season?

• Only if we get promoted.
    • If we make the playoffs.
    • Keep him, regardless if we make the playoffs or not. (within reason)
    • Get rid, regardless if we get promoted.

I know some of the consensus around here is that it's promotion or bust for Shez, but is it really the case?

Personally if we finish in the playoffs that enough earns him at least another year. In a 3 year period he would have led us to the playoffs twice and matched our best position under any previous manager since the near collapse of the club in 2003. Then ask yourself who else could we get more committed to the club? we don't need to be told Shez loves the club and given time I'm confident he's the manager to get us out of here, I mean how long did it take for us to get success under Joe? Obviously should we have a dire second half of the season and not finish in the playoffs by some margin then I probably will agree that we should try someone else, especially as our key players will pretty much leave the club too.

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We finished 8th last season, better than anyone bar Dowie I reckon, since we dropped to this level.

I think a fair bit of this depends on what happens in the next month. If we keep Taylor and Hughes then really we have to make the playoffs as a minimum*. Lose either of them (or both) and anything respectable (i.e. above Tranmere) is okay. You'd expect us to be able to compete without either of them to a level, but you can't just sell off the crown jewels and expect to be up there any more (see Crewe).

*I'd expect him to be gone. I'd not be calling for his head as it would mean I'd end up having to change my username, which is far too much effort.

I know some of the consensus around here is that it's promotion or bust for Shez, but is it really the case?

Personally if we finish in the playoffs that enough earns him at least another year. In a 3 year period he would have led us to the playoffs twice and matched our best position under any previous manager since the near collapse of the club in 2003. Then ask yourself who else could we get more committed to the club? we don't need to be told Shez loves the club and given time I'm confident he's the manager to get us out of here, I mean how long did it take for us to get success under Joe? Obviously should we have a dire second half of the season and not finish in the playoffs by some margin then I probably will agree that we should try someone else, especially as our key players will pretty much leave the club too.

I think it depends very much on the nature of how we reach our final standing. To a certain extent we could be said to be underperforming whereas last year our 8th place seemed very good considering the level of injuries we had. If we dont get promotion or even into the playoffs this season, is there anyone else that we can get who will be significantly better or will it be a change for the sake of change.

I think we should have a new manager every week, we don't need consistency and should be paying off contracts left right and centre. With the crowds we get we should be performing a lot better than we are and I blame TTA, they should feck off now I'm bored of them taking money out of the club. And that owl rubbed his beak in my my wife's teeets and went brrrrrrr plus other clubs have bigger fat men than we do, that Gordon has lost weight and is an embarrassment.

Question's immaterial. I'm sure Shez is contracted until the end of next season. He was given a three year extension towards the end of 06/07.

However, play offs is the minimum expectation - with or without Hughes and Taylor. Don't forget a team of kids and loanees managed 8th and whilst it is a stronger league this year it wasn't too shabby last season. Swansea, Forest, Donny, Leeds, Carlisle, Millwall, Southend etc...

I would also like to add that alot could depend on who is available. There is no point sacking shez unless you can bring in someone who you think can do the job better.

IF we change the manager, the end of this season is probably the best time considering how many players are out of contract. Woud give whoever is in charge more or less a clean slate.

For me, if we limp into the playoffs and are well beaten, depending on who is available, maybe time for a change.

If we dont make the playoffs with Hughes and Taylor in the squad, defo time for a change.

If we dont make the playoffs without hughes and/or taylor, if we just miss out I would let him see out his contract. If we tailed off dramatically then I would say again maybe time for a change.

If we make the playoffs and give em a damn good crack, then I would give him till the end of his contract.

Question's immaterial. I'm sure Shez is contracted until the end of next season. He was given a three year extension towards the end of 06/07.

However, play offs is the minimum expectation - with or without Hughes and Taylor. Don't forget a team of kids and loanees managed 8th and whilst it is a stronger league this year it wasn't too shabby last season. Swansea, Forest, Donny, Leeds, Carlisle, Millwall, Southend etc...

Eh?

Shez does really well with a "team of kids" so has now raised expectation and should therefore improve on this or go?

So, if a different manager had achieved 14th with the same bunch, he'd do ok to finish 7th with this years squad and get a new contract?

Shez is only in his 3rd year as a manager and has provided 2 of the most successful seasons since we've been in this divisions, where we've had 6 other managers, a fair few of whom were rated and experienced. I fully expect the play offs, but if we miss out, is it really a good idea to get rid?

Start again with a warnock-esque, maybe miss out the cash strapped ritchie years, move on to a wadsworth, a dowie (without big cash), a talbot and then a moore for another 10 years before we see 3 years of top 10 finishes in a row? :blink:

There is a generally accepted view amongst football media types (pundits etc) and a lot of fans that for sustained success a club needs stability in its manager. There is some evidence to back this up as well e.g. Ferguson; Wenger; Royle etc, but you can also point to managers that come into a club and achieve instant success as well - so the evidence is not conclusive.

However there a number of high-profile clubs that have chopped and changed managers at alarming regularity (Newcastle, City, Spurs) over the last 10 years and been rewarded with poor performance against the standards they strive for.

I believe that we should be backing Sheriden for the 'long-term' and that failing relegation / a relegation fight - I would keep him next season. And to be honest, if we finish top 10 this year and next year, but are still stuck in League One, I would consider giving him another year, maybe two. I think he is improving and will continue to do so - yes some of his substitutions / selections / signings don't necessarily agree with what all the fans want, but name me a manager who's do? And these are the type of things that managers get better at over time.

Getting rid of Sheriden means finding another manager. We are not going to get a proven, succesful and great manager - they have jobs. So we then get either another untried manager or one that has failed at least once somewhere else.

Also getting rid of him before his contract would cost money - so stick with him.

Perhaps the TTA should go for a completely radical approach to team management? Have team selections decided by an online voting system on a subscription based website - the fans pay to vote for the team. Substitutions would be decided by a text vote at the game by fans watching i.e. when 50% of the ground have selected we need a subsitution, it then starts a text vote to select the player off / on.

It would be cheaper, perhaps even make money, create loads of media interest, and stop fans moaning about the manager. Employ a coach to do training, but even that could be directed by comments / votes on a website i.e. Should we stop doing short corners? Yes / No polls.

Reality Football? Its the future.

Perhaps the TTA should go for a completely radical approach to team management? Have team selections decided by an online voting system on a subscription based website - the fans pay to vote for the team. Substitutions would be decided by a text vote at the game by fans watching i.e. when 50% of the ground have selected we need a subsitution, it then starts a text vote to select the player off / on.

It would be cheaper, perhaps even make money, create loads of media interest, and stop fans moaning about the manager. Employ a coach to do training, but even that could be directed by comments / votes on a website i.e. Should we stop doing short corners? Yes / No polls.

Good God NO! There's at least 13 people on here who I wouldn't allow to vote on what to have for dinner.

It all depends on the context of the next 5 months.

Players leave that he wants to stay / budgets slashed may equal failure that's not his fault.

Continual failure to win home games leaving us 7th at season's end? I think time for a change is there.

Robbed of 2nd place by a poor refereeing decision and beaten on penalties in the play-off final by Leeds? Keep him.

Too many variables to make a clear cut decision.

Yeah, 6th 8th and another promotion push is absolutely shocking! let's get someone else in, give him 18 months to get his team together (if he lasts that long!!) and then tell him to feck off!

Great topic, great posts and those who say get rid if we don't go up! Until, Ferguson, mourinho or wenger is in charge, some of your short term patience will not pay off.

But we are the fans - the owners MAY well have their own opinion!!! :wink:

Good God NO! There's at least 13 people on here who I wouldn't allow to vote on what to have for dinner.

LOL. I'm probably one of them!

I would be an interesting experiment - the subsitutions would work a bit like that text vote for the man of the match a few years back if you remember that. It would be great, though would have to be careful it didn't get hijacked by the opposition - otherwise against Leeds, Taylor would be subbed off for Wolfy after 5 minutes.

Also you could have Wolf coming on in the second half - and Wolfs mum getting a 14 page phone bill from Vodafone the following week.

Yes! Brilliant!

Course we could go down a BBC path, where we all vote to say what we want, but Andrew Lloyd Webber gets to decide, no matter what we say :lol:

Yes! Brilliant!

Course we could go down a BBC path, where we all vote to say what we want, but Andrew Lloyd Webber gets to decide, no matter what we say :lol:

Panel of 3 judges:

Gary (something for the Ladies) Lineker; Colin Warnock (for his grumpy aggressive attitude); and Ian Holloway (for the plain bonkers nature of his comments).

I can see this rivaling Strictly (though I suppose I might need to shoe-horn a role for Rachel Stevens in short tight dresses to be certain). Can you copyright a TV idea?